Jumped In

Both Feet Wet…

Gentlemen:
I did it… I couldn’t hold my breath any longer…

My Studio P-4 has XP Pro installed on it. I’m not able to and didn’t know how to install XP PRO from DOS… Anyway, I installed XP over '98SE…

Is that a good way to get to XP from '98SE? The only thing is, how do I get Service pack updates? I have Service pack 1 and 2, installed…

I’ve been working most of this week getting the utilities installed and as nessessary to replace this P-4 back in the studio… It will have no connection to the internet but will be connected to my internal network. One of the computers will be able to connect by way of a dial-up and 56k modem… Which has always been the way, here…

I have n-Track v4.0.5 build 1845 installed as of today…

By-the-way… n-Track has evolved into one beautiful Multi-Track Editor…

Thank you Flavio… :O :D

However… I have these XP Start-up issues…

My P-4 is an ASUS/Intel 1.7 mhz. Intel 850 512 meg. DDR Matrox G-550 AGP graphics card S/B Live 5.1 with Lexicon Core-32 LDI-12T and 24 LDI-10T out-board converters…

Before XP boots to the Desk I get this Password screen that I’m unable to get rid of. I don’t need it and I’m unable to find where I can delete it…

Can some one tell me how to dump that? ???

I’m installing and learning how to use all the VST/DX Plugs that I’ve bought-and-paid-for… with build 1845… All seem to be working so far… No issues…

Except… The new plugs that come with v4.xx

It appears that they have a dislike, on my set-up, with 800 x 600 screen res. They seem to like 1024 x 768 Res… But My eyes don’t like it… At 800 x 600 Res. I don’t see all of the plug’s image. At 1024 x 768 Res. I can’t see the plug’s image, without a magnefying glass… :p Is there anyway to fix that?

Everything looks nice and all at 1024 x 768 res… If only I could see it… ???

I have net FramWork 1.1 installed… I don’t know what it is, but it’s on the P-4…

Haveing said all of that, I’m sure I’ll get used to navigating with XP, but at the moment I’m hurting real bad in-my-brain, going between '98SE on some machines and XP on another…

I’m hopeing that some of you computer guys will post some of the resolves to the issues I have… I’d like to get on with the installation of the Lexicon Core-32 audio hardware… I don’t have it up and running, as yet…

Bill…

Log on: Go to Control Panel, User accounts and there should be a box to uncheck: require logon, or something to that effect. Let me know if you can’t find it. I’ll check my home machine.

BTW, you may want to have control panel show the classic view, ie Win98.

I just installed XP Pro. I have a DSL connection and it took me almost as long to run the updates as the install took. If you’re not going to be online, you may want to forgoe (sp?) SP1 and SP2, as I understand they are mostly security patches.

Enjoy XP, I hesitated moving up, but I think it is more stable.

Some links that may be useful:

Logon

Upgrade to XP

Windows reinstall

Hi valrecorder:
Those are great links. I’ve got some reading to do on them… It’ll keep me busy for some time.

They are the BEE’s KNEES… :O :laugh:

I opened the User’s Account in the Control Panel… But I don’t see anything in the panel that I see where there is a box to check for Passwords and all… I’m given a screen the opens to

“Pick a Task” and/or “Pick an Account to Change”…

The one thing that I see as I browse around… It’s so easy to “Screw-Things-Up” … :p :laugh:

Bill…

Hello woxnerw.

I hope I can help somehow. Probably the fastest way to report problems is by taking screenshots when possible. You can do this by pressing the Print Screen button in your keyboard. Open Paint (Start > All Programs > Accesories > Paint). Once open click Edit > Paste. You can save this as a jpg, bmp or gif file. This will give others a better idea of the error message that you are receiving. You can also try trouble shooting by going to www.google.com and typing inside quotations part of the error message you are receiving. For example " “Pick a Task” and/or “Pick an Account to Change”"

If you are getting a password screen on the first page you might be able to get rid of it the following way.

Go to Start > Control Panel (switch to Classic View)> User Accounts > Click on the administrator account > Remove my password.
If that doesnt work then go to Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or off > check or uncheck as needed.

The problem you are expiriencing with the plugins may have to do with some updates that you need.

The challenge when you update from an older operation system to a newer one is that you probably need to install all the drivers again and some things might give you conflict. Your machine (depending if it was a clone or brand name) might have been optimized for a specific operating system.

As far as the letters and the resolution. You can keep the resolution at 1024 x 768 and have the letters bigger. Here is how. Go to your desktop and do a right click. Go to properties, and click on Apperance. You have a choice to make the font normal, large or extra large.

I strongly recommend doing the microsoft updates if possible.

Good luck.

Hi evomusic:
Thanks for your reply to my post… I’m gonna copy-and-paste all this stuff and go through it as the days pass. I’m pretty slow at this stuff… I’m gonna look into getting a screen size/res. that I can see… with all the plugs, in view. Part of the n-Track plugs are missing cause the screen res is not right to show them at 800 x 600 res. They are all there at 1024 x 768 res.

It would be nice if working with a 2/3 monitor DAW set-up if the screen reselutions could be adjusted differentlly on each monitor screen according to it’s use/application… Well…

When the computer gets into the studio again, I have two 17" monitors there to see n-Track, and all… But, I’m still not that close to them, in the studio… We’ll see…

My home page gives you some perspective of how it looks when one is at the mixing desk…

My observations are… As the Operating systems improve, there is less-and-less interaction/control, between the DAW and the DAW operator… That’s just my opinion…

Bill…