Interesting

Over the last few years I’ve been fascinated by the multitrack masters that are floating around the Internet.

Well, today I was listening to Little Wing. Apart from the fact it’s been taken from the Guitar Hero collection and has several key parts (like the introduction, duh!) missing, it’s still a great listen.

Yet, again, as with so many of these, in just a few tracks the magic is formed. And sometimes the tracks don’t sound all that great on their own but they sound like the song. Not awaiting all the studio post-processing and effect adding to make the sparkle.

LW is no exception. One thing that did surprise me is a clear mistake on the bass track followed by a pause of around a bar and then the bass picks up again. If you listen clearly on the original you can hear it if you know it’s there, but I find it interesting thtat it got left in. Nowadays we’d just c&p the bar from elsewhere.

Anyway, thought I’d share.

SoE woke me up to this a couple of years ago with the bo rap stuff - wow.
You got a link, Mark?

It’s surprising how much stuff was allowed and missed in the “tape days”…
Editing was only attempted by the real confident studios…
Otherwise the musicians would have to brought in again…
Just a small edit could escalate into a major failure…
Today you can cut out a note and not even use a pair of scissors…
Well…
AND…

the musicians would even know it…
I was surprised at how bad the Ringo and Paul tracks sounded when this topic came up some time ago…
like, who am I, anyway…

????
I don’t feel so bad, anymore…
:laugh:

The only way to help-and-protect that sort of thing from getting serious is…
to practice and practice and when you get tired of that
Go do it some more…
and then play all the time on Top Quality Stages…

Bill…

Quote: (TonyR @ Jan. 01 2011, 10:44 PM)

SoE woke me up to this a couple of years ago with the bo rap stuff - wow.
You got a link, Mark?

That Bo Rap is just amazing.

Here's where I found LW: http://download405.mediafire.com/znjgvild6ebg/jycrddgo3wc

not quite the same as Bo Rap but still great.
Quote: (woxnerw @ Jan. 01 2011, 11:10 PM)

It's surprising how much stuff was allowed and missed in the "tape days"..
Editing was only attempted by the real confident studios..
Otherwise the musicians would have to brought in again..
Just a small edit could escalate into a major failure..
Today you can cut out a note and not even use a pair of scissors..
Well.....
AND..

the musicians would even know it..

I think you're right there Bill - but it would have been an easy drop-in methinks.

That Abby Road Studio has entered into
“what’s the right adjective” ???

the same as MoTown, in Detroit and Sunn Studios in Memphis…
Who’s gonna tell them they should have done something better to the tracks they did…
????

Bill…

I’ve spent a lot of time in Motown studio and the Sun studio. Those rooms sound like the records that were made in them. I’ve said this before - when I first walked into Sun, and heard that the room sounded like those recordings, it was a religious experience.

LW is brilliant in every possible way. I mean the original, not the GH version, about which I know nothing.

There was no such thing as Modeling Software back then…

Ya did it, edited it, and aweetened it and pressed it…
Then, ya sold it…
made millions and then did it all over again…
:)

When they went on tour, you could see them all for real on a 5.00 ticket…

What a way to get rich…

Bill…

Quote: (woxnerw @ Jan. 01 2011, 4:48 AM)

"what's the right adjective" ???

the same as MoTown, in Detroit and Sunn Studios in Memphis..
Who's gonna tell them they should have done something better to the tracks they did..
????

Bill..

lol, you guys made me remember John Lennon's little stunt in "Hey Jude". At one point, just before they go into the "na na hey jude" part, he says (quite clearly, if you listen for it) "Oh, f***ing hell!" and it got left on the track for the mixdown, because the producer wasn't there when it happened, and didn't know about it until after the mixdown was done, and they couldn't get it out. Everyone else knew about it, and the Beatles snuck that into what was possibly the biggest hit they ever had.

(the bleeper was approximately 2:54 into the song, for those who never heard it)

Wow, Danny, I never knew that!

Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Jan. 02 2011, 6:31 AM)

Quote: (woxnerw @ Jan. 01 2011, 4:48 AM)

"what's the right adjective" ???

the same as MoTown, in Detroit and Sunn Studios in Memphis..
Who's gonna tell them they should have done something better to the tracks they did..
????

Bill..

lol, you guys made me remember John Lennon's little stunt in "Hey Jude". At one point, just before they go into the "na na hey jude" part, he says (quite clearly, if you listen for it) "Oh, f***ing hell!" and it got left on the track for the mixdown, because the producer wasn't there when it happened, and didn't know about it until after the mixdown was done, and they couldn't get it out. Everyone else knew about it, and the Beatles snuck that into what was possibly the biggest hit they ever had.

(the bleeper was approximately 2:54 into the song, for those who never heard it)

Yeah, I can't hear that song now without hearing that part. Used to make me laugh when they played it on prime-time national radio. :agree:

There's whole websites of the mistakes and oddities in the Beatles records. I find it all quite fascinating.
Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 02 2011, 4:32 AM)

LW is brilliant in every possible way.
I mean the original, not the GH version, about which I know nothing.

I've got to agree with that Tom.

The GH version is the Hendrix version but it's been "packaged" for GH. So whilst you get guitar, bass, drums and vocal tracks the tracks are all stereo (instant panning!), and have reverb applied etc (unless it was printed at tape when recorded). Still worth a listen.

I'm guessing it was originally done on 4-track anyway.
Quote: (woxnerw @ Jan. 01 2011, 4:10 AM)

I was surprised at how bad the Ringo and Paul tracks sounded when this topic came up some time ago..
like, who am I, anyway..

????
I don't feel so bad, anymore..

A couple years ago I attended this Tascam promotional workshop-thingamajig at a music shop. One of the Tascam folks was a sales rep and the other more of the techie guy. Anyhow, they were playing back
Sgt. Peppers recordings on a DAW and they were able to isolate the tracks. I was astonished at how many things were off on such an infamous album, such as Lennon's "ahhh's" on A Day In The Life.

I'll have to check out that Hey Jude bit, Danny, hadn't heard about that either.

Hey Jude…ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Just heard it!!!

Quote: (spreadercraig @ Jan. 02 2011, 12:39 PM)

Hey Jude....ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!! Just heard it!!!!

You'll never be able to un-hear it now.

I tend to listen to music very analytically - especially since I started recording - so it's kind of a hobby of mine to hear them. My family think I'm sad. They may be right.

There's a piano mistake on Let it Be that I can't un-hear.

And a clanger on the bass in Born to be Wild.

Just to name a few

The stereo mix on The Beatles “Girl”!?

Quote: (TonyR @ Jan. 02 2011, 12:54 PM)

The stereo mix on The Beatles "Girl"!?

OK, now I have to admit how geeky I am.
I love listening to those weird stereo mixes one channel at a time.
Love the "frere jacques" bit on Paperback Writer.
There's a few dodgy bits too.
Love it.
Quote: (Mark A @ Jan. 01 2011, 6:09 PM)

Love it.

The Tams - Concrete and Clay?

I love all that early experimentals.
Quote: (TonyR @ Jan. 02 2011, 1:12 PM)

Quote: (Mark A @ Jan. 01 2011, 6:09 PM)

Love it.

The Tams - Concrete and Clay?

I love all that early experimentals.

Don't know that one Tony - I'll have to go and find it now....

There's a little "mistake" in the drums in Van Halen's Jamie's Cryin'. But you've got to listen very carefully. Anyone wanna find it?