Lack of feedback response

I’ve sent two feedback requests a few weeks ago to get some help resolving my inability to install n-track on my computer. It hangs up during installation. How long should I be waiting for technical assistance? I’m even a paying customer!
Bob

Bob,

Flavio is usually excellent at replying quickly unless he is having a holiday, which he’s obviously not as he’s posted here recently.

There have been several cases in the past whereby Flavio’s return email has failed to reach the recipient due to it either being an incorrect email address or maybe being filtered by a spam filter. Check your email address or even try contacting Flavio with an alternative address.

Also, try posting you problem here. Someone here may know how to fix it.

Mark

My address is fine. I’ve received TWO acknowledgments of my feedback requests. Here is the problem:

n-Track version: 4.1.6
Operating system: Windows XP
Soundcard: Realtec AC97 audio, Digidesign Audiomedia III

I bought n-track Nov 2004 and installed it fine. Computer had to be recently cleaned up and Windows re-installed. I am not able to re-install 4.1.5 or 4.1.6 upgrades, nor do I have the older version. Once I get to the SECOND progress bar during installation, it suddenly stops halfway. The only way to get out of that freeze-up is to use the Task Manager and end process. The anti-virus software is not an issue (I use Grisoft AVG free).
Secondly, assuming I can resolve the install problem, will I be able to access my digital audio sound card Audiomedia III? I need to input a DAT recording, so that I can edit and produce a CD. I am running Service Pack 2 on XP.
Bob
207-283-1420

Video card:
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08GHz

I had exactly the same problem trying to go from 4.0.5 to 4.2 last week, although I could not even use the task manager - I had to shut down the computer by holding the power button. I have no anti virus software on my computer. It’s a P4 running XP home.

When I did finally get it installed (after shutting down completely and starting up again and trying to start up n-Track, it finished the install), it gave me the error I described there - a missing DLL file.

I can reproduce the problem on my computer, but I suspect Flavio cannot on his end.

Yeah!! I have now successfully installed 4.1.6 after using the lastest download. I’ve also changed my audio card to an m-Audio Audiophile 2496. My latest problem is how do I get the program to record my DAT’s digital input to that card?? Thanks, Bob

Gald to hear things are moving along… :)

Dunno a thing about the other question. :(

If you give me an idea of what your ins and outs are on your DAT, and your board, I should be able to tell you how to configure your cables.

Jeff

I’ve got the correct input settings and correct audio card selected. I"ve got a Sony DAT which sends a digital signal via digital coaxial cable to the digital IN of my m-audio 2496 card. Problem is that no signal is received by n-track when monitoring or recording. My whole set up worked well when I used ProTools and my Audiomedia III card in the past. So, there are 3 possibilities: 1) somehow I’m no longer able to transmit digital info through my Dat cables 2) the digital input portion of my m-audio card is defective (the analog works) and 3) n-track is somehow not able to capture the digital signal properly entering my audio card. Don’t know how to test #1 except to bring my DAT and cable to a computer shop and see if I’m able to transmit the digital info to their sound equipment.
Bob

I would add another possibility. Your m-audio software drivers may not be functioning properly. Also check to make sure you have enabled the track and that the DAT really is connected to the SPDIF inputs (not an audio input) and have selected the SPDIF in N-tracks.

Jim

Hi Tom, Mark, and Guys:
I was confronted with an install issue between builds 2037 and 2042. I don’t really know why that was… sloom had some issues at that same time. He did quite a bit of “Windows” snooping… I waited for build 2044 to get posted… Sense then I have had no install launch issues…

I’m not sure if the install exe was at fault or just what IT was…

When I see other guys posting issues regarding an inability to install a later version/build of n-Track it makes me think the issue could be a combination of this .netframwork and or both .netframwork and SP 2 or the “Sum” of everything that microsoft adds to their security updates…

I don’t know what IT is… But I have decided to install all the minute builds as Flavio has posted them…

My thinking is this… The builds may not be perfect and could have some code errors and all… But there is few-if-any install/upgrade errors or no major “Hangs” to overcome…

Recentlly, I’ve been playing with Streamlining Windows for DAW applications… The verdict is still out as to weather those changes to this machine is working better as a result of useing that system for this setup. Some items work much better but some of these ideas are suggesting that I need to come up with other work-arounds for my applications…

I’ve heard some guys… as well as Mark… say that one has to have dedicated machines for specific computer applications…

So, is an All-Around machine for computer applications possible? OR Can one computer Do-It-All?

Bill…

One thing I can add is that I didn’t install SP2- I stopped at Service Pack 1. I think I remember there being some small issue with SP2 (in general- not an n-Track problem per se), and SP1 is adequate for audio application use. A sound rule appears to be: Stop adding stuff when you can!

I don’t dig the .net installer thing, because it doesn’t enhance anything that pertains to sound recording, etc. At least, I haven’t heard of any great boon it is affording anyone. This subject has been covered, in part anyway.

I would also chime in that all the feature-enrichment is worthless in the face of inability to effectively use the features. And the problems along this line appear widespread and commonplace enough to warrant such a statement as this. I’ll say that for someone like me who doesn’t have an abundance of time for music-production type work, this kind of thing is unacceptable.

Of course nothing is perfect! There is trouble with anything that you expect to get results from on a regular basis. But some of the complaints here are doozies. And it all comes down to the reliablility and sturdiness of the program.

Flavio, my man: Give us stability! Then we can load the cart!

It occurs to me that perhaps Flavio is hip to all this, but it’s possible that the wheel is not yet squeaking loudly enough.

EDIT: This should have been on another post- hope I don’t digress too bad here!

Hi sloom and All:
I don’t know a lot about all this but I’m gonna say what I think is happening to our DAWs and how we use them… right-or-wrong…
Non of us has exactlly the same set-up except that we all have n-Track installed on our machines and that we all use the same operating sysytem… well, most of us… But we all have to comply with Microsoft and what we download from Microsoft and what we get from Flavio… or whatever we use as an Editor…

If I remember way back when… We all installed (build 1516) into our systems… We seemed quite happy with our DAWs… '98SE and XP and were chugging along and being smart-and-all… doing our music… Well… most of us…

Then, whenever it was… Microsoft introduced these Service packs and .Netframwork and we began to complain about different and other things that was happening to/with our set-ups… as we jumped onto the Band-Wagon…

Then at some point-in-time we couldn’t install new versions of n-Track until we complied with the process of aligning our machines to Microsoft…

Now… I’m gonna say this…

We are all hurting in some way to how our machines have to be config’d to get our DAWs to behave… Most of us are haveing vairing degrees of how our machines are responding to what we have to do to get our machines to behave in this new inviroment…

For me, I now have this WMP v10 installed on my machine… I never installed IT and I was quite satisifed with WMP v9 and that series… IT seems to me that, this is when I began to have the issues, I have, with my set-ups…

Now, here’s what I think is happening to us… Someone set this straight for me…

We as user’s have to contend with two things… First… the Service Packs and… Secondly . the Netframwork stuff… The programmer’s have to contend with the same issues…

I think IT’s Microsoft’s way of tell us our owner-ship of our set-ups… and… if we don’t all get “Lined up” including the users and programmers, we ain’t gonna rise above this…

I think the application writers have to toe-the-mark with .Netframwork and installer packs… The users have to toe the mark with Security and Service Packs, including .Netframwork and all the programer’s issues…

We aren’t single’d out… Placing the blame on any one thing isn’t gonna “fix” this… Not one of us has exactly the same DAW as the rest of us… including the way we have config’d them… So, how are we all gonna know what issues each of us, have… ?? The only way to get around that is to … we all have “Turn-Key” systems… Then, we don’t have to comply with Microsoft… Then, we are limited as to how we interact with each other… or, how compliant we are with eachother’s DAW’s… and Studios.

One thing that I observe is… I’m not so bothered with virus issues… and the people I interact with is somewhat interested in what I’m producing here, and interacting with my setup… If I produced IT on tape, that was different… and most of them seem to know what n-Track is, now… IT was and still is, a Long Haul and Uphill Journey…

Some of the issues with what I do, is being able to transport files and being compliant with file extensions… and getting the 'Turn Key" systems to recoginize my files… The Turn-Key Guys are slowly beginning to see that there is some merrit in moving beyond their “Shells”…

So… Haveing ranted on with this reply, I’d say “These Stability Issues” are not all in Flavio’s “Ball Park”. Somehow, we got to get Microsoft to turn their heads in the direction of DAW applications, and take a peek at what’s going on with DAWs…

That’s what I think.

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

think I remember there being some small issue with SP2 (in general- not an n-Track problem per se), and SP1 is adequate for audio application use.

There was a firewire issue somewhere along the way. Without a particular fix from hercules my interface will barely work with SP2 - SP1 is fine.

This is maybe not a new question, please bear with me- but is all this “stability” talk fairly new? Has it gotten worse?

If so, maybe it’s true that the source of this trouble is MS? The complaining about .NET Framework is kind of landmark, in that it’s a new OS requirement, right? For what it’s worth in it’s own right, it appears to be a transition, and that kind of thing (change!) across the board is always a general stability problem for everyone.

I think (um, for what it’s worth coming from my own un-techie self) that Bill’s on it. Just my surmising- from the general conversation I’ve listened in on.

<!–QuoteBegin>

If so, maybe it’s true that the source of this trouble is MS? The complaining about .NET Framework is kind of landmark, in that it’s a new OS requirement, right? For what it’s worth in it’s own right, it appears to be a transition, and that kind of thing (change!) across the board is always a general stability problem for everyone.

Well the .net framework has been around for a number of years now and many many applications have been written using it. I guess there may be a learning curve for Flavio but in my experience most Windows programmers don’t have much trouble in getting to grips with it.

I suspect that Flavio’s biggest challenge is maintaining bits of his code that may well go back to V1 or 2 of n-track and also having to work with 3rd party APIs and driver interfaces.

I think that the stability issue comes and goes. It is a dog-and-cat-and-mouse game between Flavio. Microsoft and hardware makers. Every time anyone changes anything there is an opportunity for problems to occur but also a chance that things will get better. I suspect that the reason Flavio went to .Net was that it will simplify adapting to Vista.

I was talking to someone at work who works on our Windows software for our PC-based headsets and he mentioned that Windows Vista will have a complete reworking of how it handles audio natively (although it will support legacy approaches). I understand that the changes are intended to improve the way Windows handles audio but there will probably be a period of adjustment as everyone adapts to the change.

I would not avoid SP2 by the way, if you want to use your computer for other purposes I would do all the critical updates as well. In general I would suggest that for maximum stability you keep the operating system close to the vintage of the programs you use. In other words try to maintain the original operating environment. Using the latest builds on an old version of the operating system may be problematic. Certainly Flavio will be concentrating most on trying to insure that the latest version works with the version of Windows that most people use. This will almost certainly be a relatively up-to-date version of XP.

It is my understanding that the .NET framework is essentially a programming environment that provides pre-written modules that interact with the operating system and various things Microsoft. It simplifies the way that the program (and possibly the drivers) interact with the operating system and takes the burden of maintaining some of that code out of the developer’s hands and puts it into Microsoft’s. That way Microsoft can make a change in the low-level stuff without “breaking” your code (of course that would require updates to .NET to get the “advantage”). It may be a good thing.

Jim

Hi Again:
I’ve turned off that automatic Windows Update… But now I’m getting these DEP errors… Is that what they’re called? Well…

Anyway, I have explored the HELP files as to how to eliminate the screens but I haven’t done anything about them…

I have a feeling that the Virtual Ram is not set correctly, for this machine… ???? AND I only have 512 meg. of “slow acting” ram, anyway… So, I’m stuck… Big Time… With this P-111…

I’m not so sure that "Streamlining XP for audio is a good thing… If I could find which parts of the config. has sped up my P-111 I’d revert back to allowing Windows to control the config of this machine… Mabey, the best way to find out is… To play with the items One-at-a-time… over a period of a few weeks to Pick and Choose the ones that best fit this machine that they are being applied to…

I only threw out that post to see what replies woud come back… as to Microsoft and Programmers and Users how they all interact with each other…

I know so little about “This”…

Do you all remember? The competition between the Bata and VHS video recorder? The majority of people bought into the VHS system… and away went the Bata machines… Now… Where are they? The DVD disk took over the market place… For the Audio People the choice is Bill Gates or Mac/Apple… Where will these systems be in another generation? And… what will IT be after these boxes are all in the landfill sites?

Bill…

Quote (woxnerw @ April 03 2006,16:36)
Do you all remember? The competition between the Bata and VHS video recorder? The majority of people bought into the VHS system… and away went the Bata machines… Now… Where are they? The DVD disk took over the market place… For the Audio People the choice is Bill Gates or Mac/Apple… Where will these systems be in another generation? And… what will IT be after these boxes are all in the landfill sites?

It will always be either Microsoft or Mac… unless Unix/Linux really picks up for the desktop market - and I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Thing is, both platforms have their problems. Macs can be chuggy at the best of times and they are now having problems with their new, Intel based machines. Also, I have played with Garage Band - the only thing Mac has that is comparable to n-Track - and it is horrid.

As well, .NET is not a requirement of Windows. It’s a runtime environment like Java. You don’t, by any means have to code with it to make Windows applications. If you did, then there would be a tonne of cheesed off companies out there who would have to re-code all of their flagship products to run on Windows.

I really don’t know what MS was thinking with .NET. Existing progamming languages work fine under Windows, why in tarnation dod they decide to come up with a runtime environment? Java is cross platform … .NET is not.

It makes little sense. Then again, I have never really dove into the mysteries of .NET. maybe I’m missing something. Wouldn’t be the first time :;):

.NET makes easy coding some things that can very complex to get right (and sometimes to even get started) in Win32 (C or C++). I was able to whip out an (pretty complex) app in minutes using .NET that would have taken a few hours at least (if I was lucky) otherwise. It handles all memory allocation so the app doesn’t have to bother at all. That feature causes it to seem like it may be leaking memory when compared to other non.NET apps but it’s not other apps. Memory if marked as freed but not actually freed unlit later for performance reasons, like when there is little other processing going on. It’s a good thing but not appropriate for all uses.