Kinda like this one

:slight_smile:

Here’s today’s effort - “Demon Haunted World”:

Demon Haunted World - Click Here

:D

Carl Sagan reference?

Cool tune Tom. :agree:

I haven’t listened on the near-fields yet but it seems a bit upper mid-rangey to me? Also, where’s the bass frequencies? Lemme check on the big boxes but at first listen I’d say it could use a bit of tweaking.

** Of course, we are talkin’ crappy Sound-click-ized mp3 here… so if it sounds great on your monitors just come back here and tell me to stuff it! :cool: **

D - mp3 hater…

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Aug. 29 2008, 2:48 PM)

Carl Sagan reference?

Yes!

:D

D - I mentioned on another thread, I'm playing with the Nick Lowe aesthetic.
The mp3 sounds crappy to me, but on my big JBLs and on the Alesis monitors it sounds cool.
But my ears are not exactly golden.

Oh - and I spent the afternoon working on the Buick (got the engine on the engine stand all by myself!) so I tried to make the bass sound like some mechanic working on a Buick, since I hear tell that's considered a good sound.

Hmm...perhaps this is one for Bubbagump's mix/mastering service...

:)
Quote:

D - I mentioned on another thread, I'm playing with the Nick Lowe aesthetic. The mp3 sounds crappy to me, but on my big JBLs and on the Alesis monitors it sounds cool. But my ears are not exactly golden.

Oh - and I spent the afternoon working on the Buick (got the engine on the engine stand all by myself!) so I tried to make the bass sound like some mechanic working on a Buick, since I hear tell that's considered a good sound.

Is that a polite way to say "STUFF IT D!!" LOL... Believe me Tom, I don't have "golden ears" either. :(

D

I know I saw the chrome bumper and front-end of that Buick… What year is it ?

Bill…

Tom - That’s really good! Performance-wise, very tight all around! Well written… you got it goin’ on!

Quote: (Diogenes @ Aug. 29 2008, 6:21 PM)

Is that a polite way to say "STUFF IT D!!"
LOL... Believe me Tom, I don't have "golden ears" either. :(

D

Nah. Just an excuse. It has become increasingly clear to me that I haven't a clue how to mix.

Bill - 55 Buick Special Riviera 4-door. Cornet blue and white. :agree:
Quote:

It has become increasingly clear to me that I haven't a clue how to mix.

Well, if YOU don't, I must really suck... Don't be so hard on yourself. Like I said, it is really, REALLY hard to check out a mix in "Soundclick-erized" mp3 format. They have to be using a pretty low bitrate even for the "Hi-Fi" streams. That adds a lot to the "upper mid-rangey" sound and plays heck with the bass.

If another contest is held, I propose we scour the web for a good hosting service and everybody puts up full 16/44.1, CD ready mixes. I'd even pop for a months service charge myself.

D

I’m all for that, D. Especially the part where you pay! :laugh:

(Kidding!)

Great tune Tom. :agree:

Not gonna say anything 'bout the mix, am being nice today by orders of Mrs. Yaz!

Only heard it on lo-fi, so even if I had golden ears, I couldn’t comment on the mix. What impresses me most is your constant stream of quality lyrics. You always find something to sing about. Even at my most lyrically inspired, I never approached what you manage to do.

Very true Kev, Tom’s tune crafting skills are superb to say the least. :agree:
(Don’t go getting the big head Tom, well actually if I could write tunes like you I would have the big headed ego no one could stand LOL)

I’m gonna quit commenting on mixes, a lot of it is personal preference, JUST DO IT! (I need a swoosh right there)

How do you do it? Everytime I stop by here you have a new tune or 2 up and THEY ARE ALL SO DAMN GOOD!!

Duff

Thanks, Duffman, that’s very kind, and I feel kind of enbarrased.

Yaz - don’t stop commenting on the mixes.
My snares are better, riight?

And in all seriousness, it is really…interesting…to learn that I simply do not have whatever it takes to do good mixes, even after messing around with this stuff for years and years.
I am now convinced that there is some part of mixing that is an in-born, hard-wired talent, and that I lack it.
I’m not whining, really, it is fascinating to learn that.

I wonder what otehr kinds of things people who are good at mixing are also good at.
E.g., I’m pretty good at analytic things, logic, that sort of thing, pretty good with spatial reasoning, mechanical stuff, but I have no visual artistic skills to speak of, and can’t dance worth crap.
I bet there is a neurological basis for these, and that there is some correlation between some of the skills and mixing skills.

edit: Oh, I’m also the worst speller I know.

This is great! Another good one, you got a really great sense of melody and chord progression songwriting, the sound just flows on and pleases the ears.

Tom - you’re so good - that I don’t even
have to listen anymore. I just see that you have
a new song up, and I go WOW ‘that’s great’. :)

it sounds like dinosaur JR, with better vocal performer. Maybe the voice sounds too lively, but it’s cool.

PRO: 87%

Quote: (wyndorf @ Sep. 01 2008, 3:43 PM)

it sounds like dinosaur JR, with better vocal performer. Maybe the voice sounds too lively, but it's cool.

PRO: 87%

Hey, that's a hell of a compliment. J. Mascis is a personal hero.