Ipad n-track, stereo/mono trouble

recording settings on Ipad

Hi, was wondering if anyone has had this problem, when I have the recording settings set to stereo it only records on the left side.
but when it set on mono which was also the default setting, you only see one track but when I mix it, it turns into stereo. I’ll post pics too for visual aid.
snagit

not to nit pick,

but technically that lower track is not stereo, it is just a doubled mono signal.

true stereo has something different on each side.

good catch, sounds like a bug. :)

that being said, make sure the recording interface and/or mic you are using is capable of sending a stereo signal.

if not, all you will get is one side, while the other side will record in stereo mode it will only record dead air.

for example the IK Multimedia iRig PRE mic only records one mono track in all the demos I have watched. :disagree:

Thanks for the input, I’m pretty new to recording music. All I’m using is the ipad mic, so it’s either a bug then or it isn’t capable of recording in stereo then?

The iPad mic is indeed mono. You should accordingly set the recording mode to ‘mono’. Alternatively you can connect to the iPad an external USB audio interface connected to the iPad using the Camera Connection Kit. n-Track can record from as many independent channels as the audio interface allows. Most USB audio devices allow to record in stereo via the line input but in mono via the mic input. Many semi-pro audio devices have two or more mic inputs.

Flavio.

Thank you Flavio. is there any way through the ipad app I can copy the recording on the left and paste to it to the right so i comes out of both speakers?

I don’t believe you can currently do that with n-Track for iPad, unless you can find an inter-app audio app that can turn the stereo track into mono.
You can however easily do that with the desktop version, for example importing the audio file and selecting the “Track” -> “Split stereo track” menu command, which will create two mono files from the single stereo track. Each mono file can be panned as you want. Or you can set the stereo to use the “Independent left-right” pan mode right clicking on the track’s pan slider.
You can pass files between the iPad and desktop version using Dropbox (support for Dropbox is new to version 3.2 which has just been released on the App Store) or using iTunes file sharing.

We plan to add the mono/stereo split features to one of the next versions of the iOS apps so you’ll be able use them directly on the iPad instead of having to pass the files through the desktop version.

Flavio.

Quote: (Wretched Degenerate @ Dec. 22 2013, 7:00 PM)

Thank you Flavio. is there any way through the ipad app I can copy the recording on the left and paste to it to the right so i comes out of both speakers?

if you record in mono as Flav suggested you should hear whatever you record come out of both speakers. :D