kiss me once more

http://www.soundclick.com/player…ewref=1

this is a new song we wrote for the worldovision song contest thing were doing on the songwriters anonnymous website… or is it songsmiths they keep changing the flippin name
anyway i wanted to post it here
people have been critisizing our stuff on other forums saying theres not much bass so weve tried to up the bass but when we do it sounds boomy this has been a real compromise trying to up the bass guitar & the kick drum
any ideas?

Yes, well getting a tight bottom end is always a challenge - musically and otherwise… :slight_smile:

I’m no expert but I have found that careful use of EQ and, more significantly, multiband compression helps hugely. But you’ve got to have a good listening/monitoring environment.

Hi bright lights tonight:

Thanks for posting up the link to your latest creation…
Nice and energetic…

The mix is great … However, I need to listen to the song at something better than 90 - 92 db SPL…
Good listening level for that style/flavor of music…
:agree:
:agree:

Bill…

Cracker. Bass sounds solid and perfect (to me, anyway) straight out of my desk on a pair of bog standard Beyerdynamic dt100’s. Checked the mix against Sleeper and Garbage.

Tina, the song sounds perfect to me, too, the bass isn’t boomy at all. I’ve always heard the best way to test a song is listen to it in the average environment others would hear it in, such as your car stereo. If it’s bad there, it’s likely to bad everywhere. Reference monitors are nice, and give perfect reproduction, problem is: nobody has those except audiophiles and recording techs, lol, your audience has probably never even heard of them!

:)

Danny

Hey, this is awesome. such a fun song :;): really enjiyed it. I’m only listening through crappy speakers but it sounds spot on to me, as ‘dannyraymilligan’ said “the best way to test a song is listen to it in the average environment others would hear it in” and it’s coming up trumps :agree:

thanks everyone im glad you all liked it i wonder if it stands a chance of winning!
no i wasnt saying this mix sounds boomy i was saying we had a lot of problem getting a mix like this where the bass was more promenent but not boomy
i agree you have to listen to your songs on all diffrent players to get them right but it is so time consuming to do… mix down … burn it to cd… run downstairs try the hifi… run out to the car… upload it & listen
it online…try it on the kitchen portable
then decide its crap & start again!

mark we use a multiband compressor to master our stuff & its got some great settings that realy give a great sound but unfortunatley we cant hardly use them cos it does funny things to the song it keeps dropping the volume on peaks much to much so its often unusable
if we knew how to tweak it we would be soooooo happy…hint hint!! :laugh:

Quote: (bright lights tonight @ Apr. 15 2011, 10:18 AM)

mark we use a multiband compressor to master our stuff & its got some great settings that realy give a great sound but unfortunatley we cant hardly use them cos it does funny things to the song it keeps dropping the volume on peaks much to much so its often unusable
if we knew how to tweak it we would be soooooo happy...hint hint!! :laugh:

Hint taken :-)

Remember that some effects (eg compression and limiting) are not suited to just "throwing" and effect on a track and choosing a preset.

That does work with lots of effects (ef reverb) but remember that compression has a level setting (called "threshold") at which the compressor starts working. So you may put a compressor on a track and it may never kick in at all if the track never reaches the threshold.

Or worse it may kick in too much and over compress if the threshold is too far the other way>

See? That may be what you are experiencing. ? ?

Oh, and remember that a compressor's job is to make things quieter (it makes the loud bits quieter). But then you can turn it up! (Some compressors have "gain makeup" to do this automatically).

anyway....

I’ve always enjoyed this article by a guy called Jezar who used to hang out around here getting on for maybe 10 years ago(he was, or had been, involved in the pro mixing business at some point):

http://gonzoft.tripod.com/articles/a4/a4.htm

thanks for the tips & the article mark but this compreeser doesnt seem to have a threshold cntrol could you look at this picture of it as i said it gives an amazing sound to your song but as soon as a peak comes along it drops the volume way to low & the song sounds bad so instead of the volume staying the same its jumping up & down all the time…we like it cos its got no controls on it to confuse us!!

Quote: (bright lights tonight @ Apr. 15 2011, 5:25 AM)

thanks for the tips & the article mark but this compreeser doesnt seem to have a threshold cntrol could you look at this picture
of it as i said it gives an amazing sound to your song but as soon as a peak comes along it drops the volume way to low & the song sounds bad so instead of the volume staying the same its jumping up & down all the time...we like it cos its got no controls on it to confuse us!!

I like the Classic Master Limiter that someone on this forum turned me onto, Tina. I'll use it on the master channel with the compression turned almost completely off, just to prevent clipping, and then I use it on certain individual tracks to bring all the volumes into the same area, particularly vocals. It helps bring lower-volume ones up and louder ones down, so I can just set the volume at one spot and don't have to tweak my levels too much in the song.