Is it possible?

effects question

Ok, this is my problem. I have a bass track that needs an EQ effect (n track parametric) on all but the first 10 or so seconds. The first part was played using one bass and the rest of the track using another bass that is too boomy. It does’t seem to work very well placing it on an aux channel and writing the effect send volume…it needs to be direct on the track to get the full bang from the effect. Is there a way to make that happen or will I have to create a separate track with just the first bass part and blend the two tracks?

Honestly, the easiest way to do it (in my opinion) is to just clone the track and delete the latter part in one and the first part in the other. then EQ seperately. There should be a way to send the information to a group (aux), but after it goes through the built-in parametric EQ. I thought it defaulted to this. Does anyone know how the signal path works and how to change the settings? I guess you should be able to do send/return automation, but, as you say, it wouldn’t work very well. What I’m saying is that you could create two tracks with different EQs, but with no other effects. They you balance their volumes via the amount of aux-send. Then you apply any other effects (compression, etc.) to the group that you want. This would be about the same as having two tracks with seperate volumes. The group thing would just save you from placing any effects on both tracks and setting up (and altering) the effects on each to match. It would also allow you to turn up/down the bass without having to move two sliders and altering their balance.

-Fish

You could do it with effects envelopes for just that effect on that track. With the ParaEQ though, it would be a serious PITA. I’d just place the two on separate tracks and comp them together later if needed.

D

Quote (Diogenes @ Feb. 08 2007,21:40)
You could do it with effects envelopes for just that effect on that track. With the ParaEQ though, it would be a serious PITA. I’d just place the two on separate tracks and comp them together later if needed.

D

Yeah, that’s what I’d do too. I’d probably then shove both tracks into a group so I only have one “bass” fader to deal with.

But, what about effects automation. Should be able to do it with that?

<!–QuoteBegin>

But, what about effects automation. Should be able to do it with that?

Yeah you can… but the only automation available for the ParaEQ is boost/cut and Q (width) for ALL the bands. If you only needed to tweak a band or two, sure it’d be easy enough but what if you had to draw envelopes for a half dozen bands to get what you wanted? PITA! A nice, simple controllable BYPASS would be sweet. Set the envelope to -inf for bypass and 0db for ON.

D

[QUOTE]A nice, simple controllable BYPASS would be sweet. Set the envelope to -inf for bypass and 0db for ON.

Yep…that’s what I was trying for! It seems like as much power is loaded in n-track it should be possible to copy and paste a “silence effects” section to a track sort of like with aux send volume drawing.

Oh, another question…after I select the “draw volume evolution” cursor, how in the world do I get back to a “normal” cursor? Couldn’t figure that one out either.

"Oh, another question…after I select the “draw volume evolution” cursor, how in the world do I get back to a “normal” cursor? Couldn’t figure that one out either."

Hi; in version 5, there is a button that looks like a little ramp, or a right-triangle with its hypotenuse on the bottom. Clicking once opens the volume evolution cursor, click it again to return to the regular cursor.

HTH!
'til next time;
Tony W

Well I found a solution…although not as easy as cut & paste or drawing envelopes.

Soloed the bass track and opened the para eq. and clicked bypass, then did a mixdown of song while playing and turned off the bypass when the boomy bass came in. Imported the track and it’s my new bass track.

It worked, but it still seems there should be a better way.