Is one state better than another, or one country..

or one people for that matter…

This has been bothering me for some time. We have parades that celebrate a particular group of people (Irish or women or gays or whomever). We accept one country or state as being better than another (USA vs Iran vs Russia vs Minnesota vs Wisconsin…etc.).

Is this really a good idea? Does this further the prospects of peace and harmony in the world? I don’t think so.

Anytime one group of people or nation sets itself apart from the rest of humanity, it puts itself out there as special in some way. It allows the insecure to ridicule it and find a reason to hate it. And there are plenty of insecure humans.

Why can’t people accept the differences in humans as slight and the similarities as major. Why is it that we must have an Irish parade when we could have a parade that celebrates all nationalities. Why is it so hard to find reasons to bring people together rather than split them apart. Are we all that insecure?

It seems easy to say the USA is better than Iran or Russia, but aren’t those just names for land areas with people on them? And are the people in the USA really “better” than the people in Iran, or are they just luckier to have been born here?

If this seems like a rant, I am sorry. It was brought on by the Wisconsin vs Minnesota post. I have heard for years people of one state say they are truely superior to those of another. Hogwash.

Maybe if we didn’t divide ourselves into groups of opposing people, we could do some real good. It may seem trite, but it is true, "United we stand, divided we fall.“

As Firesign Theater once said, " We are all just Bozos on the bus”.

Sorry for the rant,

Mike

Yes, we need to become cosmopolitans in our thinking. :)

Sadly, its conditioning Mike. If you took a bunch of 4 year olds from all over the world, dressed 'em all the same and put them in a big room to play, they would probably get along in grand fashion with few if any problems. Then as they grow up, prejudices learned from adults will ruin them.

I hesitate to bring religion into the topic, but here goes… If one claiming to be a Christian, does not love all mankind, he/she has gone against the most important commandment of all. In Gods eyes we are all equal but how many wars have been fought and thousands slain because of the perception that “their” religious view is incorrect? Dang complicated isn’t it?

Don’t apologize for the rant. It’s a GOOD rant. The trouble is, few listen…

TG

Quote (DrGuitar @ Mar. 28 2005,10:32)
This has been bothering me for some time. We have parades that celebrate a particular group of people (Irish or women or gays or whomever). We accept one country or state as being better than another (USA vs Iran vs Russia vs Minnesota vs Wisconsin...etc.).

Is this really a good idea? Does this further the prospects of peace and harmony in the world? I don't think so.

Anytime one group of people or nation sets itself apart from the rest of humanity, it puts itself out there as special in some way. It allows the insecure to ridicule it and find a reason to hate it. And there are plenty of insecure humans.

Why can't people accept the differences in humans as slight and the similarities as major. Why is it that we must have an Irish parade when we could have a parade that celebrates all nationalities. Why is it so hard to find reasons to bring people together rather than split them apart. Are we all that insecure?

It seems easy to say the USA is better than Iran or Russia, but aren't those just names for land areas with people on them? And are the people in the USA really "better" than the people in Iran, or are they just luckier to have been born here?

If this seems like a rant, I am sorry. It was brought on by the Wisconsin vs Minnesota post. I have heard for years people of one state say they are truely superior to those of another. Hogwash.

Maybe if we didn't divide ourselves into groups of opposing people, we could do some real good. It may seem trite, but it is true, "United we stand, divided we fall."

As Firesign Theater once said, " We are all just Bozos on the bus".

Sorry for the rant,

Mike

Man...I guess I touched a nerve a little bit.

Always thought some interstate joking was part of life!

I think I read between the lines Clark. We do the same down here. You know Alabama versus Tennessee and such. Its good fun until somebody starts taking it too seriously.

Genuine prejudice is an ugly beast though. I think mankind would be SO much better off without it.

TG

It’s always meant in fun, from my point of view.

Let’s not forget, I rip on my home state as much as I do any other.

But you point is taken.

Quote (gtr4him @ Mar. 28 2005,11:15)
I hesitate to bring religion into the topic, but here goes.... If one claiming to be a Christian, does not love all mankind, he/she has gone against the most important commandment of all. In Gods eyes we are all equal but how many wars have been fought and thousands slain because of the perception that "their" religious view is incorrect? Dang complicated isn't it?

Don't apologize for the rant. It's a GOOD rant. The trouble is, few listen......

TG

I agree completely with your assessment of Christianity. Then why is it that so many "so called" Christians feel it is ok to bash anyone/everyone who does not believe as they do? Why is it that we are all equal only as long as we believe as the Christian making the remark? For example, why is it that someone is a murderer because he/she does not believe as you or I do as to the beginning or ending of life? Is this not the perview of God and not us mere mortals? Do we as a human society have the right to impose our own religious based morals on all people whether they believe likewise or not? Do we even have the right to say "we are right and they are wrong"?

As for is being "dang complicated", I really don't believe it is. I believe this need for humans to put down those that are not like themselves is a power play. It fulfulls a human need to feel secure with those that are "like themselves".

I don't want this to fall into a political debate on who is better, but the Republican party and those that support it (Fox ... etc.) have taken this concept to an extreme. They are doing way more damage than good even if their "intentions" are good. They are dividing all people into smaller and smaller groups of angry people. They insult us all by insulting even one of us. It is a way to control us all. It is sad and it is anti-christian.

I am sick of it.

:angry:

Mike

PS.

This angry rant is not directed at any person or people here. It is a general view I have held for some time on the state of people in the world. We must learn to stop pointing fingers and start holding out our hands in friendship and acceptance.

Everyone who’s been to Maine knows it’s the best state in the union :laugh:

The symptoms are not complicated. I agree with you on that. I was more referring to a cure or a “Gee what do we do to fix it?” kind of thing. :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

We must learn to stop pointing fingers and start holding out our hands in friendship and acceptance.

Right on!

TG :)
Quote (Mr Soul @ Mar. 28 2005,12:49)
Everyone who's been to Maine knows it's the best state in the union :laugh:

BALONEY!! Maine is WAAAYYY too far north. It gets COLD up there! Alabama is where it's AT my friend. Seldom dips below freezing in winter and only a couple months of the year are hotter than the core of the Earth. :D

TG

I guess we evolved to be tribal. It seems that the wiring in our brains and hearts (I mean the emotional bits of us, not the pump) was fixed during the millennia when we lived in small hunter-gatherer groups. Look at all the fighting that went on during pre- and early history, as described in the Old Testament for example. That’s the way we are.

But as to which country is best - I saw this morning in our local Swiss Romand newspaper “Le Matin” that the UK LSE academic Richard Layard has published a book about happiness. His research allowed countries to be plotted on a chart with wealth along the horizontal axis and happiness vertically. The good ol’ US of A is way up the top right, Switzerland is next in wealth but very slightly happier, then comes most of Western Europe and Canada. Happy but poor countries include Mexico, China, Nigeria, Indonesia. Poor and unhappy countries include Russia, Ukraine, Zimbabwe, Moldavia. All this is from his book “Happiness: Lessons from a New Science”. A major reason for Switzerland being so happy is supposed to be the highly devolved democracy here.

So there’s the proof; USA and Switzerland are the best countries in the world. No argument.

Love and peace to all (until you diss my tribe)
TusterBuster ???

BALONEY!! Maine is WAAAYYY too far north. It gets COLD up there! Alabama is where it's AT my friend.
Yeah but the cold keeps the flakey people away. If you're talking strickly climate, then So. CA is the place to be.
:D

Yeah but the cold keeps the flakey people away. If you're talking strickly climate, then So. CA is the place to be.

There you have! So, that the flaky people are in California....

(Sorry...I couldn't resist)

rofl. phoo

the moon seems nice, no wars, no bitching, no mosquitoes, no polution, no I’m better than you crap. It’s all part of governmental conditioning folks. Just learn to say NO to brainwashing.

I would now like to quote Mr. Todd Rundgren

"I must have woke up this morning with a bug up my ass
I think I’ll just haul off and belt the next jerk that I pass
I know I could make this world so peaceful and calm…
If I could only get my hands on a hydrogen bomb."

Heavy Metal Kids

Touche!

However, I recognize all the flakey people in So. CA because I’m from Maine.

LOL

BAH! Oregon is the best! :laugh: We have 50% California and 50% East coast (as far as I can tell no one is actually FROM Oregon. Everyone seems to have come from somplace else). It’s the perfect balance, half fruits, nuts and flakes, and half straight-laced, tie-wearing, business types.

Not only that the climate is perfect…rain with occasional showers, once in a great while the giant shiney sky-orb is seen and everyone runs inside in fear. During the summer it occasionally dries out enough to kill the moss behind your ears. Although, the MLF (Moss Liberation Front) is attempting to pass legislation to prevent this. :laugh:

Very good point though, I think we are hard wired to find a sense of self worth in our affiliations. I’ve always thought it would be a better world if we all thought of ourselves as “human” or even “terran”. Rather than attempting to place ourselves in a sub-group.

.-=/gp=-.

If everyone was the same it would be a pretty boring place…

I think there is a distinction between celebrating your culture or diffrerences (this is what makes me Irish or whatever - this is what makes me who I am) and trying to impose your set of beliefs or way of life onto someone else.
That implies that yours is superior and there is something wrong or inferior with others.

Rich