KEL Audio HM-1

mics

Anyone tried one of these?
KEL Audio

They look interesting, and for the bread they seem like an alternative to a ribbon for less ‘brittleness’. I’m sure there’ll be differences!..but I’m still pretty new to all this, and it might be functional to stay cheep!

Woxnerw, didn’t you buy a matched pair?

I have a pair of HM-1’s… I have some photos posted of their inner-datails and all… The guy is over in Winnipeg, Manatoba…

He’s great to deal with… and down-to-earth…

The pair I ordered was as-close-to-a-Matched Pair as can be manufactuered by the builders. I have response graphs of the indivudal mics… I waited a couple of extra weeks for the ones I have… so, he do a Pick-of-the-Crop to select the ones I have… for me…

I haven’t done any amount of tracking with them yet but He has some files posted of what they sound like, on his page…

I’m waiting for a Nylon Strung Guitar Project/Session to use them to Track… with…

I would describe them as being on the “Dark” end of the spectrum… and that’s just great, with me… I’m thinking they could make great “Over-Head” mics for a Tub-Session… Gotta have mics in your closet… And… these are great…

The HM-1’s I have are shown on the page, I have, along with some other mics I have, in my collection…

Bill…

Yeah, they look interesting, and the reviews are too. And I’m also interested in leaving the ‘bright’ end of the spectrum- I don’t recall the whole world sounding like that! I have some 57’s and a ‘pair’ of Sennheiser MD431 dynamic “high-gain-before-feedback” performance type (they look like something Elvis would’ve used in Las Vegas!), but they’re not as detailed as condensers. I think I’m going to be after a pair of them KEL’s, soon’s I recover from the upgrade and soundcard I’ve just added.

That HM-4 looks kind of neat too. And I’d like a ribbon… but one grand thing at a time! (wantwantwantwantwant…)

What’s a ‘Tub-session’?

Hi Sloom:
I’m not one for getting the Drummers up here on the Board after me or On-My-Case… Sorry You-Guys… :O :laugh: That’s my expression-and-terminoledgy, of Drums/Percuessionists/TUBS… Well…

I once ended up as a Percuessionist on a tracking session with a Cardboard box held in my left hand with the handle of a screwdriver in my right hand, creating a track for a project… Hey, that was way back in the '60’s… I wasn’t even a “Tubbist”… :p :laugh: Well, then… I wasn’t… Sorry, you guys… I think I weighed 125 lbs… :cool:

Bill…

Tubbist! Beautiful- I’m going to use that! And I’m all about the cardboard box idea. That’s how you do it!

Here is a discussion that went on a while back about the Kel HM-1

http://www.ntrack.com/cgi-bin…=doug+w

Well, that’s a pretty good scan of impressions on the mic, thanks for the link, Doug.

Now I haven’t been too intense about needing to record a stereo source as of yet, I’m doing everything pretty much mono, incl drums- so I might just get a single and go with that for a while (as I mentioned, there are a lot of unforgiving surfaces in my environment here which might benefit from a ‘softer’ sounding mic). But if I were to decide later to add a second, I wonder if one actually could send a freq plot of a purchased mic back to KEL Audio for a post-match-up? Did anyone ever try that?

Hi Doug W and Sloom:
The guy over there is good to deal with, in that regard… The only issue to deal with regarding that idea might be the availability of that mic, somewhere down-the-road…

And yes… I think that the X-Y Graph that comes with the mic is something that he does with the mics as they arrive to him… I have no issue with that… In fact it is a Proof-of-Performance of the mic, as it comes from the distribution point…

I know… I posted a series of photos of the mics when they arrived to me. showing the outter body and grill assembly of the mic… removed… I sent the link over to him… He was aware that showing those photos was an acceptable selling point for the “Home” Trackers… They might be over on the Artist Collaboration page, I have… I check, for a link, over there… I haven’t been able to open the page that I have, over there, recentlly…

Bill…

[EDIT]
This is on the Q.T. :O :p
Don’t be tellin them drummers that Track’in tubs with Real drums is PaseH… Tama, Yamaha, and Priemier… a Thing-of-the-Past… :p :laugh:

Heh-heh…cardboard box. Hee-hee…

The girl we tracked that session for went on to become quite a popular “Front”… Her name was Murnna Lorrie… I may have the spelling wrong… Remember, that was way back in the early '60’s… If I remember correctly, the mic we used on that Cardboard Box was the Shure 330 ribbon mic… She was quite the “Kiddo”, in her days… :;): :)

Bill…

I’ve seen that mic. :)

I used my MXL V63-M to do a drum sound on a plastic lidded peanut can. Sounded pretty good. A plastic milk jug works too, for a kick-drum sound, if you can tame the attack of your finger hitting it. Thin plastic carries a lot of zingy attack.

Here is some pics of mine… I love the Mic… great company.

(All) Oooooohhhhhhh…

Neat.

Thanks for those photos…

I looked everywhere for the photos I posted of the HM-1’s. I must have turfed them… But these have great detail… The ones I posted were taken with my 29.00 camera… way back when… Now I have a 30.00 camera… :laugh: :p

Bill…

I remember seeing a review of these in a magazine a while back. I’ve recently started recoding drums in my basement. It seemes like these might be a good idea to use as overheads if they will take some of the brighter sounds out. I’ve got ceramic tile floors, and wood paneled walls and a low ceiling. (Not a good situation but you work with what you’ve got.)

If anyone ever tries these as drum overheads, please give us a report.