Jamstix?

Hey all…
now that I’ve finally got my connection issues worked out I’ve been investigating a software based drum machine (my old dr 550 is getting tired). Found the Jamstix site and it looks awfully interesting. But…surfing through the forum it looks like there’s been some compatibility issues with N-Track. Have they ever got it straightened out to work with N-Track? If so, what’s the general opionion on it? I’d be using for good old fashioned rock and roll ( of the big hair variety).

thanks,
Gunner

Gunner,

Search the forum - much has been discussed on the subject. Also make a point to look out for Richlum’s excellent “Getting Started” guide.

Mark

All the bugs are pretty much ironed out… any that do crop up in new beta’s are fixed in amazingly fast time by Ralph and his team at Rayzoon. Read through the rayzoon forum and you will see a response time to questions and bugs pretty much unrivalled by any other software developer.

There were a number of issues when Jamstix was first released but it runs fine for me now using latest beta of Jamstix (the non beta is fine too, but Jamstix beta’s have been very stable for me so I usually download them to check out the new features).

I’m using it with build 1846 of n-Track.

I posted a first cut of a “how to” type of doc for Jamstix and n-Track HERE

HTH,
Rich

I bought everything Ralph sells, and will continue to do so. Not only does he sell a great product, he is a heck of a nice guy and he knows how to use his own product! :slight_smile: He did the programming on a tune I co-wrote (lyrics, vocals) that would have taken me weeks to do… the deal was he programmed it and sent me the dump so I could plug it into my own Jamstix and learn from it, and I buy his software. He went above and beyond. Here is a rough mix sample of what Jamstix can do from over at ArtistCollaboration.com:

She’s A Cat

Paul

Thats probably the most stupidest song I’ve heard this year. Great guitar; horrible, over-done way too loud vocals…but, absolutely a good guitarist (s)in there somewhere.

Simon

Quote (chiller @ Jan. 17 2006,19:08)
Thats probably the most stupidest song I've heard this year. Great guitar; horrible, over-done way too loud vocals...but, absolutely a good guitarist (s)in there somewhere.

Simon

hmmmm, actually i thought it was a great song. great musicianship, great vocals, great mixing and producing.
Its not exactly the kind of music I prefer, but I can definatley tell talent when I hear it. I wish I could make something half as good.

thanks for all the replies and input!

Gunner

<!–QuoteBegin>

Thats probably the most stupidest song I’ve heard this year. Great guitar; horrible, over-done way too loud vocals…but, absolutely a good guitarist (s)in there somewhere.

Oh, it wasn’t that bad. Vocals and guitar were a bit upfront imo, drums sounded a bit far away.

And the chick sounded hot.

Sorry, I was being smart-arssed on that last nite. The words seemed silly to me, vocal was overblown, there was some really good music in there somewhere.

Listened again, still say the same as last nite…not trying to be mean, I luv anything someone else has done…but the words sounded silly to me. :) Maybe just me, but do it up!

Please dont even listen to me, just stopping by because I’m: bored, bipolar, cant sleep, screwed up, feeling guilty,looking for Nigle, wish I could play guitar.

Yeah, you do not want to be me.

Rich, thanks for re-posting the link to your excellent Jamstix/ntrack Guide! Flavio should post it permanently here somewhere. It gives me inspiration to check out Jamstix in conjunction with ntrack, which I already own.

On a related “beat,” has anyone here been in a situation with a band, where the drummer couldn’t make it to a scheduled rehearsal, even though everyone else could, and there wasn’t enough time to call in a sub?

Could ntrack studio and jamstix fill in for the delinquent traps player? If so, I’d consider building a dedicated DAW just for this!

I thought “She’s a Cat” was pretty good actually.
You want to hear silly lyrics, listen to The Darkness :)

As for Jamstix filling in at a band rehearsal, well you could but you’d probably need to have the arrangement for each song etup in Jamstix so it would know when to change rhythms, do fills, stops etc.

You could just set JS to free or keyword jam and “jam” though if you wanted as well.

Depends on how tight you want the drums to be with the song. Real tight would mean setting each song up beforehand, just some drums to keep time to and jam with then free or keyword jam would be OK I would think…

Might be easier just having the drum tracks on a cd and playing that back through the PA though…

Rich

<!–QuoteBegin>

You want to hear silly lyrics, listen to The Darkness

one way ticket to he l l and back…

Work that out…