JamStix

Any users?

So now that the flurry and excitement of Jamstix has died down I’m wondering if you guys who are using it are happy and how well it works with audio guitar. I noticed they have it on sale now. Is it all that is says? Also, what would you consider the smallest computer it would work on?

KingFish

I love it.
I no longer use the audio to trigger it though. I use the midi automation envelopes (don’t need a midi controller plugged in or anything - you just draw the velocity envelopes like you would for an audio track and Jamstix adjusts it’s velocity accordingly) which makes it real easy to adjust the dynamics between sections of the song etc.

If I want to just jam I just set the velocity to max and play with that.

The audiom8 plug does work so I could use that to I’m just too lazy when I jam and prefer the better control when putting a drum part together for a song
The demo is good for getting an idea of whether you like it and whether it will run on your system.

I think the only restrictions are silence every now and then on playback and no midi export.

If the demo works on your system then the full version won’t take any more processing power.

Rich

Please pardon my stupidity, but, are you saying that you create a blank midi track to control the jamstix? If so, can you explain how to do that. Consider that I would start with an audio guitar rhythm track…then what?

Also you say you’re not using the plugin?? Just how is this working then?

Do you have some songs posted that use jamstix? I’d really like to hear some.

Thanks for taking the time to respond…As you probably can tell…I’m kinda slow when it comes to routing these software gadgets!

KingFish

I’ve tried the demo, and I’m thinking hard about buying it…

Quote (KingFish @ May 13 2005,15:04)
Please pardon my stupidity, but, are you saying that you create a blank midi track to control the jamstix? If so, can you explain how to do that. Consider that I would start with an audio guitar rhythm track…then what?

Also you say you’re not using the plugin?? Just how is this working then?

Do you have some songs posted that use jamstix? I’d really like to hear some.

Thanks for taking the time to respond…As you probably can tell…I’m kinda slow when it comes to routing these software gadgets!

KingFish

Rich is using midi automation to control one of the JS parameters. It’s not required to have any input, midi or audio, but those are options if you want to do them. Or you can automate like Rich is doing. Or both.

JS has a second utility plug called AudioM8 that feeds the audio into JS if that’s what you want to do, again, not required but an option.

The JS site has some songs done by users you can listen to.

If you have the budget JS + DFHS (or BFD) is amazing.

BTW - the sale won’t last forever, I know this firsthand, so get it cheap while you can! And no, I don’t work for them, I’m just a huge fan of what they’re doing.

regards

I’ve played with the demo quite a bit, but haven’t made a purchase yet. Not sure if it’s N-track or Jamstix, but I still have some seemingly-MIDI-related instability problems with it in N-track under Windows 2000 which I haven’t spent any time troubleshooting yet, but now that the price is down to $79, I just might pick it up since it works well for me for the non-MIDI stuff. Plus support for the product is exceptional.

Tony

I’m using it under 3.3, fwiw.

I’m using it under 4.05…I shoulda mentioned that… :D

Tony

Thanks for all the replies.

I downloaded the demo yesterday and played with it till midnight. I initially had trouble figuring out how to work it in N-tracks but eventually got it thumpin’. Seems the audio tracks I have don’t trigger the drums the way I would expect. I have more songs in Cakewalk Home Studio so I wrapped the plugins up and went to that program. I was a lot easier for me to figure out how to get jamstix going in Cake (maybe since I’m used to it).

First of all, let me say, I need a better computer. I could get some decent beats out of the program (ocassionally) but I believe that triggering it from audio is too hap hazzard. I understand Rich using midi to control it now. The midi I brought in created some decent drumming. Both programs crashed on me. N-Tracks more than Cake but Cake’s crashes were more severe (re-boot).

I hate drums! They are a pain for an old guitar player! But I think I’ll stay with my SR-16 a while longer…and maybe if I ever get a new computer…I’ll give it another shot.

Thanks guys.

KingFish

I’ve had similar problems just today while playing with it Kingfish. I’ll stick to Fruity for now. My rythms might be more robotic, but theres no latency or crashing or funny triggerings like Jamstix does for me.

I’m using 4.05 - not the current build but I think the second one after it it was released. I’m away at the moment so can’t check…

Haven’t got any songs uploaded yet with JS but hope to soon… need a bit more polishing and also waiting on vocalist to record vox tracks.

The triggering in jam mode can be a bit out there sometimes (depends on the funkiness and complexity settings too) but in manual mode it is pretty tight. Especially once you lock a bar - it will play that bar back the same way each time.

Usually I first draw the velocity envelope and power play envelope to adjust the intensity of the playing thorughout the song so it plays softer int eh verses or builds at the start, and goes into powerplay in the chorus etc.

Then what I usually do is either do a free jam and work out which rhythms I like and then arrange them and then play through a few times and lock bars I like.

Or do a keyword jam, pick the rhythms I want (or think I want) and then roughly arrange them into verse, chorus etc. then play through a few times and lock bars as I like them or change rhythms if they don’t suit etc.

Lastly I may need to program a few custom rhythms to get the accents on the beats I want and then place them where I want them in the song.

Once all bars are locked it plays through the same every time

Rich

I’ve bought JS when it came out, but unfortunatey it took me a while to get into using it properly due to work constraints…
Now i’ve finally got round to using it a bit more I can tell you its awesome.
Thanks to RichLum I’ve got it running through MIDI automation and its simply brilliant.

here are some mp3’s with JS doing the drums:

This was my first attempt with it, just turned on Free Jam against the audio in (using AudioM8):

Hotel California Cover

This one I used MIDI automation for, again I haven’t changed a thing from the first ‘Jam’ take.

How long…

If you’ve got some time to put into it you can get some astounding results, check out some of the links in the “Demo Song Competion” thread on the rayzoon forums.

Macca

I bought it last week and have just begun to play with it. It’s pretty incredible. Here’s a quick little improv I did using FL Studio:

http://www.ambientarts.com/newsongs/jstest.mp3

I can’t wait to get deep into the thick of things with it.

Bill

Alright…did the do and bought Jamstix…knew it was time when the clock struck $79… :D

Tony

Ralph has put all the songs submitted for the demo competition on the JS download page here.

The thread in the forums ahs more detail on how some of the users created the tracks though.

Rich

I am pretty new to ntrack. I would like to know if anyone could help me set up and actually “use” Jamstix. I’ve heard the audio demo’s and I know how to record audio in ntrack, I just can’t seem to get past the initial learning curve. Actually, when I open ntrack, where do I go to open Jamstix? I haven’t found anything with Jamstix icon or the m8 icon. I am unable to view the screen that is on JS video tutorial. Any help will do. I have awesome music in production and I will be glad to post when I’m close to done. Thanks in advance.

There are few different ways to use JS. Depending on whether you want to use audio or midi to trigger it and also depending on whether you just want to “jam” or do an arrangement for a song.

For a long post on getting JS to work there is this one.
I posted steps on how I got it to work and then there is also subesquent discussion on how to get the midi automatin to work in N.

Also there was
this thread over at Audio Minds.

HTH,
Rich