Invisible MIDI notes!

In Piano Roll, ‘old’ notes stillsound.

I’ve been using MIDI with V6 since it was introduced, and V5 before that. I’ve encountered all kinds of timing issues and suffered serious frustration on and off, but today a new issue has appeared.

When I manually drag drum notes about a tiny bit (detailed placing of individual notes) the visual piano roll is fine, but I’m hearing sounds from ‘invisible’ notes from the multiple old note locations. The result is lots of mini drum rolls that I can’t delete. As far as I can hear, this only seems to be happening with notes I’'ve minutely adjusted, not with those I’ve dragged a good distance.

I don’t expect it’s relevant, but…
This has happened with a song which I drafted when I had one M-audio 4296 soundcard and was using SMPTE synching. I’ve since added a second identical soundcard that means I can bypass old timing issues by using all analogue inputs instead of the SMPTE.

Any ideas, good people?

Hi, GB. I’ve suffered all the above and found a few work-arounds. Try to clean up problem notes, export the midi track/s, delete the old ones, re-import midi into project.
For graphic glitches - clean re-install n-T.

n-T7 midi is pretty much solid - go for it.

Thanks for the response, TonyR. I tried to ‘export’ the midi file but couldn’t find that as a menu option anywhere in V6 - is it in V7?
I couldn’t clean up the track because there was nothing in the events list that reflected the spurious notes that were sounding, and as far as the visuals were concerned, there was nothing wrong to fix.
However, I’ve managed to fix it as follows:
1) I cloned the track so that I’d have a spare copy (and also to see if the invisible notes sounded from the clone - which they did)
2) I followed the menu option to convert Midi to wav, AFTER muting the clone as the screen told me to do if I didn’t want that one converted. During that process the file played back and it sounded fine. However, I got confused by the instuctions and aborted it halway through. However, it’s somehow cleaned out all the unwanted notes and the file plays properly.

Life just shouldn’t be this hard!

Thanks for the response, TonyR.

I don’t see an option to ‘export’ a midi file - is that new in v7?

I found a work-around. I commenced the ‘convert midi to wav’ option (after cloning the track and muting the clone to prevent conversion). The conversion process played the track in real time and it was cleaned of the spurious notes. I got confused by the instructions and aborted the process, but the original midi file now plays properly.

On with the show … (but life shouldn’t be this hard!

Glad you’re getting sorted.
File > Export Midi. Been there since late v5 that I’m aware of.

Hi,

I have similar problem (I think it is similar) on ALL versions of NTRACK, on different computers/OS and with different cards.
I also posted the problem report some time ago
http://ntrack.com/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=149

I was really surprized that only me and my friends have problem.
N-track versions a legally bought, not cracked or something. So it is obvious that it is N-track problem.

I love ntrack for recording and working with audio files, but I really hate it when it comes to midi. For many years I hope they will correct midi bugs. So far I use cubase for midi. But still have ntrack, because I payed for it, twice :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15285091/nT%20midi%20exp.png

Quote: (Gusto Belly @ Feb. 22 2013, 7:01 AM)

Thanks for the response, TonyR. I tried to 'export' the midi file but couldn't find that as a menu option anywhere in V6 - is it in V7?
I couldn't clean up the track because there was nothing in the events list that reflected the spurious notes that were sounding, and as far as the visuals were concerned, there was nothing wrong to fix.
However, I've managed to fix it as follows:
1) I cloned the track so that I'd have a spare copy (and also to see if the invisible notes sounded from the clone - which they did)
2) I followed the menu option to convert Midi to wav, AFTER muting the clone as the screen told me to do if I didn't want that one converted. During that process the file played back and it sounded fine. However, I got confused by the instuctions and aborted it halway through. However, it's somehow cleaned out all the unwanted notes and the file plays properly.

Life just shouldn't be this hard!

Gusto,

if you still have a backup copy of a .sng file that shows the problem with invisible MIDI notes please email it to support@ntrack.com so that we can try to reprodue and fix the problem.

Thanks,
Flavio.