Just checking out Ntrack for the first time in a..

please help me figure out this nice prog

while, and its amazing!

very intuitive.

I used a demo version a long time ago to record stuff, and mix it down without saving it :wink:

i would definetly consider buying this program, but i have a couple of questions:

the graphics are a bit old stylish, but thats okay, its not the most important thing to me. The only problem is, when i scroll down, to expose more tracks, it seems to have redrawing issues. Are these issues being fixed?

also, regarding the view, I would like to see several tracks at once. is there a view option to have this enabled all the time? I dont need to have a huge view of one track, it is very rare when i do.

Does the 64 bit mixing engine really make a difference, and is it up to par with sonar and tracktion in this regard?

is there a folder tracks option, in other words, can you group several tracks together under one “parent” track, like in the newer versions of cubase and nuendo, and samplitude?

How well does the freeze work, is it easy to use? Can you edit them further after they have been frozen? I find samplitudes freeze to be the most efficient… does n-tracks compare?

How are the midi features? Is it easy to say, load up a vst soft synth and play it? how do you do so?

I have a presonus firepod, with wonderful asio drivers. Im sure the rest of my system is up to is as well.

any tips appreciated.

comments please! :)

also, is there a way to set a folder on your hard drive for all the waves of a particular song to record in? a la samplitude where you open a new project and it asks you for a folder name, makes the folder for you then all of the freeze and waves go under that folder automatically?

Ok, lets have a go

<!–QuoteBegin>

the graphics are a bit old stylish, but thats okay, its not the most important thing to me. The only problem is, when i scroll down, to expose more tracks, it seems to have redrawing issues. Are these issues being fixed?

Many folks have commented on the old-skool look of n-Track. I personally have no problems. In the past some folks here have experimented with changing some of the icons etc but at the end of the day we are here to record.

As for the re-draw issue you are seeing, are you sure it’s not just n-Track drawing its “npk” files the first time it “sees” the track? If you scroll to the bottom, back to the top and ten down again does the problem persist? If so it’s most likely a graphics-specific problem with your machine. Check for new graphics drivers or try lowering the graphics accelleration in Windows.

<!–QuoteBegin>

also, regarding the view, I would like to see several tracks at once. is there a view option to have this enabled all the time? I dont need to have a huge view of one track, it is very rare when i do.

Absolutely. There are a bunch of zoom etc icons on the toolbar. n-Track seems to default to the “show big track” mode that you are seeing. There’s a button on the toolbar to turn that off.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Does the 64 bit mixing engine really make a difference, and is it up to par with sonar and tracktion in this regard?

Can’t comment on this yet.

<!–QuoteBegin>

is there a folder tracks option, in other words, can you group several tracks together under one “parent” track, like in the newer versions of cubase and nuendo, and samplitude?

There is a “group” facility like on a real mixing desk whereby several tracks can be sent to one group. You can then minimise/hide the original tracks so you are just working with the group.

<!–QuoteBegin>

How well does the freeze work, is it easy to use? Can you edit them further after they have been frozen? I find samplitudes freeze to be the most efficient… does n-tracks compare?

It seems to work just fine. Tracks can be unfrozen and then edited.

<!–QuoteBegin>

How are the midi features? Is it easy to say, load up a vst soft synth and play it? how do you do so?

Vsti are supported but MIDI editing is a little cimbersome in places.

I hope this gets you going. Have a read of the manual and a play with the demo. Most of your questionsf would then answer themselves.

got to go…

Mark

hmmm i will take a look, thanks!

the redraw issue persists, even after the track is written…

I dont have this issue with other programs, which is why i blame n-track, but it is a minor annoyance.

Describe the redaraw, because it really does sound like what Mark mentioned.

BTW, would folks here describe Pro Tools’ graphics as sort of “old stylish”? :)