Issue with installing build 2042

On '98SE Desk

Hi n-Trackers:
Yesterday, I downloaded “Small” build 2042 in preperation of installing build 2042 on the '98SE Desks in the Studio…

This would be an upgrade from build 2037 which works and installed just fine when that build first appeared for download…

So, this morning I prepared for the upgrade, as usual and the process worked normally by uninstalling the “old” build and continued fine, till it reached about 60% of the last install screen… Then Just “Hanged”… and didn’t complete the process to the “Finish” Click-of-the-Mouse… I had to quit the install process and re-boot the machine…

I made the attempt 2-3 times till “Now… I’m In-Between Installs”

I then decided to download the “Big” +30 meg. file with hopes that I might complete the installation of build 2042 and be on my way… But “No-Go”…

Build 2037 gave me and '98SE no install issues, of any kind.

What could I have done to cause this? Or what might I do to fix the installation of build 2042?

Bill…

Hi,

I’m wondering if you have both .NET 1.1 and 2.0 installed? I don’t know if it’s coincidental or not, but in a previous Windows XP build when I did that I have all KINDS of problems. This Windows build I made SURE I only had 2.0 .NET installed and n-track was working, ummm, ok. Tonight I inadvertently installed .NET 1.1 as part of Windows Updates and I’m back to problems… the Timeline hangs (“Not Responding”) or ntrack hangs when I try to delete a track.

Paul

Hi Paul:
Thanks for the reply… I’m gonna look at the list of installed componentson those machines… I know on this one, the one I go on-line, with, I see that both versions are seen on the list. However, I don’t have the hardware that the studio machines have installed.

You see, if I go around town here where I live and I tell the computer geeks that I work with audio files, I get the feeling of them “Backing” away from the questions I raise…

The ones that I know don’t have any more answers for me… The ones I don’t know ask me if I know a character known as, wox…?????

It’s funny, cause I’d like to ask that guy a few questions…

The parts of the setup I have that works … Works so nice… The parts of the setup I have that gives me trouble has just gotta go… before it ends up as a pile of wires and electronic components and junk… I know the stories of makeing things simple… I believe that the setup I have is as basic as my intent can make it…

The interface of the audio inputs and outputs to the hard drives can’t be more simple… I believe that the operating systems … to what is required to control the audio hardware is questionable part of the setup I have… At times, it works flawlessly… When I want to put it to work it gives me Big Time issues… and hurts the limited creativity I have… lottsa headaches…

Are you saying I should have only one version of .Net Framwork in operation? And installed?

Bill…

Hey Bill,

“One .NET version”: That’s my conjecture but that’s all it is. It’s Microsoft, anything’s likely. Did you know when they released one version of it’s operating systems it had 70,000 KNOW bugs much less unknown?

Paul

Hi Paul:
Thanks for the reply… I think I’ll remove the .NET Framwork v 1.1 from those '98SE desks and see if that fixes the installation issue… It seems strange that the “Earlier” builds of 4.1.5 installed with no issues… and only appeared when I tried to install 2042…

I have 2041 installed on the XP Home desk, of my Editing Setup, machine… No issues with that setup… (fingers crossed) HhMmmm… That is this machine… It is an Intel P-111 ASUS 1.2mhz. machine…

Bill…

I had been downloading versions as they came available but stopped with the latest that required 2.0.( weird things were happening) I went back to 4.0.5 which needed 1.1 .Everything was fine ,but the other day I got an error message for .net and could not open ntrk. I tried reloading .net, n trk to no avail.I finally decided that 4.0.4 worked fine and I did not need anymore aggravation .What I did not do was uninstall 2.0. I talked to a IT person who thought it was not a prob but maybe he was wrong? I have spent way to much time fooling with problems associated with downloads, sound card driver compatability, etc. instead of learning how to use n trk better. I just want to record ,and have fun doing it. Maybe I have been part of the problem, but I think there is a lot to be said for keeping it simple.

Hi All,

I’m going to be trying some .Net Framework removal tools. Here is a link:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/04/08/406671.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/04/16/408856.aspx

My plan is to do a Add/Remove Programs first then use the fix suggested in the posts. Then I will re-install the big version of Build 2042 which includes the specific .Net 2.0 version n-track requires (not the one you download from Microsoft).

Paul

I wouldn’t do what I did! :slight_smile: Right now I am completely hosed. What do you guys think of Sonar as a multi-tracking tool? :slight_smile: I’ve spent probably 20+ hours over the last two weeks trying to get a good rig working with n-track and I am past the point of frustration and into laughing mode…
Paul

I finally had some time to play with some of these new builds tonight on my Win 2K box.

Builds 2039-2042 won’t install properly because some of the n-Track plugins fail to register successfully with Windows (all DirectX, I think…dxirewire.dll, Riverbero.dll, Chorus.dll, Echo.dll, ntrck_PitchShift.dll, fa4bdeq.dll, fxcomp10.dl, and AutoVol.dll). I get an error popup for each failed plugin registration attempt with HRESULT -2147024579. If I just hit “Continue” at each error, the installation finishes, but I suppose the DX plugins aren’t registered.

Builds 2036, 2037, and several earlier builds install and run fine.

I don’t have build 2038, but I’m guessing it would also run ok. Why? Because I’m thinking the problem was introduced in build 2039 based on the changelog. The changes for build 2039 say:
<!–QuoteBegin>

Fixed n-Track DX plug-ins not appearing correctly in 3rd party host programs
Surround Panner, Multiband Compressor, Tempo Delay and Graphic EQ effects added to the 64 bit version

All plugin related stuff…and that DirectX plugin change is lookin’ mighty suspicious right about now … :)

BTW, I had .NET 1.1 and 2.0 installed when I first noticed the problem (I need both for development purposes), so I uninstalled .NET 1.1 via Add/Remove Programs and rebooted, but there was no improvement.

Anyway…Paul–time to just bite the bullet and reinstall Windows? You’ve been through a lot man…I feel your pain. :)

And Bill, maybe that freeze happens when DirectX plugins are being (unsuccessfully) registered? Oh well, I guess if the freezing goes away after Flavio makes a fix for the DX plugin registration, we’ll know where the problem was…

Tony

Hey Tony,

Yeah, that’s what I’m going to do… a complete re-build of Windows. This will be the second time in two weeks. I am considering installing something like Clean Slate in addition. Eitht that or I’ll go back temporarily to 4.0.4 the last version that didn’t require .NET.

.NET is at a point where it won’t install… and it won’t uninstall. And the guys who built the tools in my links above WORK for Microsoft and THEY can’t even figure out how to un-install their own software. And that software is the cornerstone of n-track. That’s a bit scary to me.

Paul

Good to know that I’m not the only one having issues with the latest builds. I was cruising along with 4.0.5 until about two weeks ago when n just crashed on a re-open (for the first time). Wouldn’t start after that. The past two weeks have been filled with nothing but frustration in trying to get the new builds to run (same issues with the failed installs) and when those don’t, trying to get back to where I was. Nothing is working correctly still and I’m unfortunately leaving my options open as far as where to turn next. It’s been a great run with n thus far and I’d hate to give up now, but troubleshooting is not how I want to be spending the time that I should be recording/producing. V4.1 needs to go stable soon.
Help us, Flavio…you’re our only hope!???

Hi Tony, and All:
Your poist sounds pretty logical… I’ve heard of guys up here discussing topics of plugs not registering when installing new builds as they get posted… I’ve never run into issues like that in the past… Mabey, I’ve fortunate, in the past… It makes good sense, though …

How do you discover if that is an issue? Just uninstall the plugs? What if they are FA Soft Plugs? I can’t imagine that they are FA Soft Plugs… ??? How do you uninstall them? They come with the “Build”…

On another note…

I have build 2042 installed-and-working on this XP Home Desk… When I looked… last night… the both versions of >NET with updates are installed on this desk build… So… I can’t think that this is an issue I have… Except '98SE and build 2042 is where I stand…

I’m not gonna be too hastey in tossing any of the components I have installed on the '98SE builds… I’ve jumped at conclusions in the past and wound up causing myself lots of grief-and-heartaches… and asking guys up here to get me outta Big Binds…

Thank you Guys… You know who you are… :O :;):

I’m limited to creating 16-bit res. files till I can find a way to get all this behind me… and move on…

If this is any help, I can post a list of the plugs that I have installed on these Desks… Mabey, that’ll help in narrowing down the reason of the install of n-Track “Hanging”… Whatta-think??

Bill…

I know alot a people may utilize the features that the latest builds have .But I am coming to grips with the fact that the older builds do everything that I will ever need. I have been told by a number of people that constant dumping of programs
leaves info that is hard to get rid of ,or for that matter find on your hard drive. 4.0.5 all of a sudden had a disagreement with .net and that was all she wrote.I do not have the comp savy to figure what went wrong.I just want atrouble free program. I am afraid I will get a bug on my harddrive and corrupt something that won’t allow me to run 4.0.4. I was thinking of trying 4.0.5 again but changed my mind. This forum has been a big help to me. Thanks