Improvement Suggestion?

Mixer improvement?

Hey! Been using N for years and love it. The upgrades and features seem to keep up with my every need. Only one dislike that I’m suprised I haven’t seen come up. I really don’t like the Mixer panel. I’d like a better incremented mixer control with more travel. Check the mixer controls in Cubase or even Krystal… nice. I use a laptop with a ‘budget’ sized screen when I travel to shows and it’s just difficult to be precise.

Don’t mean to be a whiner in any way. Will still swear by N over all the rest… Just would be a nice upgrade in my opinion. Anyone else feel this way??

Not really a beef for me, but I have three complaints about this program.

1. left clicking on the tab of a track to shortcut to track menu always seems to take you to rename track, so you have to hit escape. Doesn’t do it all the time but enough to piss me off.

2. for a DAW that is not all that visually stunning, the graphic redraw and refresh rates really stink.

3. The vst config screen, especially for compression are too small. So it’s hard to set these up. I can’t seem to resize the screens and the choice of overlapping colors make it difficult to read values.

My gripes

Try using your mouse scroll wheel. Goes in .3 dB increments, which is pretty tiny, considering that the least we can hear is closer to 1dB, and I usually adjust in 1.5 dB increments. Also, note that you can adjust the upper and lower bounds in Preferences.

StuH, I agree that the window for the graphic compressor is too small. I use V3 where it’s bigger: it got shrunk to work well as an “always on” effect in V4, or something like that. I hate “always on” effects, I don’t want anything happening I didn’t do explicitly anyway. So, I turn those off, and get no benefit from the smaller compressor graph. Which, unfortunately (IIRC), you can’t stretch.

It would be really nice to turn off that new clipping indicator on the timeline. It’s great for the final mixing phase. But when you are simply laying down the tracks and reviewing what you have, etc, it is really in the way. If that feature could be toggled on and off at will, it would be very helpful.

Also, it would be nice to be able to move the track order easier and quicker - ie, bring all the final vocal tracks together, instruments, etc. Currently moving a track up or down is agonizingly slow, even on a fast daw.

But I concur with Guitodd, Flavio is awesome for what he has done to bring this software to the maturity it is now. I’m having a blast - and the bank doesn’t own me…

Oh, and how about a manual update? (the pdf file, I mean).

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’d like a better incremented mixer control with more travel.

A single mouse click above/below the slider will move the slider .1db

You can set the fader scales in the preferences too: +whatever to -whatever. File -> settings -> preferences -> volume ranges.

How much control do you want?

Willy.

<!–QuoteBegin>

[learjeff] Try using your mouse scroll wheel.

For ergonomic reasons (and space saving reasons, too) I don’t use a mouse at all, but a trackball. I swear by a Logitech Marble Mouse Trackball with optical movement detection - but no scroll wheel. I would be very disappointed if n-Track were to change in favour of a scroll wheel.

I have tried software - great software - which I simply had to abstain from using because it demanded a three-button mouse with a scroll wheel in order to reach half the functions in there…

What I would like to see as far as mixer improvements goes is the possibility of double-clicking (or right-clicking) on the fader channel and entering a dB value from the keyboard. This works very well on my Emu 1820 virtual mixer system.

regards, Nils

<!–QuoteBegin>

What I would like to see as far as mixer improvements goes is the possibility of double-clicking (or right-clicking) on the fader channel and entering a dB value from the keyboard.

I’d LOVE to see that functionality. Cubase, Sonar and a few other softies I have used have that and it is great.

What about it Flavio? Please?

D
Quote (Diogenes @ May 10 2006,02:34)
What I would like to see as far as mixer improvements goes is the possibility of double-clicking (or right-clicking) on the fader channel and entering a dB value from the keyboard.

I'd LOVE to see that functionality. Cubase, Sonar and a few other softies I have used have that and it is great.

What about it Flavio? Please?

D
I third that suggestion.

I would love that feature too. Speaking of improvements… does any one use N with a dual head setup? I am considering adding a second monitor, but I figured I would ask what the experience has been uing N like this.

Gary did, iirc. I have a long time ago. Stuck the timeline in one monitor, mixer in the other.

Perfect… That is exacty what I want.

Monitor One: Meters - Time line | Monitor two: Mixer.

Hey Bubba,

Yep. Dual screens work nicely. I don’t have two on my main DAW yet but I have tried it out with a laptop running in dual screen mode. It seems to work nicely and the additional screen real estate is fantastic to have…

D

Yeah, I am just sick to death of popping back and forth between timeline, the mixer, and the piano roll. Got me an extra dual head Matrox card here at work that needs a home…

+1 for dual screens – but note that higher video demands can hinder low latency audio. Of course, you can always switch to single-monitor mode when recording if it causes a problem.

About right-clicking faders: good suggestion. There should also be a “set to 0” choice. Let’s add that to the Wiki feature request; seems very doable, relatively simple, and I can’t think of any disadvantages or unintended consequences / interactions. (Lots of GUI requests have these problems, mostly when it affects how selection works. A very nontrivial subject.)

Quote (learjeff @ May 10 2006,12:16)
+1 for dual screens -- but note that higher video demands can hinder low latency audio. Of course, you can always switch to single-monitor mode when recording if it causes a problem.

For tracking I crank my buffers as high as they will go anyway just to cover myself. We'll see.

+1 here too. I’m using an eVGA geforce 6200, with 2 17" lcd.

I also put fruity in the second screen, so other VSTi’s could live over there as well.

Most time I put timeline on 1, and mixer with effects on the second.

I used a g450 matrox for quite a while with good results.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I used a g450 matrox for quite a while with good results.

Yeah me too. Mac over at the AM forum put me on a closeout deal for G450’s at 8 bux apiece! My Radeon 9200SE had died on me and I wanted a proven, non recource hog, dual video capable card for my DAW. For 8 bux each plus shipping I ordered TWO cards. One in the DAW box and one spare. Sure, it does not have all the fancy schmancy 3D accelerator crap… but for DAW work, it’s a DEAL.

D

My favorite trackball is the Logitech Trackman Wheel which i find very eay to use once you get used to it. I even use this to draw and find that (for me) it is easier than a mouse. Another real advantage of a trackball is that you don’t require much of a free surface to use it. I can use it standing up by placing the base on my thigh which can sometimes be useful in my particular set-up.

I find that I mostly use the wheel for fader and other control adjustments. I like the fact that it is a relative adjustment and doesn’t require an absolute position or that you even have the cursor over the control once the control is selected. This in turn means that I don’t have to look at the screen when adjusting controls.

With respect to the minimum gain adjustment step, while 1 dB is the minimal discenable level difference (with a trained listener on a good day) for a sounds in isolation, adjusting the relative level of two sounds can require a somewhat finer resolution when the sounds are nearly the same level and in the same frequency range. Once the levels are significantly different or if they do not overlap in frequency fine resolution is less important. In any case it is unlikely that resolution finer than .3dB would be required.

For material with a wide dynamic range it can be difficult to identify differences of over 10dB without a reference signal. That is not to say you won’t eventually percieve it as lower, just that it is not always obvious whether the level difference is due to variations in instntaneous program levels or if it is due to gain differences.

Jim