Lag problems...PLEEEEEEASE help!

I’m not sure what happens here but maybe someone can help me too.

When I have imported .wav files so that I can record with them, for the pitch to be correct, I have to change the preference settings to 44100Hz sampling frequency - 48000Hz makes the track sound a tone sharp and also plays the track faster. However, when I record in this frequency alongside it, the fresh track speeds up on playback.
I have input a drums track before at 44100Hz and then changed the sampling frequency to 48000Hz to play along to it and this has been perfect.
Does anyone know how I can import .wav files at 48000Hz to sound at the correct pitch and speed?

Many thanks ???

<!–QuoteBegin>

When I have imported .wav files so that I can record with them, for the pitch to be correct, I have to change the preference settings to 44100Hz sampling frequency - 48000Hz makes the track sound a tone sharp and also plays the track faster. However, when I record in this frequency alongside it, the fresh track speeds up on playback.
I have input a drums track before at 44100Hz and then changed the sampling frequency to 48000Hz to play along to it and this has been perfect.
Does anyone know how I can import .wav files at 48000Hz to sound at the correct pitch and speed?

All the files (wavs) in a project need to be at the same sample rate (in your case 44.1kHz or 48kHz) otherwise, as you’ve worked out, they playback incorrectly.

IIRC n-Track does prompt you to ask if you want to convert the tracks to the new sample rate. You don’t mention that. Have you tried it?

I tend to use R8brain to convert sample rates if I need to do so.

If you have an SB Live or Audigy you may find that you have to work at 48kHz or you get sync problems between consecutive tracks (caused by the internal workings of the cards). If you are not using one of these cards, record at 44.1kHz as it saves dithering and conversion before burning onto CD (which require 44.1kHz, 16bit files). In theory 48kHz is slightly better quality than 44.1kHz but I wouldn’t worry about that right now.

HTH

Mark

Just to add to Mark’s excellent reply… you CAN have wav files of different bit depths in a project i.e. your tracks are 16 bit but your buddy in Southern Siam emailed his tracks to you in 24 bit format. The only killer is mixed sample rates. They will obviously play back at different “speeds”.

If I recall correctly, n-Track WILL popup a warning if you attempt to load wavs with differing sample rates. There may be an option to enable/disable that in prefs… I dunno… ???

D

<!–QuoteBegin>

Southern Siam

Hey, you know that guy too?

tspringer, somehow I missed your post earlier.

That dskbench output looks healthy. Don’t be mislead into thinking you can actually handle 70 or so 16/44 tracks; that program doesn’t measure everything that counts. But I don’t think this is a problem with your disk drive.

Sometimes dropouts aren’t very obvious because you just get “old data” (for a pretty tiny time slice) and if the track has a lot of the same sound on it, all you hear is a click. On vocal and drum tracks you often don’t hear it at all (i.e., it happens between phrases or beats).

I think that what’s happening is that some program or driver is grabbing the processor and holding it too long. You may need to go on a witch hunt and kill everything that isn’t absolutely necessary. I don’t know the details here; there are a few websites that talk about “tuning XP for audio” and such.

Or you can try increasing buffering (maybe you did already). Generally, it’s the recording buffers that are critical here. (Playback buffers add to latency, and too few can cause you to hear dropouts, but they happen at different places in the playback and don’t affect what’s recorded.)

Thanks Mark A for your advice. I will try r8brain. I am using the Creative SB soundcard. When I try to record at 44100 on playback the freshly recorded track speeds up. A pop-up does come on screen to warn you if you change the sampling frequency. When you do, the pitch changes anyway and I’m not very good at transposing (on a fiddle). The only way of preventing the speeding up of recording new tracks seems to be to record on 48000.
In the meantime I will try r*brain.

Thanks again :)

LearJeff – Wow am I impressed that you picked this thread up again. Thanks for looking over my disk drive performance stats.

I have been able to solve the problem with dropouts by increasing buffer sizes. Probably need to tweak the record buffers some more though. Still seems like throughput out to be better. I’ve applied most of the tweaks for XP that are given on the various websites that are out there…

I’ve always been suspicious that the ASIO/WMD drivers that came with my M-audio audiophile USB interface were really inefficient. I was just about ready to try the ASIO4ALL driver to see if that would help, when lo and behold, M-audio comes out with a complete rewrite of the drivers for audiophile interface. My opinion of M-audio just went up a notch, cause they haven’t been selling this inerface for a couple of years. That is real customer support. Now if I can just get time to do a little recording… maybe the new driver will cut down on the need to buffer so heavily.

By the way, build 2089 has been extremely stable on my system. I’ve never had a single crash, and in this build Flavio fixed several bugs that had been bugging me. I’m lovin it.

Quote (learjeff @ April 08 2006,09:11)
Spartacus, the "Advanced" button has been there since V3.0. Are you using V2.xx?

This is version 2.0. I can't upgrade because I tried doing that once and it messed up all my songs.

<!–QuoteBegin>

This is version 2.0. I can’t upgrade because I tried doing that once and it messed up all my songs.

Yeah, IIRC there were some weird things going on around that time. I think you’d be wise to consider biting the bullet and upgrading though. You are a long way behind now and the problems were not insurmountable, just a PITA.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that the new version can coexist alongside older versions now which may mean you can still work with your old files while moving on to a better supported version.

Jim

Nope, V3 and V4 don’t get along at all. Dunno about V2 and V3.

Quote (Mark A @ May 11 2006,03:33)
This is version 2.0. I can't upgrade because I tried doing that once and it messed up all my songs.

Yeah, IIRC there were some weird things going on around that time. I think you'd be wise to consider biting the bullet and upgrading though. You are a long way behind now and the problems were not insurmountable, just a PITA.
I tried a demo of the latest version once and I had the same lag problems. :(

Have you used the NVidia unified drivers to update your video or anything else? Or did an automatic update without checking what was updated? It may be that your drivers were changed in what seemed to be an unrelated update.

I don’t know what happened but my NVidia on-board sound stopped working altogether a while back and I had to buy a new soundcard because I wasn’t able to figure out what was happening. This wasn’t my DAW so it was no big deal, but it was a PITA anyway. Anyway, the cost of the soundcard was far less than my time was worth to figure it out.

Jim