John would have been 65

I still think about John Lennon way more than I should. I would have never learned to sing & play the guitar if it wasn’t for him.

Years ago I decided that I would finally be old when all the Beatles were gone. Man - only 2 more to go.

Imagine if John Lennon was 65

Hi Mr Soul:
These guys influenced how music is recorded and marketed, and will continue to do so, till the End-of-Time…

I think the world is due for another Musical Phonominium <spelling?.. It would be interesting to expirence another ONE… in our time…

Bill…

Unfortunately guys, the only musical phenomenona nowadays seem to be of the artificially produced, short lived, make a quick million variety. Would love a new Band to appear who looked like they might be good for ten albums or so! But I doubt it somehow :(

Bruffie

My fav Beatle for sure.

And the times they are a changin’ (not for the better I must say)

Bruffie’s right. It might happen sometime way in the future (100 years from now) but I don’t think it’s going to happen anytime soon. The times were right for the Beatles & the industry was new. Plus, there weren’t as many bands back then, so the Beatles (and others) had a large share of the market. Sorry but now there are just too many bands & not of all them are good.

The times were right for the classical composers of late, Beethoven, Mozart, etc., but you’ll notice that has happened again either.

Can you imagine poor John having to deal with Yoko at 65?

Imagine…

I still say that technology had a big part in it, that there would have been no Beatles without the technology, and that with the technology something like the Beatles was inevitable. There have been no comperable technological breakthroughs since - computers and synthsizers notwithstanding. I suppose if we all learned to hear Carlos A or Carlos B or something like that as being natural and beautiful, well, that might do it. Or if we developed a technology that would allow us to plug straight into the brain, or something. But short of that, there will never be another Beatles, just as there will never be another Mozart.

:)

Tom - when you say technology do mean having amplifiers or recording tape decks? What technology made it happen for Beethoven?

Technology doesn’t help in the talent dept. Case in point, look at 90% of the crap being released to day!

It’s just a rarity that 4 lads did what they did musically. (Magically) Technology, bah, humbug!

Mr. Soul…

Actually, there was a technological break-thru, of sorts, that aided in Beethovan’s rise in poplarity. The piano, prior to 1795, was more like a harpsichord. Ludwig was the first piano composer/virtuoso in Vienna to posess and perform on what we would recognize as a modern piano. The local music community was blown away, and bought the ‘new’ piano in record numbers.
This, of course, takes nothing away from the Beethovans genius, but the fact they he produced a revolution in music, on an instrument that was new, certainly indicates that they were both necessary for changing music.

I’ll buy that the piano was a technological break-through.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Technology doesn’t help in the talent dept. Case in point, look at 90% of the crap being released to day!

This is how I look at it - it’s not technology by itself, but it’s when a number of factors come together, and technology may be one of them. There’s always talent - there’s lot today, but not necessarily what gets popular.

Any change in technology will spur new ideas, and many of those ideas are outgrowths of using the technology in ways the technology wasn’t intended. They can become totally new things that have never been thought of before. This covers many different things, not just music or devices, but just the way we do things.

The Beatle haircut was not invented by The Beatles for example – we don’t think of this as a technology thing but the way it happened sort of is in the same vein. They picked up the style while in France. It wasn’t a fluke because one of them didn’t comb his hair after swimming, though that incident is probably true. Look at what happened when they took a local hair style and exposed it to the world. Hair is insignificant, yet, the change for men to wear long hair was a major thing at the time.

MEN should not wear LONG HAIR!!! They will appear as foul harlots!

Dang! Ignore that! Gideon is channeling again… time for my medication…

Advances in technology are spurred by the human spirit and the resulting changes spur even more ideas/concepts. Look at what satellite communication has done to spread the knowledge of other cultures around the globe. When I was a kid, all these places I see and read about everyday now were just pages in a book. They did not have a “real” meaning to me. As far as music goes, I don’t think we will ever see the likes of The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Zep etc again. Why? The digital age has made it possible for anybody to make a “record” and send it around the world. The days of the big record companies and HUGE bands are coming to a close IMO. My teenager does not buy music. He has a “base” of internet bands that he likes. They post for free or ship a CD to you for peanuts. While the genre/style is not my bag… there is no question that some of these guys are VERY good. Some of my favorite listening time consists of music compiled from sites like this one or Audiominds or CC. Matter of fact the last CD’s I bought for my personal pleasure were Bubbagumps Christmas CD and John P Bartons “Does Not Play Well With Others”. Spend my hard-earned money on Britney/J. Lo/Christina/Slipknot/Good Charlotte/White Stripes/etc… I don’t think so.

Commercial music SUX these days!

TG – old FART! Say phoo? Do the Fartones need a geetar hack?

Quote (Mr Soul @ Oct. 13 2005,13:34)
This is how I look at it - it's not technology by itself, but it's when a number of factors come together, and technology may be one of them.

I'll be danged ! My left eye just popped back into place.
This is beyond X-Files...

<!–QuoteBegin>

Say phoo? Do the Fartones need a geetar hack?

I’ll let Teryeah and Sean answer that. I’m still waiting for guitar parts from them (SLACKERS). We use guests ocassionally. :)

Quote (gtr4him @ Oct. 13 2005,14:39)
MEN should not wear LONG HAIR!!! They will appear as foul harlots!

HAHAHA ! Anytime bud :)

<!–QuoteBegin>
Say phoo? Do the Fartones need a geetar hack?

Anytime bud :) (in very phooish voice)
Quote (phoo @ Oct. 13 2005,14:46)
I'm still waiting for guitar parts from them (SLACKERS).

Bad BAD phooey !

Quote (teryeah @ Oct. 13 2005,14:42)
I’ll be danged ! My left eye just popped back into place.
This is beyond X-Files…

My Aunt had one of those ^%$# little rat dog looking thangs that could pop an eye out by bumping into a chair leg or something. You are calling up all these memories/mental images… :D :D :D

TG

:)

…and vocals, too.

Double :)