Lagging Overdubs

Trying to do a harmony track

I’ve been engineering for about ten years in the analog world so I am well familiarized with the “ins and outs” of signal flow. My problem is with this computer and/or this software. I just got the software registered and i’m recording my first tune. First Track and various flub edits went great. Now I’m trying to do a harmony line overdub over a 12 second noodley solo bit on a second track. The bit happens 3 times over a four miniute song. I get my headphone mix right for overdubs, get my new track record ready and play perfectly in time. Upon playback I notice that the overdub comes in at exactly the right time. As it goes on the sync becomes slowly more and more out of wak. The overdub becomes more and more delayed from the original track. Whats funny is that they start at the same time. It is as if the overdub has been recorded at a different f.p.s. than the original track. In a four miniute the delay can be about 1 second by the end. I tried doing some settings tinkering that I found in the forum but nothing seems to have fixed the problem totally. Please help?

What soundcard are you using?
If using an SB Live, it sounds like it could be the 48Khz issue… Make sure you have your sample rate set to 48Khz as that is what the SBLive works at internally and any other sample rate it has to resample on the fly which can cause drift in sync.

Also make sure you have your soundcard clock (timer) set in the preferences (not the system timer).

Ummm that’s all I can think of at the moment…

Rich

Quote (RichLum @ June 27 2006,02:27)
Also make sure you have your soundcard clock (timer) set in the preferences (not the system timer).

Just to clarify Richlums point, untick both the system timer boxes under prefs/settings/options.

Also, try alternative drivers under prefs/settings/recording settings/audio devices button. Try both wdm and asio, or mme as a last resort. If that doesn't work, update your soundcard drivers and try it all again.

Also, check your own soundcard's control panel to see what your sample rate is set at (ie should be the same as in your n track settings).

Thanks guys. Problem solved. Its always nice when advice works. Thank god there is a wealth of experienced engineer/musician/computer guys on this board. Only one problem though. My cuts and splices didn’t line up with the new time line so the end times of the wave files were now different that edit points. Who cares! I’ll re-track them. That’s half the fun anyway. Just happy the thing is working well. I’m having so much fun sitting in a bedroom playing guitar all night again. It reminds me of being a kid. The wife is pissed though.

I do have one question. My sound card is a Sound Blaster Audigy SE. It says on the box 24-bit/96kHz. Should I be using the 96kHz setting? I was under the impression that it is all getting converted to 44.1K for CD’s anyway so why risk loosing 1’s and 0’s in the conversion. I was always taught to record/mix compensate for the end user media. Are all sample rate converters are the same? Thanks again!

–Matt

Quote (ARviaAZ @ June 28 2006,02:10)
I do have one question. My sound card is a Sound Blaster Audigy SE. It says on the box 24-bit/96kHz. Should I be using the 96kHz setting? I was under the impression that it is all getting converted to 44.1K for CD's anyway so why risk loosing 1's and 0's in the conversion. I was always taught to record/mix compensate for the end user media. Are all sample rate converters are the same? Thanks again!

96KHz is the max sample rate supported by the card, and no you don't have to use it. You are right about CDs -I record all my stuff at 24/44.1 (converting to 16bit at the mastering stage).

Whether you gain much by recording at the higher sampling rate and then sampling down, well thats one the those debatable issues.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are a bat :D

So, which one worked, changing the drivers, changing the system timer, or changing the sample rate?

Curious minds want to know

Oh, yes, I’m on board with pissing the wife off: “When are you going to stop messing around with that?”