It a machine

Got it - the WEM Fifth Man - a guitar/organ combo:

Here’s what the website says:

Quote:

Every successful and innovative company like Watkins/WEM are entitled to put out the occasional turkey and here it is! Finer than frog’s hair and rarer than hen’s teeth, the Project 4. This is a weird hybrid of a guitar and an organ having fuzz and phase effects built in. It is best described by Charlie Watkins:

"This guitar evolved from the WEM guitar Organ (the Fifth Man)which played an organ generator from the fretboard. It was the biggest commercial disaster I ever invented. It was too big, too expensive and took too long for me to realise that a guy buys a guitar because that’s the sound he wants in his ear. If he wanted organ sound he would probably buy an organ!

The Project 4 fuzz sound comes from the bridge itself and not from the pickups. The drive comes from the funny magnet arrangement by the bridge designed for me by a professor at Sussex University in 1965 which was about the year we started to sell them"

Part of the scary electronics under the scratchplate

THE FIFTH MAN

The technically brilliant but commercially disasterous Fifth Man is shown below.

It was produced for the 1965 Frankfurt Music Exhibition but was too expensive and cumbersome. The electonics were condensed into the Project IV above hence the “Fifth Man” logo on the Project IV scratchplate.

Quote: (TomS @ Oct. 28 2009, 1:14 PM)

What school was that, nra?
That's cool...

it was mary washington college, a small school with an even smaller music department.