Isolation Cab Math

Quote: (duffman @ Aug. 28 2009, 7:15 AM)

Bubba,

I piss-off most of the world in my daily life as it is, so that's not a concern. Being able to lay down tracks at 3:00am without waking the wife...NOW THATS A CONCERN!
As for the foam, I used 2" medium density miracle/memory/isotonic foam. You know the stuff they make those fancy matteress, pads, and pillows out of. Works reall well.

Then think about my method. A 2'x4' box about waist height is all you need. Green Glue and drywall are stupidly easy to work with. Also, that foam does nothing for low end resonance... assuming that matters to you. if you just want to kill flutter in the box, then the foam probably does work to a point.
Quote: (duffman @ Aug. 22 2009, 6:08 AM)

Here are some quick drawings with dimens for downloading. Unfortunately one of the ends has to be pieced together to get everything from one sheet. I will put that one behind the speaker as I will need to make cut outs for mounting plate for 1/4" & XLR ins anyway. Baffle size & hole based on Celestion 70/80.

http://home.mchsi.com/~duffman123/IsoCab1.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~duffman123/IsoCab2.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~duffman123/IsoSheetCut.jpg

Hardware, where to put the foam on the inside of the top, rubber feet, ect....I figured you guys would know where to put that stuff...

Duff

Dude!!

DeltaCAD! I use that proggie just about everyday. It's no AutoCAD but it can sure get the job done. A heckuva lot QUICKER too... :laugh:

AutoCAD is too complicated to be of any good use unless you go to school on it for 17 years and then use it every day until you die. As they are lowering you into the ground you'll go "AH-HA! So that's what that doo-hickey does!" Too late...

D

Bubba if you had only mention your idea earlier, but this cab is done and I have been using it for a week.

Dio…yeppers its a great proggie for the $$$.

Hi duffman:

That’s a great looking box…
:)
:O The idea has great possibilities

My mind is picking up speed for this studio…

and…
a box that I can mount/install in the rafters…
Maybe a flat surface’d bottom and then the top to take the profile of the roof pitch…
and maybe, 20 - 22’ wide…
to fit between the joists…

I’m thinking a dual purpose box…
The speaker baffle would support maybe, a couple of 12" and maybe a couple of smaller speakers with plenty of magnet weight/motor size…
Then to be able to select the speaker combination(s)…
and…
maybe a couple of mics to play with the sweet spots…
for whatever application(s)…

I’m thinking
guitar, bass, and keys…
as the primary applications…
???

Bill…

Bill,

The finished outside dimension are 33L x 18 1/2W x 18 1/2H. My guess is it weights around 65-70lbs with speaker. You really want to lift that into your rafters? And then everytime you want to change mics or reposition in the cab you have to drag out a ladder.

My wife has a great idea. She wants to have it upholstered with attached cushions on top. Split the cushion at the hinges. Make it into a roll around bench seat. I think she has a great idea.

“It’s a speaker cab(me)”…“No it’s furniture(her)”.

Duff

I hear you duffman…

As the room comes together I have this idea that I can run out of floor space pretty quick…
If it was in the rafters it would need some time (on the floor) to locate the mics then be placed outta harms way…
However, I like the idea of using it as a piece of sitting furniture…
An access plate for speaker combinations and mic selection(s) would certainly be easy if it were on the floor…
I envision this box …
for my application as being (double) wedged shaped…
and some 6’- to - 8’ long by some 22" - 24" wide… Of course… Mics on one side of the baffle and speaker cavity on the other side…
The box profile would fit in the rafter area of the room and take no floor space… Tossing the idea around doesn’t require any money…
:p
:laugh:

This idea is opening to a bunch of imaginations…
Lets say…
two of these boxes…
Using them as an effect…
in post production…
For example…
send a guitar track (or any track, for that matter) to the boxes and returning the signal back and mixing the original signal with the re-recorded/doubled track… Well, just an idea…
???

I remember way back in the '60’s…
We used to track in a high school gyms…
on the closed curtained stages…
The parts of the mix would be sent to the gym floor as well as to the shower stalls…
the returned signals would be mixed to the appropriate tracks , then recorded on the multi-track recorder…

That was some of the tracking ideas we used when there was no reverb plates to be be had…
It’s easy to see…

All kinds of fantasy imaginations are taking hold…
:laugh:

I had better get back at it… I want to run telephone lines today…
We’ll see…
and then update the photo blog…

Bill…