Just a few simple tricks

and I’m still lost

I was recording a song the other day (real guitar and MIDI instruments). I recorded the solo in 4 sections for ease of recording. As I did this, each new section was sent to a new track. After all 4, I wanted to drag them to the same track to make it look neater and also so that I only had to adjust one track’s parameters when setting levels.

95% of the time, when I drag the track, it moves all over the place (left/right) and so goes out of time. I have to CTRL Z many times until I am able to meticulously drag the file without shifting it. Surely there is an easier way to do this than my time consuming method?

Also I noticed “spikes” in the timeline of my rhythm tracks. On playback, they are noisy/static blips. My input is not too loud at all and these blips are not there when recording solo guitar.

Sometimes when I play the 6th string, the bass reverberates my speakers but I am getting these intermittent interferences on root 5th and 4th string chords.

I thought maybe my cable is dodgy but this is negated by my perfect solo recordings and I’ve also hit “record” and waggled the cable but still no crackle that way.

I even turned my speakers off and recorded blind (or deaf!) but still the crackles were there on playback. Any ideas? I have wav files to send anyone who wants to listen.

It is blighting me and - as mentioned in other threads - I only want to be able to do really simple recording.

If you click on the red button under the record VU meter, you’ll see that you have the option “record to new track” enabled. This is the default. Set it to “record to track 3” (or whatever) and you can keep on soloing on the same track.

Hi Ice 9,

Regarding these 2 concerns:

1) “95% of the time, when I drag the track, it moves all over the place (left/right) and so goes out of time.”
Possible solution…Holding the “shift” key allows us to drag tracks vertically only; Is that what you might need to do?

2) “Also I noticed “spikes” in the timeline of my rhythm tracks. On playback, they are noisy/static blips.”
Possible solution…Is it possible during rhythm playing that you are touching your guitar’s pickups with your pick or fingers? That is the problem that I have encountered that resulted in “static blips.”

All the best,
John

Hi,

Roney, I don’t want to redo a solo. I am recording sections of a solo. There are sections that I don’t want to overwrite.

John, thanks - holding the shift key holds the track static whilst I move it up/down.
As for the spikes, I am not catching the pickups and if I did, this would happen when soloing too. It’s only just started doing it so am quite perturbed.

when you are combining multiple tracks into one, hold down the SHIFT key while dragging the track segment up or down. this seems to help prevent the track from shifting left or right and going out of synch.

edit: whoops, just noticed someone beat me to it. eek!

Hi Ice,
<!–QuoteBegin>

Roney, I don’t want to redo a solo. I am recording sections of a solo. There are sections that I don’t want to overwrite.

As long as you’re in non-destructive mode (which is the default) you won’t overwrite what you recorded. Just start at any point in the track and record from there. You can pull the handles at the ends of the recorded segments back anf forth to expose the previously recorded take if they overlap.

Hope this helps
Quote (Ice 9 @ May 18 2005,10:24)
As for the spikes, I am not catching the pickups and if I did, this would happen when soloing too. It's only just started doing it so am quite perturbed.

Sudden bursts of white noise that appear as clipping peaks in your waveform after you record?

This could be a dropout. If you are gettng this in simple projects with only a few tracks in a project, not many effects added, low CPU usage etc (N track displays %cpu usgage for you), then I would bet its a buffering issue. This is to do with how the large audio files are read from disc.

Do you know which audio drivers you are using? It will tell you under File/settings/preferences/audio devices.

If you are using wdm drivers, you need to tweak both the settings of your card AND N track bufering settings until you get stability.

In N track Go to File/settings/preferences/buffering and try turning up the buffering to very high (for recording should be right up anyhow).

Can't help you with your card, unless you have a Terratec DMX6 fire.

If you are using ASIO drivers, the big benefit here is that the n track buffering settings are ignored and you only have to tweak one setting: your card's ASIO driver settings.

Its like a flow of traffic along a busy street. Get all the cars going at the right speed, and you get continous flow. What happens if some cars go too fast or to slow? It can bring the whole street to a standstill.

I have had lots of problems with this issue myself.

There are other things that could cause this, but try buffering first.

Here are all the other things!

http://www.tweakheadz.com/troubleshooting_audio_cards.htm

Mutley, I can hear it when I am recording. Imagine playing a vinyl LP and the little bursts of static you get before the song starts (or mid song if it’s scratched).

As said, only on rhythm tracks.

I am running an Audigy 2 ZS Plat Pro.
Under File/settings/preferences/audio devices, the drivers in “audio playback” are Audigy ZS ASIO (x3), Creative ASIO and (highighted) 1 - MME: Wave Mapper.

Under “recording”, the same are present and the same is highlighted.

Roney, thanks for the solo info in non destructive mode!

Don’t use the MME driver!!! With the plat pro the best driver to use is the ASIO driver or ASIO 24 bit driver. The WDM driver only allows a single stereo input, the ASIO driver will allow you to record 6 channels simultaneously. If you can’t make it do this post back.

For combining tracks, don’t forget you can output to a group and then use the group mixer settings to adjust all tracks in the group.