Jumpy VU Meters

Hello-

I am brand new to mixing audio on computer. I have the latest version of NTrack running on a Dell 2.2GhZ Celeron with 1.0 GB of RAM.

I do all my recording on a standalone hard disk recorder, and then I dump the tracks onto my computer, using N-Track for mixing.

I am curious as to why the VU meters are very jumpy on playback. Rather than a smooth, up and down vertical movement of the green light, it is very choppy. So much so that you can’t really use the meters in any practical way. Also, the meters seem to be moving in advance of the audio. For example, on the first down beat of the song, you will see the meters jump up a split second before you hear the sound. It remains this way throughout the song’s playback.

Could this have something to do with the fact that I am using a stock soundcard and stock video card?

It’s obviously not a huge deal, but when I am looking at the meters on a compressor for example, I’d really like to know how much gain reduction I’m getting, and the meters, being as jerky as they are, makes it impossible to know with any kind of precision.

I should also mention that I also have the UAD-1 powered plugin card and I see the same problem on the meters in UAD-1 plugins.

Thanks!

The meters in n-Track (and your UAD-1) are of the peak variety - they are meant to be ‘jumpy’!

There are settings in n-Track (VU-meters anticipate output, range, responsiveness etc.) that may be altered to change the way they behave, but probably nothing like a ‘real’ VU-meter.

In that case, you may get a VST plugin to do the job - for instance PSP VintageMeter from PSP Audioware - strap it over your master channel in order to get proper readings…

regards, Nils

Hi guys, on this topic:
I’m playing with another meter utility that I saw and downloaded just last week… It’s a little more than just a meter utility, though…

Looking for the link… here

It looks like it’s gonna work very well with n-Track… I’m still looking at it’s potential…

Remember… there’s always latiencies that we have to deal with… It’s something to consider… Well…

Bill…

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

I tried downloading PSP Vintage meter and it didn’t work much better than the ones in N-track. I’ll also check out the one Bill recommended.

I messed with the buffer settings a bit and I found that when I lowered the buffer settings the meters looked a lot better, although I don’t think my machine can handle the lower buffer settings too well. I started getting some clicks and pops. Do you think this is more likely due to my stock soundcard? Or could it be my CPU or RAM?

I couldn’t find the “VU-meters anticipate output” setting in Version 5. Anybody know where this is? Finally, would a graphics card help in my situation? I am no big hurry to get one, just curious if that’s part of my problem.

Thanks again…

Hi FNULNU:
I can’t find that check-box in v5 builds, either… I know it was there in earlier versions-and-builds…

Right-clicking on the meters will be a space for checking the meter’s response, though… (I think that’s how Flavio got around all of that)… I set the meter’s response at “FAST”. I don’t know… it might be better for you… Play with the check-boxes…

Remember… working with DAW’s is a compromise… Having something work (right-or-better) means trading some other feature away/off…

If you want great graphics it’s gonna take resources (to see that)…

If you want (Real time ability) you may need to trade something else away…

I know, I don’t like to see my graphics card shared with any other IRQ/Hardware… and… the same… for the Audio card… As well… don’t be sharing Main Board Buses with those two cards… It seems to help the Pops-and-Clicks…

When you’re stressing your computer to the limit you can almost expect your hard drives not to stream correctly… I think that’s why you “Freeze” plug-ins and all with some tracks…

I know all this helps a lot when I use the “earlier” version of EndItAll… especially on this P-111, Editing Machine, I use… You gotta shut down these applications that are running in the background when your editing tracks with your audio multi-track editors…

I’ve found that pop-and-clicks don’t translate as p-ps-and-clicks after you render your timeline to a two-track file, anyway… Hearing them when you’re tracking-and-editing stresses your mind when you’re stressing your DAW with all them “Magic Tracks” on your timeline…

Well, that’s what I’ve learned from these clever guys that hang around this Board…

Bill…