internet jamming software

anybody ever use this?

ninjam

anybody here have experience with this? any bettter alternatives?

hmmm… 39 looks, no responses… this must be a
not-so-popular thing.

Never heard of it before you pointed me to it.
But the concept behind it (having everyone play at a whole number of measures worth of latency) definately sounds interesting! :)

I recall something were over the internet different artist work on the same project. Each able to add bits and pieces to make a song. That was years ago, so sorry I do not remember the name of the software.

You can do it with Fruity Loops. It’s called ‘Collab.’

About a year or so ago, I had heard discussions about real-time recording/jamming on the internet, but I believe that having adequate bandwidth to avoid latency problems was the limitation.

I believe phoo has done some internet collaborations.

I have not tried the application but I do understand the concepts. I would not view this tool as a way to collaborate on a “song” rather as a way to make an interesting musical event whose character is partially determined by the inherent limitations of high-latency interactions. The idea is interesting, rather than try to eliminate the delay, they increase it to a musically meaningful amount and forget about rapid interaction. Every player is reacting to what another player did one or more measures later. For something like techno, this would not be a big problem but it constrains the resulting music in a variety of ways. Unless the players have a score and are counting measures, it is impossible to make a chord change without a period of dissonance before the other playes are able to hear that this has occured. The way that reactions propigate is very different than normal jamming so there will be very different strategies required depending on the desired effects. It is really better suited to “new music” than popular music. The process imposes significant restrictions on the types of harmonies and may result in serious dissonance (which is not necessarily a bad thing) or require an organization of harmonies where changes are small (chords gradually morph one note at a time). You could play something like a 12-bar blues by setting up a 12-bar delay and do a normal chord progression, but any reaction to another player would not be heard until the next verse. If you were playing a 12-bar blues with a 1 bar delay, you would have to anticipate the changes and play the next chord while the previous one was still playing in order for the other players to hear the change in the correct place.

From a rythmic point of view things are less constrained, a “drum circle” could be implemented that would not sound all that different than attending one in person. For some types of music (techno, trance, etc.) this could be a fun thing but it is not a collaboration tool for traditional song-based music. It will impose its own characteristics on the resulting piece which limits it to an experimental form.

Jim