It's the singer

Me thinks range and technique of a singer are important but I feel that the uniqueness (is that a word?) of any singer’s voice is what makes 'em stand above the rest.

It’s really the uniqueness that most interests me - what sorts of things make a singer unique? One of the most powerful shows I ever saw was a late-1980’s Suburbs show - both of their main singers have so much character, but not exactly what one would identify as typically “good” voices. Nonetheless the artistic impact they made was incredible. Something unique about their voices and delivery…:slight_smile:

Of course it’s cool to like Cheap Trick…they have so much character…and Robin Zander has amazing range. They are sort of underated I think. Sure they have had some low points, but if you look at them from a career perspective they have so much incredible music…some of it very recent.

Sometimes ‘uniqueness’ is a double-edged sword. With the music industry is the way it is these days, as soon as you get one good singer, there are a million copycats…and then every time you turn on the radio you hear a lot of the same vocal style. I think the biggest example of the '80’s would be after Eddie Vedder showed up on the scene…next thing you know, there’s Nickelbacks, Creed and Theory of a Deadman (the Nickelback coverband). It’s funny…they all sound great, but ironically, they are all outselling the original originator of that style. Weird business, the music biz is.

It’s quite funny how the mass audience tends to forget the originals. After I got into Cheap Trick, I could hear their influences in a lot of the bands I listened to growing up.

Oops…sorry…got talking about Cheap Trick and got sorta off track…

…as for what makes singers unique…I think it’s hard to put your finger on it…sometimes it may be just in the phrasing…or like Diamond Dave, they aren’t technically over the top but have a lot of character that is instantly recognizable. Bono sounds great…and there aren’t many others who sound like him…so maybe it’s as simple as the tone of one’s voice.

Joe Cocker is a perfect example, not the prettiest voice nor does he have an awsum range, but to hear him live was very powerful (providing he didn’t fall off the stage drunk) Bob Dylan another voice no one can duplicate, Janis Joplin, Neil Young, etc etc etc. I think it’s also what they put into their show. Not all singers record well, but actually sound better live.