Install dies on Build 2042

Install of .NET 2.0 hangs

Hi,

Is anyone else having this problem? I just build a completely brand new build of Windows XP (tonight) as follows:

1. Wiped a drive with the disk manufacturers utility.
2. Installed XP SP1 on a 18 GB partition of this new 200GB drive.
3. Installed all my usual drivers (NIC, Video, Sound Card, SATA .INF file).
4. Installed SP2 from network attached hard drive. Microsoft Firewall is turned ON.
4. Ran Microsoft Update. Installed all Critical components + Windows Media Player 10. Told Update NOT to tell me to install .NET 1.1 in the future. I did NOT install .NET 2.0 from Windows Update as n-track seems to require a particular build 2.0.50727.
5. Installed all my usual software stuff (Power Archiver, Smart FTP, Office, SpyCatcher, et cetera).
6. My last step: install Build 2042. WHAT I SHOULD HAVE DONE BEFORE I DID THIS WAS SET A RESTORE POINT or used a utility like RestoreIT to set a static image of the drive at this time before I proceeded so I could rollback… word to the wise. But, alas, it is late and I wasn’t thinking. Anyway, ntrack wants to install it’s own versin of .NET 2.0 so I let it. .NET 2.0 hangs at the point of System.EnterpriseServices.dll. In the Task Manager, RegSvcs.exe is using about 50% of the CPU and and an msiexec process is running, but nothing happens… I could wait all day, and nothing would happen: hung process. According to a site I read, this is a known hang point and is associated with the Distributed Transaction Controller (DTC) which, according to these guru’s (who work for Microsoft) I would be able to go into Services and Disable the DTC… so I did. I also had to terminate the RegSvcs and msiexec that was running. To make a long story short, even taking these measures I could not get past the Sys.EnterpriseServices.dll on a re-install. I have been down this path before… now .NET 2.0 will neither completely uninstall nor completely install; that’s why I just re-built this PC.

Anyone having these same issues (that hasn’t completely just given up?) I can’t go back to earlier build levels as several of my critical songs were saved with 4.1.5 versions from the past and the .sng files are not compatible.

Thanks,

Paul

Look on the menu to the left of your screen. Click the download button. On that page look down just below SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS and click on the Microsoft Net link. It will take you to some troubleshooting link.

I think what you need to do is uninstall the Net framework as described on the link and reinstall turning all that anti anything stuff off. ALWAYS turn that stuff off when installing software. If you have stuff running in the background (the stuff next to the clock) you might turn it off as well.

Set restore points before installing software and ocassionally when everything is running smooth.

I’m running 2042 with net 2 on a cheeze wiz celeron and all is well.

It’s probably the anti spy/virus program giving you the problems. They usually do.

KingFish

Hi All:
This is exactly where I am, with these '98SE desks. But I don’t think there is a “Restore” point with them. I was contemplating “Rebuilding” those drives and installing2042… but now, I don’t thing that is the fix… 2037 was the last build that I had working on those Desks…

I have an XP Desk that has 2042 installed on it… and all is working fine.

I haven’t tried accessing any files with build 2042 yet that are on those machines… I don’t think I’ll have any trouble loading those files with 2042… Well, that remains to be seen… We’ll see…

I just don’t have any audio hardware that I can track 24-bit reselution… I am able to repro 24-bit files

I can only hope that a “fix” for this will be discovered… for these '98SE desks… I don’t possess what it’s gonna take to resolve the “Bind” I’m IN…

I wonder if Flavio has been Mailed… regarding this? Or even if Flavio is Home? I believe this is the time-of-year that Flavio goes on vacation, for a couple of weeks… Does anyone know? I think he goes “South” for a break… ???

Bill…

Hi Kingfish,

Thanks for the reply. I believe it goes a bit deeper than this. The System.EnterpriseServices.dll hang is a known issue, although obviously not on all machines. See this link for more details:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/1/8.aspx

I have tried all the workarounds this link suggests including editing the portion of the .ini for Data Execution Protection, ensuring the language is set, and disabling DTC. These guys work for Microsoft and have written a wonderful utility for cleaning up .NET 1.1 but are still scratching their heads on how to cleanup .NET 2.0.

I have tried doing the install with and without any Anti-Spyware running. There is no AV installed at all. And I realize I was dumb in not setting a restore point, that’s why I mentioned it in my post. As I said, it was late. Hopefully, between our two posts others will learn!

The two registry keys in the ntrack link you suggested do not exist in my registry… the installer never gets that far. And while the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility is a nice tool to have in your toolbox, executing the command complains and says, in essence, that .NET 2.0 install is incomplete and must the cleanup utility has to handle this… so you choose to let it continue and, of course, .NET 2.0 hangs. You can try and Cancel the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility but then the utility hangs. Interestingly enough, I also tried a removal of .NET 2.0 from Add/Remove Programs and the uninstaller complained that I needed to close the very program I had just invoked via Add/Remove Programs so it could continue… choosing Ignore or Retry had, of course, the same result… the repair or uninstall hangs.

Side note to Flavio: The following processes are hanging: RegSvcs, Ngen, and several forked processes of msiexec. RegSvcs and Ngen are chewing up 40% to 50% of the CPU time. It seems Ngen is sensitive to the security settings at compile time (on Flavio’s machine)? Here is a link to what services Ngen provides:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/6t9t5wcf.aspx

Paul

Hi Bill,
What I would suggest is “cloning” your hard drive to a second hard drive. Keep one drive as your Master drive that you only insert and use when you have completely tested the Test drive with new stuff, ie, new ntrack builds et cetera. You will need a second hard drive at least as large as the one you are currently using. If you are interested I can give you some pointers.
Paul

Hi Paul:
I have to be the worst guy on this Board for backing up drives and… the very files that would be needed to recover screwed up product that would be used to get something back up and running, again… Mark A and Phoo and a lot of guys, they know who they are… have got me outta some impossible “Jams” with all this stuff I have, here… For a lot of you up here the issues I have run into would be considered a minor inconvience… It’s different for me… I don’t have your mental resolve, around computers and their issues…

Recently, I had a bunch of Maxtor drives that were at and just beyond their warranty that gave me Post-up issues… and would stop or be slow to spin-up and not read after the Post-up and just not work, all the time… They all advised me to “Begin Ghosting” these drives… They are right… But… No… I haven’t done that yet… When will I start doing that? I should have been doing that several years ago… I’ve heard some unbelievable stories about “Trackers” who have lost whole Projects because of Drives that have failed while Tracking Sessions were in progress… AND… It has happened to me… So… when will I learn? :O ???

My work-around for it is this way…

I rarely “EDIT” tracks in the studio, anymore… I have begun to “Copy-and-Paste” the tracks to an “Editing” DAW… it’s not even in the studio… Then. I “copy-and-paste” and re-import the Edited Tracks back to the Tracking DAW for re-insertion into another Time-Line… And creating a new.sng file from the Edited, tracks…

At times, I’m not even “Tracking” in the studio… But somewhere along the process I end up in the studio to assemble the Mix… to check what I’m hearing… Sometimes, the Tracking DAW and the Editing DAW… are One-in-the-Same… machine… and vise-versa… But, not in the same inviroment/room…

Mabey, that’s why some of my tracks end up sounding the way they do… :p

There are (Pluses-and-Minuses) to that proceedure… But, by doing it that way, may help me from looseing Tracks… from drives going faulty… Well… mabey… ??? This happens to be one project that I have Cross-installed different versions and builds of n-Track… In the past, I’ve stuck with the same build of n-Track through to the Project completion…

To take something positive away from this… I’m considering this to be a good learning expirence…

Bill…

Hey Bill,

I understand your pain! But be assured someday your drive WILL fail! And it has nothing to do with the OS or ntrack. It’s a mechanical device with bearings and it does have an expected life span. Ghosting a drive is a fairly trivial thing to do… once you know how to do it! :slight_smile:

You could also buy network or USB attached storage and create backups of your data files that way. There is even imaging software out there that can clone the OS info to an attached drive for restore purposes!

Paul

Success!!! :slight_smile:

Okay, here is what I did.

1. Complete re-install of Windows XP with SP1 including reformatting the partition I was using.
2. Installed only the native stuff I needed to do the job: Intel .INF patch, NIC card driver, and SATA drive update (same as I did before, but in my previous install I also installed extra stuff off my Intel CD like RealPlayer, etc).
3. Did not install the drivers for my video card or sound card.
4. Config’d minor stuff like the paging file size, Windows look-n-feel, etc. Turned Automatic Updates off.
5. Ran the licensing wizard from Windows. Activated my license.
6. Ran Windows Update and installed the ActiveX component needed, ie, BITS, Windows Installer 3.1, et cetera. Rebooted.
7. Ran Windows Update. Validated Windows. Installed all (36+ ?; don’t remember qty) critical updates and 0 optional components. Told Windows NOT to tell me to install .NET 1.1 so I can’t make that mistake in the future. Rebooted. Note: this step is different than my previous install. I made probably a bad assumption that SP2 would roll-up all critical updates post SP1… I believe this to be a false assumption now, but who knows! The SP2 documentation says only that a Windows XP install is required, nothing about priori critical updates, etc. In retrospect, this new way was the smart way to go.
8. Installed Windows SP2 from over Internet rather than off stored file I had. Why? Just in case there was any corruption in the file. Rebooted.
9. Ran Windows Update. Installed 5 critical updates. Rebooted.
10. Ran ntrack Build 2042. It installed .NET 2.0 build 2.0.57207 (right version?). This time the install trudged right on through… no hang at System.EnterpriseServices.dll.
11. Continuing on with ntrack installed the Build 2042 without problems.

Now onto installing creating a restore Pint, installing spwyare, AV, tweaking performance, installing a myriad of other applications, installing drivers for my video and sound card, et cetera.

I’m so happy I could spit!!!

Paul

Hi Paul:
That’s a great report… It sounds like you’re up-and-running…

Now that you have a 'Restored" Desk with n-Track, with minimium Plugs and all, might it be a good thing to create another restore point? If mabey, there may have been an installed plug that might have created the issue? Well…

Now if there was a starting point for me and the '98SE desks… Could there be some advice for me regarding installing a working build of n-Track for me? I have 2042 on an XP Desk here… but not on the '98SE desk, I have…

Bill…

Hi Bill,

Actually, System restore creates Restore Points automatically by watching what you install. You can also create your own Restore Points. I have been reading more about the limitations of System Restore today. It already saved my butt tonight but it’s not a panacea. I am going to be investing in something like Acronis True Image or RestoreIT.

Had additional issues tonight. As part of Windows Update, Microsoft installed Software Distribution Service 2.0. Do a search on Google and you’ll see a lot of people asking (in essence) “What is Software Distribution Service 2.0, how did it get installed, and why has it hosed my computer?” It is part of the Windows Update download at a certain point and I did install it. It’s involved with Validation and it’s also considered “spyware” (it reports back to Microsoft). Anyway, I installed several software packages after I ran Windows Updates. Then I went to open up n-track… it hung like it did in my build with another HDD last week. So I started backing out of System Restores. Turns out it was Software Distribution Services 2.0 that was the culprit! Imagine that! I’ll start a separate thread on that…

Paul