Kore soundplayer

dropping notes?

I finished mixing my first song on this fine programme. On playback I noticed that the free NI kore player misses a couple of notes. Assuming that it was some kind of clause with the software I changed the instrument to mda piano. This made no difference. I checked the piano roll and everything seems to be fine. If I mix down to a stereo track the missing notes are still missing in the mixdown.

PS. This is my first time with studio monitors. OMG how much more difficult is mixing with these compared to my old hifi speakers, or is it just me being more fussy than I used to be…

so are the notes missing in the file or just not being played? might be a mono/poly thing is all I can figure if so.

This is a problem I have had for years now with n - I create my drum and synth parts using the piano roll, and am real happy mostly. BUT! On playback n skips notes, with Kore player, with SFZ, with pretty much all the virtual instruments. The notes are there in the piano roll, they just get skipped over in playback. Sometimes I can close the prog, open it back up, and then it will play correctly. Lately I have given up on using n to convert synth parts to audio files, and used other progs instead. I still write the parts in n, because I love the piano roll - it is so easy to use once you get the hang of it, and way nicer than most other midi editors I have used! But is is too undependable for playback and rendering…

I kinda` think its because I am using the DIGI001 interface, and it is a bit flaky. What interface are you using?

'til later
Tony W

Interesting, I’ve never paid attention to this issue. Does anyone have a MIDI file example that drops notes that they could post to the forum?

I’ve had that problem with SFZ for years. It’s so bad I can’t use SFZ. It’s a not related to the MIDI file. It could happen in any MIDI file at any time. I do not have this problem when using external MIDI synths, so I know n-Tracks is playing the MIDI info correctly. The breakdown seems to be when using virtual instruments. So far, it’s only SFZ on my machine, but I don’t use many other virtual instruments so it could be more widespread. I use BatSounds MelloSound occasionally without problems.

I have a lot less problems with this player.

Also way more control over the soundfont eq etc.

Quote: (wynot @ Jun. 15 2009, 7:54 PM)

This is a problem I have had for years now with n - I create my drum and synth parts using the piano roll, and am real happy mostly. BUT! On playback n skips notes, with Kore player, with SFZ, with pretty much all the virtual instruments. The notes are there in the piano roll, they just get skipped over in playback. Sometimes I can close the prog, open it back up, and then it will play correctly. Lately I have given up on using n to convert synth parts to audio files, and used other progs instead. I still write the parts in n, because I love the piano roll - it is so easy to use once you get the hang of it, and way nicer than most other midi editors I have used! But is is too undependable for playback and rendering...

I kinda` think its because I am using the DIGI001 interface, and it is a bit flaky. What interface are you using?

'til later
Tony W

Im using a delta 2496 card.

Im pretty new to midi programming so Ive only got one song so far but every time I play back the song it always misses the same note. I dont know if its a coincidence but the missing note is 1min into the song and at the 2nd minute it will miss again. I checked the piano roll and there doesnt seem to be a problem. I swaped the kore player to mda piano but the problem still exists so I know its an n track or midi issue and not a problem with the vsi. It really does my head in cos the single missing note leaves a big hole in the song... :angry:

I doubt its the card, for either of us. Some proggies just won’t play nice with each other… But you can use other software to convert your midi parts to wav files; I think the freeware Audacity will do it. Just use n’s file menu to export your work to a new midi file, and import it into another prog and convert away.

Good luck!

'til next;
tony