Inserts and Auxes

Weirdness abounds!

Eyup!

Hello mates,

I’ve been away from N-Track for about a year and have just started to get back into it again. In that time I have changed operating systems from Win98se to Win XP Pro, everything else remaining the same.

Now, here’s the weirdness:

V3.3 build 1516

When I place an effect in the Aux bus, it doesn’t work…
It gives all of the appearance of working, Aux bus Vu meters move etc, but none of the effect is returned to the mix, only unprocessed audio.
Inserts work fine when applied to a track, or group, or to the Master Channel itself.
And just for some extra weirdness, existing projects are not affected. Stuff I did previously with Aux inserts behave as expected.
I’ve done the usual uninstall/clear registry/reinstall both with N-Track and soundcard drivers without any results.

I’m kinda hoping one of you guys will say
"Beefy, you’re an idiot! just do this!"
and all will be restored to N-Track heaven. :)

Steve

when you use an aux, you have to to have to tell it how much signal to send FROM the track, and how much signal to send BACK to the mix. if the aux meters are moving, then you have sound going in. have you turned up the aux return level? and what type of plugin are you using? something like a compressor may work like you expect on a aux.

Just checking the obvious: You have the aux return faders in some other position than -Inf?

(I’ve done that several times.)

Eyup!

Yup, the return faders are in use. All that happens is that audio is returned from the busses but unprocessed i.e. no reverb, echo or whatever.
I have tried the built-in N-Track plugins and third party stuff as well.

Steve

Hi Steve:
I’m in the middle of a Big Change-over here in this set-up I have… I’ve encountered a few DX-Plugs that I have installed into XP that looks like they’re up-and-working… but infact there is no action from them… They wouldn’t work in XP in their present state… Ya gotta go to the “Home” page of these Plug Makers and see if there’s an XP install for them… That includes some verbs and compressors that I use here on a day-to-day basis… It was a real drag till I discovered that I had no idea that it was that was giving me the issue…

This '98SE to Xp change-over is Hurt’in me… Big Time… ??? Mabey, that’s not what your issue is… but don’t toss that idea away, just yet…

Mark A and phoo sure helped me through some rough times… It ain’t over yet, for me, either…

Bill…

Eyup!

Thanks Bill, I feel your pain :D

I think I’ve been lucky with the changeover, most things have gone sweetly and some issues I had in the past have now disappeared completely with XP.
I’ll investigate the plugs though, It never ocurred to me that it may cause the kind of problem I’m having. I’ve had bad plugs in the past but the symptoms were nothing like this.
Slow and steady wins the race eh?

Steve

Quote (Beefy Steve @ Aug. 30 2005,11:02)
Eyup!

Thanks Bill, I feel your pain :D

I think I’ve been lucky with the changeover, most things have gone sweetly and some issues I had in the past have now disappeared completely with XP.
I’ll investigate the plugs though, It never ocurred to me that it may cause the kind of problem I’m having. I’ve had bad plugs in the past but the symptoms were nothing like this.

Steve

<!–QuoteBegin>
Slow and steady wins the race eh?

I been known to make these Snap dicisions and in the next breath I discovered it was all-too-late… I’d have been better off if I would have pointed the gun at my foot… ??? :O

Bill…

Maybe another obvious one, but you have the wet turned up in the effect, right?

Eyup!

Thanks Bubba, but yes.

Steve

Hrm, so you can see the signal moving the meters in the plugin and in the return’s VU? That IS weird that you aren’t getting anything.

Eyup!

I’m currently in the process of installing N-Track on a machine that has had a clean install of XP.
Fortunately, all my audio stuff is on a separate hard drive and I’m going to install that on the other machine as well, along with my SBLive!
Hopefully that will give me a clue as to what’s happening.
Pity the other machine’s not mine, otherwise it would be dedicated DAW time :p

Steve

Eyup!

Mmm, not the result I hoped for…
New DAW worked 100% (as expected)
When I replaced the soundcard and hard drive into my and rebooted, guess what?

It’s a bad solder joint in the cable. I’ve seen it many times. Replace your guitar with one of those $100 gold end things and you’ll be set.

Eyup!

Yep, I need one that’s Oxygen-free Neoprene with Gold plating and a Zirconium tip.
That should give me a S/N ratio plus or minus 0.0001% of full scale deflection and a mating capability of over one million times.
I should have seen it all along :(

Steve