LAPTOP Audio Interfaces

M-Audio, PreSonus, E-MU

What laptop audio interfaces are compatible with N-track. I’m thinking of buying one of the following

PreSonus FIREBOX 24-bit/96kHz FireWire Recording System

Firewire should be better than USB. I have a recent Toshiba Satellite A60 with 2.8GHz Celeron and 1GB RAM. I first tried an M-Audio Audiophile USB but that proved unreliable, I believe because it needed 100% of the USB specified power and data throughput and many laptops don’t provide 100%. I now use a Tascam US-122 which works OK, except for a known bug whereby you can’t put the laptop into standyby mode. I also tried a Novation SpeedIO, which didn’t work well at all; mouse operation of all controls in n-T was slow and jerky. The man in the shop said that the Novation doesn’t like graphics that use shared mamory. Anyway, using firewire should avoid all that. Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Cheers
TB

Depends on if you want it powered from the laptop or if you’re happy to go with a wall wart.

I’m using a Motu 828mkII on a Gateway laptop with a Glyph firewire drive. Zero problems.

Nice thing about the 828 is that it can be used as a stand-alone mixer >without< the computer (if you’re ever thinking of gigging).