Interesting podcasts on home recording

Can’t remember where I first saw these - it might have even been here. Anyway, I wish something like this had been available when I first started recording. Great resource for folks starting out or trying to get further up the ladder.

http://hro.libsyn.com/index.php?post_category=podcasts

Hi Mark A:

Thanks for that Podcast link…
Of interest to me is Bass Track Recording Techniques… and
Several discussions on Limiting…
All of those Podcasts should be taken in…
I’m gonna see how a dial-up processes them…
We’ll see…

Bill…

I’m not sure you’d learn a great deal on recording Bass from that podcast Bill. I think you’re a lot more experienced.

In general the topics are kept fairly simple and the one of bass recording is really just a test of the different bass sounds that can be obtained by plugging into different input devices (eg DI box, Sansamp, etc).

If you would like, I’ll put all the mp3s onto some cds for you and ping them over the water to you. Just PM me your snail mail address.

Mark

Hi Mark A:

That would be great Mark.
The last big acquisition I got was Drumulator…
That allowed me to replace kick and snare hits with samples… It would be nice to use the same application to replace bass note samples…

Every time I listen at tracks that attract my attention I am immediatlly drawn to how the drummer and bass player interacts with the song’s vocals and phrasing and all…
including the instruments that fill the song’s melody lines…

Leonard…
the guy who’s not with us (me) anymore used to say …
If the Bottom end (the bass and kick) sounds right for the song … it went a long way for him to create the right feel for him to play melbay, fill and backing lines…
and…
to make his tracks sound the way he’d like them to sound…

Most times …
when I created the the tracks I was responsible for, I’d be disappointed with how the track9s0 sounded…
The notes I created was something that I rehearsed.
I never liked that either…
But…
It was the sound quality that I seem to be never satisfied with…

I have to go…
It’s back to work…
More on this later…

Bill…

Quote: (woxnerw @ Jan. 03 2008, 9:45 AM)

Hi Mark A:
That would be great Mark. The last big acquisition I got was Drumulator.. That allowed me to replace kick and snare hits with samples.. It would be nice to use the same application to replace bass note samples..

Every time I listen at tracks that attract my attention I am immediatlly drawn to how the drummer and bass player interacts with the song's vocals and phrasing and all.. including the instruments that fill the song's melody lines..

Leonard.. the guy who's not with us (me) anymore used to say .. If the Bottom end (the bass and kick) sounds right for the song .. it went a long way for him to create the right feel for him to play melbay, fill and backing lines.. and.. to make his tracks sound the way he'd like them to sound..

Most times .. when I created the the tracks I was responsible for, I'd be disappointed with how the track9s0 sounded.. The notes I created was something that I rehearsed. I never liked that either.. But.. It was the sound quality that I seem to be never satisfied with..

I have to go.. It's back to work.. More on this later..

Bill..

If you PM me your address Bill I'll get it sorted.... I know I had it somewhere when we exchanged cds a year or two back but I'm not sure I'd be able to find it.

Leonard's comments are indeed very true. If the bottom end feels right then so does the rest of the song. All of a sudden that "poor man's guitar with only four strings" becomes a vital part of the sound. I've always struggled to get a "good" bass sound onto recordings. I think sometimes it's about stumbling on the right combination of gear. For me, my best results are when I play my
£30 ($60US) Aria Pro bass (ebay special), through the preamp on my
£35 ($70US) Peavey Keyboard amp (found on the local market). That combination seems to provide a nice round bottom end, with sufficient "clank" for clarity. Now perhaps if I had a proper P-bass or Jazz bass things might be different but apparently you can have too many guitars :whistle:

Hi Again Mark A:

This is purely a technical observation on my part…There are other things that contribute to MAGIC Bottom End on Gospel and Country productions…

There was an active Direct Box that the Nashville Bed-Track Studios use on every session, I am led to believe…
It is called the CountryMan…
However, they don’t go into any detail as to what else they use to embellish their bass tracks…
All I know is…
In-My-Mind whatever they stumbled upon…
it is/was right for the the flavors that their projects ended up sound like.
Listening carefully, their Bottom End doesn’t sound identical on all their productions… There appears to be some Lea-way from project-to-project.
But the Recipe is there…
on most of their product.
Somehow, it seems to fit the cause exactly…
Well, in my opinion, that is…

Here’s one…
Live-To-Air

on Dec.26 '96…
The mix is not really close…
TV Work rarely is…
It was the last live TV work Leonard did…
Do I miss it…
Yes…
Could I have played better…
Yes…

Bill…

Quote: (woxnerw @ Jan. 03 2008, 3:51 PM)

Hi Again Mark A:
This is purely a technical observation on my part..There are other things that contribute to MAGIC Bottom End on Gospel and Country productions..

There was an active Direct Box that the Nashville Bed-Track Studios use on every session, I am led to believe.. It is called the CountryMan.. However, they don't go into any detail as to what else they use to embellish their bass tracks.. All I know is.. In-My-Mind whatever they stumbled upon.. it is/was right for the the flavors that their projects ended up sound like. Listening carefully, their Bottom End doesn't sound identical on all their productions.. There appears to be some Lea-way from project-to-project. But the Recipe is there.. on most of their product. Somehow, it seems to fit the cause exactly.. Well, in my opinion, that is..

Here's one... Live-To-Air on Dec.26 '96.. The mix is not really close.. TV Work rarely is.. It was the last live TV work Leonard did.. Do I miss it.. Yes.. Could I have played better.. Yes..

Bill..

Hi Bill, thanks for that link - I should be in a position to have a listen later.

It's interesting that in the book, "Behind the Glass" that I mentioned in another thread, several of the producers/engineers cite the main issue with home studios is the bottom end. I'm not sure if that's due to the inexperience of the users, the lower quality of the gear, or the poorly treated spaces.

Hi Mark A:

Quote…
Hi Bill, thanks for that link - I should be in a position to have a listen later.

It’s interesting that in the book, “Behind the Glass” that I mentioned in another thread, several of the producers/engineers cite the main issue with home studios is the bottom end.
I’m not sure if that’s due to the inexperience of the users, the lower quality of the gear, or the poorly treated spaces.

In my opinion the bottom end quality has more to-do with the Quality of the Gear and…
the Poorly Treated Spaces… more-so than the inexperience of the users.
The users know what they hear…
It’s achieving the End Product that eludes them and what to do to get the end product.
Maybe, you can call that inexperience…
If there was a site you could browse on how to get the “Bottom End”
then that would put one’s inexpirience to rest.
The area of the spectrum below say 250 Hertz requires a huge amount of energy-and-resources and hi-quality audio hardware…
Something in the order of say 80% versus the spectrum above 250 hertz. OR Say the remaining 20%…
I believe it’s because the ears are more sensitized to the Bottom End and…
when the bottom end is O.K.'d by the ears the rest of the spectrum is allowed to be accepted…
Not-to-say that the hearing system allows bad Hi-Frequencies but the Hi-End has more lea-way to fall out-of what is tolerated by the nervous system and what is acceptable-or-not…

In so many words, I’m most fascinated by the bottom end content of music…
But without the melody lines the bottom end has very little if any relevance…

I’m off to get my FIX of Coronation Street…

Bill…

Boy:

That Coronation Street has some great writing going on, currently.
It has the feel of something right out of Cole Harbour, recently…
The concentration of population in the community here is becoming frightening…

Thanks for the offer to mail me a CD of some of those podcasts…
But I’ll not hold you to sending it over to me…
I think I have your address and E-mail address and all, around here somewhere.
I’ll mail you my address so as you have it in your address book… if you’re interested…
We never know what day-to-day stuff comes along that could be of mutual interest…

When I was tracking I’d record Ghost bass tracks on the keyboard to demo the lines on the timeline before I’d record them with a Bass Instrument…
It’s been so long sense I recorded any tracks that I’d be frightened to death to push the record button…
now…
to play some lines…
I haven’t picked up my bass in something like close to two years…

What a bad admission…
to have to say that…

Bill…

Well, I’m afraid Corry does nothing for me Bill but I’m glad you enjoy it!

As for bass playing, my first instrument is guitar but I have played bass in bands many times and really do still enjoy playing bass. I only have a cheap bass but one of these days I’d like to get my hands on a decent instrument. Go on Bill, pick up your bass and have a little go. :slight_smile:

Changing subject slightly, have you ever played fretless bass Bill? I have a loverly Aria Pro fretless bass that I got a while ago. I’m currently using it to record a track on a song I’ve been working on. It sounds wonderful but it requires a little more concentration than my fretted bass.

Hi Mark A:

I have never used a fretless bass on the stage or in the studio…
It’s something that I’d have to practice with for some time before I’d get comfortable with, using…
However, I had a 3/4 sized acoustic Bass way back in the early '70’s…
I used it in the studio doing jingles… I had to Part with it… I think it had a 36" bridge-to-nut string length… Whatever length it was…
it fitted my hand-interval, very well…
My wife didn’t like it stored and taking up space in the closet…
Too bad…
I’d like to have it today.
A properly captured-and-recorded acoustic bass is tough to replace on a well played bass track…

Bill…