Installing v4

v3.0.5 Not installing on XP

Just built a new computer and installed XP on it. I use to use Windows ME and run n-track v3.0.5 and I loved it. Me and my friends at school would record all types of songs for talent shows and personal entertainment. With this new machine it won’t let me install that version, comes up with an error. This sucks because I have a ton of songs created that I can’t do anything with. So I downloaded the trial v4 and started working with it a little. Everything seems fine, but while trying to edit some MIDI files, it won’t let me crop the file (click on the end and pull it to cut out parts). The previous version would let me do this. Is this just because it is a trial version or is this a new change in v4. I want to make sure I can do everything I want before I purchase. If anyone knows how to install the previous version or if this problem is just on the trial version please let me know. Thanks

Hey, Cmwd…
It would be nice to find out why 3.0.5 won’t install under XP–Not sure if I can help with it, but what error(s) are you seeing?

<!–QuoteBegin>

Everything seems fine, but while trying to edit some MIDI files, it won’t let me crop the file (click on the end and pull it to cut out parts). The previous version would let me do this.

Do you mean the way it works with audio clips in the timeline? I tried 2.3 and 3.3, and they don’t let you do that, but I haven’t tried 3.0.5. Anyway, to crop the end of a MIDI track in ver 4, you can highlight the part you want to cut and press Ctrl-X to cut. This is the way it works in 2.3 and 3.3, too…

HTH

Tony

My error comes up…

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32|AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose ‘Close’ to terminate the application.

With cropping, I think I’ve figured it out. With wave files it’s working find, but not with MIDI files. All it was, was that I could click the little square at the end of a selected wave track and pull it back as far as I needed. This works the same. But I’m not sure why I get that error. Thanks for the help.

Search the http://www.microsoft.com knowledge base. That’s a common error when running 16 bit install files, which install file for 3.x n-Tracks is.

Thanks, got the problem fixed.

Good to hear you have it sorted - I was just going to add that I have been using n-Track since (coincidentally enough) v3.0.5, exclusively with Windows XP, and I have had absolutely no problems with installing any version between that and v3.3.