Just installed 4.1

I’m seeing very high CPU usage!!!

I didn’t follow the CPU threads closely because I wasn’t running 4.1, but I’m seeing CPU usage around 96% on a project that would run consistently around 50% in 3.3. This is totally unusable & unacceptable.

It seems directly related to plug-ins (I’m using alot). If I turn them off, the CPU drops to around 12%. But I didn’t get this with 3.3.

Any thoughts? I may have to switch back because this isn’t gong to work.

Thanks.

There’s a couple ways of looking at CPU usage in V4. Right-click on the CPU indicator at the bottom left and select absolute or fractional. I think V3.3 uses absolute, with will show a little lower %, but is less meaningful.

Switching it to absolute makes it read more like 3.3. Is there a discussion of absolute vs. fractional somewhere?

4.1 is actually stopping with a error dialog saying it can’t run because of high CPU usage.

Are there things turned on by default in 4.1, that I can turn off?

Maybe.

There’s always-on EQ and Compression in every channel. Neither should do much if you don’t change the default settings. 3.3 has EQ so there is little difference there.

Check to see if there is reverb in the AUX returns. That may be a default, also, and will definitely use a bit of CPU. I don’t know how much the DON’T do when not sending to them.

Yes, there are lots of things that can be turned off. On thing all developers do is turn on the new stuff so folks that upgrade will see them.

4.1 definitely uses more CPU than 3.3, but it’s doing more. Under the hood in 4.1 there are somethings that are a lot more efficient than 3.3 but the other stuff seems to counteract it a little. My track count is a little lower using the default settings, but by disabling some stuff that I use to be able to leave on I can get about the same number of tracks in 4.1. I also have to set my buffers up one notch higher as the track count gets up around 12 or so. It’s very plug-in dependent. With no plug-ins I have a feeling I could get more tracks with 4.1 than I could 3.3. I use a few new plug-ins that I didn’t have with 3.3 so it’s hard to gauge

Flavio posted an explanation of the CPU methods to the forum a while back. I think it was Flavio…regardless it was discussed by someone that seemed to know. I don’t remember what the actually differences are, but one of them is pretty accurate in predicting drop outs, and is labeled that way.

I definitely want to turn off all nTrack compression, EQ, etc. I use my own plug-ins for these. I’m not seeing where there is compression on individual tracks?

If I can’t lick this, I’m going to have to go back to 3.3.

By default, the spectrum analyzer view is turned on in the track EQ window.
Turn that off and you’ll see a considerable decrease in CPU usage.

Hi Mr Soul and phoo:
I’m watching your posts and I’m somewhat surprised with your findings… I made the leap from build 1516 v3.3, to 1811 v4.0.1 with some heasitation… I’m at build 1996 now and looking forward to the next builds that comes our way…

I have what I call, A-Test-Project, that I import into each up-date to check the basic things that are important to my set-up … It contains a Stereo Track and two Mono tracks, that I check againt each build… I then import some of the favorite plugs that I use on a regular basis… I’ve found Little-or-No CPU abuse as it has been going… here…

In my recall… I have seen CPU useage on build 1516 at or around 1% and then go to 3-4% on build 1996, now… For the basic TEST TRACKS… The CPU useage with the Third-Party Plugs that I test with those tracks have little-or-no influence on the CP Change… :O ??? Either here… or… in the studio… with XP Home… But there is some difference with '98SE and build 1516, as the Desk… I’d like to be able to get to the latest build with the same TEST TRACKS… but nothing that is alarming…

phoo… Could you see any issues that might arise with the '98SE desk, if I updated n-Track to the latest build?

Bill…

Hey Bill,
What’s with the dots? :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’m watching your posts and I’m somewhat surprised with your findings…

Which finding is surprising?

You said you saw CPU usage go up when moving form V3.3 to V4.1, and that’s what what I see too, when CPU usage is not displayed as absolute (V3.3 default but not V4.1 default) and some defaults are not turned off or disabled – some of those doen’t exist on V3.3. Mike sees it go up but I see it go down under simple scenarios and conditions.

When playing tracks and no plug-ins I see it go down quite a bit. My comparison (when I see it go up - maybe under any conditions) is not totally fair since I use many plug-ins that I didn’t have with V3.3. For example what happens when using 8 instances of the n-Tracks Multi-Band Compressor and 12 stereo 24 bit tracks? I never did that with V3.3.

I can’t answer your question about Win98. WinXp is so much more stable that I can’t recommend any version of Win9x for anything. As for any issues? Yes, there are a lot of reasons not to use Win98, but not directly related to n-Tracks. n-Tracks is compiled using a new, post Win98, compiler. It may optimize better for WinXp. n-Tracks uses .NET. How well does the latest .NET work on Win98? I don’t know. My guess is that it will work, but it won’t be optimal. I haven’t used any version of n-Tracks on Win98 since V2.1.

Hi phoo:
Now that I read my post I 'm here wondering what I mean by it.

I was doing quite fine up till the time I installed an early version of 4.0 {I don’t remember the build number} on this ASUS P-111 1.2mhz computer. It was before netframwork needed to be used as a utility or whatever for the install to operate… Windows’98SE and n-Track didn’t like to exist, in the harness… So, as a result, I had to revert back to build 1516 and all was happy, again.

I may have been fortunate, but any builds of n-Track I installed, with the computers I had, useing '98SE gave me no issues with CPU useage… There were many projects that I got involved with that had as many as 32-38 tracks on the time-line. Lots of VST and DX compressors, limiters,and reverbs (I don’t know how many) but lets say, any number of plugs. I’ve seen the cpu useage go as high as 70-80% but it gave me no issues…

I might add that the one biggest issue I have encountered, and is, during editing, I would run out of Memory running that many tracks if I have to cut-and-paste pieces of tracks to “Time” the “Hits”-of-Bed-Tracks… I wish I would have had a Gig of memory to pull some of those edits off. I wouldn’t have had to do as many “Save-As” operations…to flush the ram of memory.

I would say that the biggist issue I encountered after migrating to Xp was, to get set up with the correct hardware/software drivers and and install .exe’s to take place with XP and All.

A BIG Thank-You to You and Mark A for all the help you gave me to identify just what was going on with all of this stuff… I’m just about ready to begin a new project and get serious with my creative ideas, again. I have a few more technical things to resolve, and then I’m off-and-running.

Even after all these hurddles, I still have not had to comtend with High CPU useage… Well… so-far-so-good…

The biggist issue I find that I’m faced with is, importing and useing files created with v4 and XP desk with '98SE and v3.3 build 1516…It’s a real headache… You see, the CORE-32 and’98SE created tracks are unable to be imported directly into the time-lines of v4.0.1/4.1 and XP created time-lines… and vise-versa… If '98SE as a desk and later versions of n-Track 4.1 would work seamlessly, then I will have breached the gap…

I am frightened-to-death to attempt to up-grade to v4.1 on this '98SE dual-boot partition…

I haven’t noticed CPU useage go up to the point where I have run out of resources… or anything like that. Under normal/average conditions, not that I can recall. As soon as I see something strange appearing, I hault everything and do an End-It-All, and go back to what I was trying to create… I envarably have forgot to use that utility before I started whatever I was doing… Well.

Anyway, the Long-and-Short of it is, CPU useage has not been an issue with any DAW and n-Track build combinations, over here. I hope it doesn’t proove me wrong, after saying that…lol… :O :p :laugh:

Bill… :p Yea… why do I do that? lol… :p Could it be?? I stutter?? …

<!–QuoteBegin>

the spectrum analyzer view is turned on in the track EQ window

Do you mean on the Track Channel settings window? I see the SA and the Compressor there. Do you just turn off “Show output frequency spectrum” and “Show EQ frequency reponse”?

I’m finding the UI very confusing. What does the little Orange box that nTrack puts around certain buttons (when you press them) mean? Does the litte red circle with a line through it mean that the effect is off - I’m assuming that it does?

Also, I noticed that when I record, the time-scale is really compressed (shrunk). How do I get that back to 3.3 settings?

I typically pushed nTrack (and my computer) to their limits. But basically, I do 96/24 work which really puts a strain on the computer. So any unnecessary CPU cycles that nTrack is using, I need to turn off. I’m eventually going to build a dual-core or 64-bit machine but I’m not ready to do that yet.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Do you mean on the Track Channel settings window? I see the SA and the Compressor there. Do you just turn off “Show output frequency spectrum” and “Show EQ frequency reponse”?

Just the frequency spectrum. There’s a check for the Left Channel and the Right Channel.

<!–QuoteBegin>
I’m finding the UI very confusing. What does the little Orange box that nTrack puts around certain buttons (when you press them) mean? Does the litte red circle with a line through it mean that the effect is off - I’m assuming that it does?

I’m very confused by this question. You are asking about features that have been in place for years…literally years. Do you ever use n-Tracks really? Seriously. I’m not being flippant, but this question shows that you haven’t looked at some of the most basic in your face features of the application.

The Orange box as seen in the mixes indicates that the EQ for that channel is open. If it’s orange then it’s open somewhere but it may be hidden behind another window. Click the button to close the EQ or toggle it to close it and reopen it. Opening it will pop it to the front.

Yes, the red circle means the effect is disabled. It’s the “not” thing used all over the world. Every plug-in has one, and they have been there a very long time.

<!–QuoteBegin>
Also, I noticed that when I record, the time-scale is really compressed (shrunk). How do I get that back to 3.3 settings?

I don’t understand what you are asking for. This is related to basic Zoom functionality, unless I’m misunderstanding. There are buttons to zoom on the toolbar and in the view menu. There is no 3.3 setting. 3.3 supported zoom as well.

You should give the computer a break. Record at 44.1k and 24 bits. That will help a lot and I seriously doubt you’ll hear a difference, though you may when falling back to 16 bit recording.

Am I the only one who thinks that 4.1 should be called n-Tracktion?

<!–QuoteBegin>

Record at 44.1k and 24 bits. That will help a lot and I seriously doubt you’ll hear a difference, though you may when falling back to 16 bit recording.
This is very true.
I might add that, if you remember to convert everything to 32 bit before doing any destructive editing, and only back to 16 once at the very end, the difference between 16 and 24 bit recording isn’t very big either.

The red circle & the orange box were not in 3.3 or at least they weren’t in my 3.3? When I say the UI is confusing, I mean there’s too much on each dialog & you can get to the same function often many ways.

96/24 sounds better guys, especially with acoustic instruments. The pro’s used 96/24 or 128/24 for a reason. This is an old debate that’s not worth having.

3.3 handled my work for the most part. I’m still giving 4.1 a try.

Sorry…4.0 beta came out in April. I haven’t use 3.3 in a while.

I do know what the red “not” circle means.

On my PSP plug-ins, the red circle is always on when the plug-in is on. nTrack also says that it’s off even though it’s really on. When I click the red circle, the orange box appears around the circle and the plug-in is turned off. This is why I asked about it, because it seems wrong to me.

Also, on the Track channel settings dialog, the little wrench symbol is confusing. What does it affect - the EQ? When you click it says Remove Effect, etc.

Edit - I gave up & went back to 3.3. I recorded rough tracks to a song today with 4.1 & I couldn’t even get it to play back in stereo (which was the last straw). I think it’s because 3.x was so easy to use that makes it difficult for me to switch. 3.3 does 90% of what I need & it’s easy to use.