Jet City amps

Anyone?

I’ve got a very old (mid 70’s) Marshall (tranny) combo on the NZ equivalent of eBay at the moment.

One bidder has suggested a swap for a Jet City JCA-20H tube amp.

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/2009/09/19/jca-20h/

I’m selling the amp to raise cash (sell amps for food - that kinda thing), but the Ytube vids and reviews I’ve seen of this amp mean I’m tempted.

Anyone got any real world experience of these amps?

Or any comments in general about Chinese tube amps?

Cheers

Mark

http://www.premierguitar.com/magazin…ps.aspx

http://www.guitarworld.com/article/jet_city_jca20h

Hi Mark A:

I was looking at your links but couldn’t find any schematics of their models… However, the tube layout looks O.K./right…
Class A B with Grid Bias… O.K.
A pair of EL 84’s/6BQ5’s and 12AX7’s all O.K.
The amp(s) should “Sing” O.K. and all…
There’s no reason not to, with good quality/selected tubes…

It might be nice to see some photos of the chassis from the inside to see the quality of the components-and-construction…

I’ve not seen-or-heard
of these amps where I travel…
If the power and output transformers are wound correctly, there’s no reason for those amps not to behave correctly and if they are mated up with a good “Singing” speaker cabinet of choice…

Bill…

Isn’t the Marshall worth a bit more than the Jet?

Hi, Back Again:

If that amp was built in …
call it…
the Western World, with Western Parts-and-Labour and had all the Mystique of UK and North American Ho-Hum, it would be talked up, Big Time…
However, it appears to be an amp built in China…
Having said that…
If all the Tube Design-and-Technology is properly used in their manufacture they will “Sing” just as well in the Western World as they will in any other part of the world.

I’ve seen some negativity expressed in the Reply/Threads on some message boards about this brand name… I’d like to add, who ever they are, may not have given these amps a fair shake…

Anybody know how long Jet City has been in operation ????

Bill…

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/support/

Well I’ve decided to give it a punt. The amp head here is about $700NZ ($500US) and the cab probably about the same. I don’t see the Marshall getting to that much. Maybe I’m wrong but I figured at least I’d give it a try. Wifey isn’t best pleased because I was selling the Marshall to pay for the dink in the back of her car that I have to take responsibility for. So now I gotta sell somfink else. Doh.

Don’t you get in trouble with the BosS…
You get that car fixed…
OR
ElSE…
:)
:p
:laugh:
No shortcuts, OR
ANYTHING…
yEA hEAR :p
Which way where you going, when you banged up the back-end, anyway ?

Bill…

Quote: (woxnerw @ Jan. 29 2011, 11:06 AM)

Don't you get in trouble with the BosS..
You get that car fixed..
OR
ElSE..
No shortcuts, OR
ANYTHING..
yEA hEAR :p
Which way where you going, when you banged up the back-end, anyway ?

Bill..

err backwards... when supposed to be going forwards. Stooopid Prdnl stick.

I though you had it all fixed up… and put behind you…

BoY… That can happen so easy…

Bill…

Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 29 2011, 2:49 AM)

Isn't the Marshall worth a bit more than the Jet?

Interesting point Tom. I know in the UK the amp wasn't worth mega bucks. A second hand Peavey combo would probably out sell it. Perhaps it's different over here (rarer amp?). Anyway, I'm happy with the deal so far - might change my mind when I hear the new amp, but you've got to speculate to accumulate.
Quote: (Mark A @ Jan. 29 2011, 12:16 AM)

Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 29 2011, 2:49 AM)

Isn't the Marshall worth a bit more than the Jet?

Interesting point Tom.
I know in the UK the amp wasn't worth mega bucks.
A second hand Peavey combo would probably out sell it.
Perhaps it's different over here (rarer amp?).
Anyway, I'm happy with the deal so far - might change my mind when I hear the new amp, but you've got to speculate to accumulate.

My .02 worth.. The tube amp is the amp-of-choice in negotiating the trade for the Marshall Amp.. That is, if the Marshall Amp is a Solid State Amp.. However, the tube amp will require more maintenance over the life-span of the amp..

I like "speculate to accumulate".. :agree: :)

Bill..

Hi Bill,

The more reviews I read the more of a positive feel I get for the tube amp. Yeah it may not be in the class of a boutique or vintage special but it should do its job. And I still think that 50% of the tone is in the players fingers.

Interestingly I have a rather beat-up, home-made 2x12 cab that I use with my rack amp (nothing special - a Rocktron preamp and a SS power amp). I’ve wanted to get something a bit smarter for ages so this deal works for me there too… it comes with a 2x12.

I’m gonna be surprised if you don’t feel at home with this tube amp…
You know, after you’ve tried all the the Transistor and Solid State Amps there’s no other place to go than a Tube Amp…
Have a look and see what brand name of tubes are in it now…
Then, find a shop that sells Tubes and ask them what brand names they handle…
Groove Tubes are considered the Hi-End Brand name…
However, the JJ Brand is what Traynor uses in their amps… At least you’re looking for the best quality for the value break…
If you were using it every night, six months is a length of time to consider replacing the output tubes…
OR…
at least have a replacement pair on-hand…
The preamp tubes only if they become microphonic, or quit altogether…

Well…
Speakers ????

A Matter-of-Taste… Reverb, Delay, Compression ????
All in the front-end pedals…

You’re gonna so like this amp…

That’s what I think…

Bill…

Quote: (woxnerw @ Jan. 30 2011, 4:27 AM)

I'm gonna be surprised if you don't feel at home with this tube amp..
You know, after you've tried all the the Transistor and Solid State Amps there's no other place to go than a Tube Amp..
Have a look and see what brand name of tubes are in it now..
Then, find a shop that sells Tubes and ask them what brand names they handle..
Groove Tubes are considered the Hi-End Brand name..
However, the JJ Brand is what Traynor uses in their amps.. At least you're looking for the best quality for the value break..
If you were using it every night, six months is a length of time to consider replacing the output tubes..
OR..
at least have a replacement pair on-hand..
The preamp tubes only if they become microphonic, or quit altogether..

Well..
Speakers ????

A Matter-of-Taste.. Reverb, Delay, Compression ????
All in the front-end pedals..

You're gonna so like this amp..

That's what I think..

Bill..

I hope so Bill.

A lot of the pages I've been reading are suggesting the JJ tubes too. I'll look into them.

So, what does everyone think about this idea that a tube amp sounds much louder than a tranny amp of the same power? Reality, urban myth?

Me again Bill,

I found the schematic for the amp (I think). Thought you might be interested.

This is from a mod site so is marked up with mods for a channel switch and a depth switch.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7599/jca20hmod12.jpg

Thanks for posting the link to the schematic of that amp…
It looks like a pretty nice amp…
The, along with the modifications it can be made into a Boutique amp with a little work…
If it were mine I’d consider the mod that adjusts the negative feedback circuit… That’s the mod that is connected to the output transformer and feeds the signal back to the phase amplifier circuit that drives the output tubes(EL84’s)…
Leo Fender called that circuit, the “Presence Control”, on his earlier models…

It might be nice to have Master Volume Controls, but on 100 watt class amps…

The speaker I would consider using on this class amp would be one of those Jensen alnico 12" speakers…
The ones Mr Soul talked about ion one of the Fender Deluxe Amp Threads we had going a while back…
Sometime before Christmas…
Put it in an “Open Backed” style cabinet…
It would tare your face off…

You know that amp is gonna make you the envy of your Music Class…

Bill…

Quote: (Mark A @ Jan. 29 2011, 9:45 AM)

So, what does everyone think about this idea that a tube amp sounds much louder than a tranny amp of the same power?
Reality, urban myth?

Reality.
I think I read somewhere that it has to do with odd & even harmonics.

I hear that that amp sucks soooooo bad that you’ll pay me to take it off your hands. I mean, you’re going to hate it soooo much that you’d be willing to fork out the shipping costs to Michigan, USA, even. Anyway, that’s what I heard.