Latest toys

Do toys for your kids count? I picked up a Presonus FireBox last month. It absolutely WILL NOT work with my Compaq laptop. It does work great with my Dell lappy from work. Anywho… I gave it to my son to use with his PC and I took over his Tascam US-122 to travel with my my laptop.

The FireBox works great and sounds great too. Nice piece if gear. It just won’t work with my Compaq. (Chipset issue I think…)

D

GPO is probably the best computer based tool I have purchased aside from N and SoundForge. I use that thing for everything. You’ll find GPO samples all over the place in my tunes. The Jazz set has been talking to me lately. Eh, the tax man taketh this year… so it will be awhile until any new toys,

OH…I just remembered…I just got a nice leather guitar strap and a package of Elixr 12 strings. Not that exciting, but they still cost me $70 :(

That must be a nice strap!!! :D

I just got a Crate Powerblock to replace my ancient Music Man tube amp head - and it also replaces my broken (one channel out) power amp for monitoring in the studio! Talk about making $200(US) go a long way! While it is adequate as a studio montor amp (a little too much distortion when you get more than moderately loud), it is great as a guitar amp. And with 150watts in mono mode, I can finally hear myself over the drummer! If anyone is looking for a new amp head on a budget, the Crate just rolls!

'til next time;
tony w

Quote (Diogenes @ April 20 2006,11:07)
The FireBox works great and sounds great too. Nice piece if gear. It just won't work with my Compaq. (Chipset issue I think...)

D

I had problems with mine on my HP media center. Took me three days to get it going. Realtek AC 97 chipset.

For me it appeared to be driver installation issues and the presonus drivers not being fully enabled in my device manager.

Ended up disabling the Realtek AC 97, re-installing Firebox drivers, manually enabling the device through the device manager, then re-enabling the AC 97 devices.

Works like a charm will happily purchase another Presonus product. The frustration was worth it.

Thanks StuH. I tried all the stuff you mentioned and all the tips Presonus tech support could come up with to no avail. Since this Compaq lappy is fairly new and it is really intended for work usage on the “side” job… it’s not a big deal. The FireBox is perfect for my son to use and it has better audio specs than the Tascam US-122 I “traded” him for. All is well. I would recommend the Presonus also… just make sure you don’t have any weird chipset/mobo issues before the return period expires.

D

I gotta motif 6. With that thing u dont need to hire musicians, all sounds are incredible.

Not bought anything yet, but I’m taking a REALLY serious look at a Gretsch 6120 DSW. Dynasonics, baby !

Does a tank of gas and a loaf of bread count?

Quote (phoo @ April 21 2006,20:12)

Absolutely! These days that's a major expenditure! Did you get a good interest rate? :D

D

<!–QuoteBegin>

Quote (phoo @ April 21 2006,20:12)

Absolutely! These days that’s a major expenditure! Did you get a good interest rate? :D

D

I can hear a song in there… somewhere…

And someone whistle’n DIXIE in harmony…

I’m not gonna care after tomorrow night, anyway… I’m winn’in that Super Seven Draw…

Then I ain’t gonna care… what the fuel goes to… sittin on the beach watchin the sun go down… :O :p

I tore a piece of flannel off my old bed sheet and bought a can of polish… I’m cleaning all the old songs offa my bass… I’m starting all over, again… :p :)

n-Trackers… they’re all a bunch of smart a***s…

Bill…
Quote (Scythe @ April 20 2006,08:47)
I got a -90 Fender Strat (USA). It's made my playing so much more fun and easy! Goddammit I love my guitars. Next thing I'm going to get is a good (budget) steel-string semiacoustic. Any of you got good experiences of specific brand/model?

Alvarez. I don't know the specific model, but it's a Dreadnought-type. This one had a big hole smashed into the side of it (it wasn't me!), and I took it to an upstart guitar shop owner, who did repairs. He was relativley new at it, but a clever dude, and he fixed it with some guitar-scraps and a bunch of Cyanoacrylate (Krazy-Glue). The thing sounds great, not even for a cripple!

Anyway, good guitar.
Quote (Bubbagump @ April 20 2006,10:34)
Done picked up a Japanese J-Bass a week or so back. Me likes it!

Niiiiice...

I second the call on Alvarez. I’ve got an AD60SC. It’s got nice action, tone, electronics. Great looks. I’ve had it for about a year and a half and it’s a keeper. I’ve received lots of compliments on its sound and looks. It cost me about $225 used.

here’s one going on eBay right now

Recently got a second AT871-R “boundary mic” (ebay) for stereo drum OH. Had to have cymbal sizzle R&L! Now I have to make another shock-mount.

AND a SCSI cable (ebay) so I can back-up to CD-R from the Tascam 788. Now that’s exciting.

ebay’s allright, if you don’t like what you got you can just “rebay” it. :;):

Wide Screen Blazing Saddles DVD for $7 at Fred Meyer…I’m in hog heaven!! :)

Quote (phoo @ April 24 2006,15:02)
Wide Screen Blazing Saddles DVD for $7 at Fred Meyer....I'm in hog heaven!! :)

Obviously phoo is a man with his priorities in order. :)

D -- Big time Mel Brooks fan...

Picked this up for my wife…

It’s a Cort solidtop, short scale, jumbo acoustic bass w/pickup. I fret leveled and dressed it and replaced the strings with bronze. Decent volume acoustically and nice tone through an amp.

Quote (phoo @ April 24 2006,15:02)
Wide Screen Blazing Saddles DVD for $7 at Fred Meyer…I’m in hog heaven!! :)

What in the wide wide world of sports is a goin on here?!?!

We’d like to extend a laurel and hardy handshake…

'Bout lost a four hunnert dollar hand cart…

Bart, you musn’t… Oh, I must, I must.

A toll booth! Someone go back to town and get a shit load of dimes!

No sidewinder, bushwhacking, hornswoggling cracker croacker is going to ruin my biscuit cutter.

We’re all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, but it expressed a courage that is little seen in this day and age.

So many great lines that I can’t repeat.

We can start on my REAL number one favorite movie later…Young Frankenstein. Yes, I do have my priorities.

Walk this way… :)