Internet and Server

Connection issues

It couldn’t happen at a worse time…

I connect to my server through the phone line… The phone works perfectly… However, the Internet connection to my computer network in intermittent… I am uploading huge files to my Dropbox storage space… then all of a sudden, no Internet connection…

What’s a Bluenoser, To-Do… sigh…

Bill…

Noisy phone lines. I had a bad ground that caused a slight buzz in the voice, but it worked fine. Internet was ZILCH until the phone guy found the problem in an underground connector somewhere way down the road. That was when I had a dedicated phone line for the connection a few years ago. The phone company pings or whatever they do didn’t show any problems. I had to INSIST someone come here to experience the problem, at my expence. When they found and fixed the trouble there was no change.

Hi phoo:

I’m bracing for what might happen today, with this issue…
The IT/Tech Man is gonna call and then begin to look at this setup…
I think they work over here at some 70.00 an hour…
No wonder these guys can go south twice-a-year…
hehe

At the moment, I have a steady DSL light on the modem…
However, at a whim, it begins to blink-and-flash and then drops out altogether…
NO INTERNET…
BoY…
It’s frustrating, when that happens…

How can I chin-wagg up here with No DSL Light ???? on my modem…
:p
:laugh:

Bill…

Hi phoo and All:

The Server IT Man arrived this morning…
After metering the internal lines at the house terminal block, he concluded that the issue with my setup was out at the street between the Distribution block at the end of the street and the pole in front of my house…
A “Ticket” has been raised for the repair/delivery at street level guys to repair/replace the street wiring that supplies the terminal block in my house…
While he was here he replaced the modem I have with the latest model modem they are using for the type of DSL system I have…

I’m holding my breath and waiting for the repair of my Internet Delivery System to be completed…
He was saying that even the “Spare Delivery Lines” out in the street don’t meet his approval to fix the issues I have…
SO…
We can only see what might be necessary for this repair to take hold…

Bill…

Back Again:

Now that I have a re-worked/re-built Internet Terminal installed by the IT Man this morning, I no longer have my mail set…
NO-Go on the mail IN Box…
and I’m unable to send, as well…
If It ain’t one thing, it’s a handful of things that don’t work, anymore…

I’ll have to phone the call center to see if they can help me re-set my mail over the phone…
Sigh… Big Time…
:disagree:
:)

Bill…

Back Again:

Well, I got my mail up-and-running…
Took all day and half the night…
However, I got the config. re-set for two incoming and two outgoing mail servers…
All is fine…
The wox is happy and he can now turn in…
For the night…
:agree:

I hope I don’t have to re-do all this when they complete the job of setting me up with a new piece of phone wire from the Main distribution Block to my junction box in the house…
Whenever that gets done…

Bill…

Back Here Again:

The Studio Machines need to be fixed now so they are able to send-and-receive mail…
I need to fire up the electric heaters to be able to go out there sometime this morning…
I have some audio sync’ing of some files I’m editing…
So, it wouldn’t be a total loss of the heat I need, out there…

Earlier in the week the mid west got hit with some bad weather, so I have seen…
We are in the middle of it now, however, we are getting it as lots of rain…
No Snow, yet, here on the coast…

I don’t think I said it…
I hate snow…

Bill…

I’d like it to stop
But I’d even be satisfied if it just slowed down…
The IT guy was Alright, BUT My mail is screwed up…

Geeeeze…
I hate sending mail to myself…
???
on two servers and two machines…

Will it ever be right, again ????

Bill…

Round here Verizon runs a scam on the locals selling high speed “DSL”…been doing it for years…they promised or average “speed”
you get is far below what they offer for the packages.

You will get all kinds of excuses about the phone lines in your house (I have new high end lines straight to their box from the modem) but the truth is the lines in the neighborhood including the ones going from the pole to your house are sub-par…after talking to some guy in India for a few hours you’ll figure that out…

After three years of complaining apparently the company is finally getting around to routing fiber-optics to our neighborhood (the big orange wheel is up the street going down into the sewer line) so may be I will finally get the promised speed… :agree:

(I don’t even get the lower end number of what they swear they give you for the package)
My neighbor who is paying twice what I pay to Verizon is getting the SAME exact speed as me, although he was promised even more than that.
:disagree:

Also, you have to disconnect every year for a day or two…because if you renew the contract your rates go up to twice the introductory (that is why my neighbor pays twice as much as me, but he was promised more speed) If you end the contract and let them shut if off you can sign up as a new customer and get the 14.95mo. rate for another year…ridiculous.
I love it, just another way companies reward long lasting customers in good standing…and gives all the breaks to newbs. :(

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Hi jeremysdemo:

Nice reply…
You see, I’ve had a dial-up for so long that up-grading to a Hi-speed modem and what is known as DSL connection is the difference of night-and-day…
This line that I have has been known to give me download speeds as high as 600 - 750 megs. per second…
My upload speed is somewhat lower than that…
I’ve seen it in the neighbourhood of 75 - 80 megs per second to somewhere at 250 - 300 megs per second…

However, when that DSL led goes out or blinks I know I’m in for loosing all connection to the server…

While I was typing this reply I noticed the DSL led blinking and it went out, just a minute ago…
So, my line is still in trouble…

Somehow, I believe that I may not get this issue FIXED until they decide to replace the copper with a fibre optics line…

I have a question …
Where you live, might you have a guesstimate of the difference in price between an optic line and a copper line
????

Bill…

glad to hear you are on the DSL it really opens up a lot of possibilites and frees up a lot of time…no more loooooooooading… :)

The lines are probably the same in cost (copper is worth quite a bit around here).
It the labor and time involved in running it through the cities that is expensive.

keep shinin

Hi jeremysdemo:

I just hope that the powers don’t forget the raised Ticket on this wire issue on the street…
I’m sure that there are more neighbourhoods with the same problems…

You see, we are all paying premium hard-earned money for this Cyber connection…

When I looked at the sticker on this new modem he installed on my setup, It says…
Made in China…
I’m figuring if it said it was made here, we could maybe, help pay off the debut…
You know…
????

Bill…

It’s the foreign policy that is causing the problem…but it goes practically ignored while all the other news related to the symptoms gets sensationalized…but this is the American medical system treat the symptoms not the disease. :disagree:

keep shinin

I don’t think there’s one piece of hardware on my computers that is made here in the so-called, Western World…

The Invention-and-Design may be Western…
BUT
the Hardware and Construction ????
This practice is not new by any means…
As long as it continues like this, we are all gonna hurt…

We Canucks up here has lots of natural resources but we are giving what we have away, for little-or-nothing…

Bill…

[edit] I just got a call from the server’s office… They want to know if I have the issue that I reported, resolved… I said no… However, it’s out of my hands… BUT I want it FIXED… Any I wanted to know what the Raised Ticket Number for this issue is, so I can refer back to the continued repair… She hung-up on me… SO… does that leave me out in the cold ????

Quote:

SO.. does that leave me out in the cold ?

...you're in Canada... :)

What a pain.

HEre in the States we have ways of dealing with companies like that Bill… ???

keep shinin

Way back when I was a kid
(last year sometime) I think…
the phone company was a government owned company…
However, they went and sold our company from beneath us and it ended up in private hands…
Now, I’m not pro government or private enterprise…
All I know is my phone account went from some 10.00 a month to some 80.00 a month…
AND they went and took the “Crank” on the side of the phone, from me…
Now all I get is Internet Drop-outs on my line…

OoHh…
The company name was
The Maritime Tel and Tel… It worked like a charm… Everyone had work…
Now if yea got an issue you call and someone in another country answers your call…
I can tell by the way he talks…
He/she ain’t a Bluenoser…
???

Now It’s called BellAliant…

What’s Bluenoser…
to do…
?

I’m goin back to bed…
I think I got up on the wrong side of it… What a way to go…

Bill…

Hey Bill,

I just wanted to tell you and anyone else watching to keep an eye out for [Vista Security 2011] if you are on Vista machines online, it is not part of Windows but it is very malicious and aggressive.

AVG doesn’t even find it (apparently it is not in it’s database of threats), and all the tutorials on the web were of no help, (they tell you what the name of the files should be and where they are but the programmers are one step ahead of that creating new .exe file names and new .dll’s that aren’t listed in online help tips yet. (got to love all programmers are doing to enrich peoples lives)… :disagree:
such selfless dedication to human aid without compensation is rarely found… :p

Anyway the way I got rid of it was I ran the demo version of SpyHunter, it found all the files then I manually deleted all the files associated with it, it shows up as am.exe in the running programs window of Windows, so you have to stop it there before deleting the files.

keep shinin

Hi jeremysdemo:

Thanks for the Head’s Up…
I am so weary of anything entering these machines…
I had Panda, I had AVG, and other Security Applications…
At the moment I have and use Norton…
I think everyone has their favorite…
I use whatever doesn’t appear to cause me any trouble till IT Happens…
My fingers-and-toes are crossed and I Knock-on-Wood and whatever else I need to do, to be one step ahead of this stuff, everyday…
I believe, I’ve been lucky for quite a while now…
I( hope by saying that I haven’t blown my cover…

Bill…