Is anything being done to shut down spam

Has anybody seen any evidence that Flavio is working on shutting down the spam bots that are trashing the collaboration and “anything else” forums? It is just getting worse and worse.

T

(tspringer @ Jun. 28 2007,08:56)
Has anybody seen any evidence that Flavio is working on shutting down the spam bots that are trashing the collaboration and "anything else" forums? It is just getting worse and worse.

T

I would hope that task is at the VERY BOTTOM of his priority list.

I don’t quite agree. This community is very valuable to n-track’s success.

I was hoping that he would implement the suggestion I made over in the “Everything else” forum to limit posts to only registered users - 'cos when you look at it there isn’t a problem in this part of the forum for that very reason.

Quite honestly the “everything else” part of the forum is unusable as far as I am concerned.

I too wish that it was not a thing that would absorb Flavio’s time. But there are some reasons that it is probably not a good idea to ignore the problem.

(1) The hardware and software that support the forum have a finite capacity. If the bots go unchecked, the garbage that is being stored could become so voluminous that the whole forum could crash.

(2) The collaboration forum is important to many. I have hugely enjoyed and been inspired by hearing what other N-trackers have been able to do. Potential users can hear just how good N-track recordings can be. This sells N-track, and Flavio needs the income that new users will provide.

(3) It looks unprofessional, and could turn away new users.

(4) If the anything else forum and collaboration forums become unusable, the main forum will tend to be more cluttered with less relevant topics.

T

EDIT: One of the main reasons that I bought N-track instead of something else was the quality of the forum.

The ‘anything else’ forum should just be completely shut down as far as I am concerned. If i want read about politics and news events I’ll go to CNN.com

<!–QuoteBegin>

The ‘anything else’ forum should just be completely shut down as far as I am concerned.

Let’s all hope then that Flavio obeys your wishes, that way you’ll be happy.

Or alternatively, you could just not read any of the posts in Anything Else, that way they won’t disturb you so much. :)

There use to be all sorts of informative, entertaining and just plain thought provoking stuff happening in “Anything Else”. Don’t kill the patient because of a disease, kill the disease. Nuke the spam-bots!

D

PS Please no flames from the flowered shirt, peace sign totin’ bot lovers… :D

It looks like the Anything else and Users Music forums were set to not require users to be registered in order to post. I’ve just changed that to require users to register to be able to post. This should make spammers life more difficult. The level of spam on the main forum (which already required users to be registered to be able to post) has been very low lately since I’ve installed the new version of the forum software, which requires users to do the ‘humans can recognize characters better than computers’ test when registering.

Thanks Flavio, that ought to take care of most of the junk.

T

Thanks Flavio:
This may be a nice alternative to have to log into the Anything Else department of the Board. Lets hope that Most if not All of the Board Members were able to find a way to Log-On to the re-built Board…

A lot of time, it’s not always Multi-Track Q’s-and-A’s that drives the Creative Spirit… Many times, it’s what Off-Topic discussions create that drives the want to make Music… Well…

Bill…

[EDIT]
I’m not a very good “Google Searcher”… but I Google’d one of those spamm’ers… I think it was the AAS@yahoo.com one… The name appears on the yahoo ID List… I was almost going to write the Yahoo Support regarding that ID/Address… I was almost ready to report the use of that ID and provide links to where the ID was Spamming… I don’t know what the result of the report would have done… but I was prepared to take it to task…

Bill…

Sorry…
I am unable to edit that post… I didn’t want that to happen… But on second thought… ?????

If that address is accurate????

Bill…