Learning to think like a drummer

I’ve spent quite a bit of time lately working on my own midi drum patterns, trying to get away from relying so much on Band-in-a-Box and other drum libraries I have. (They never seem to have exactly what I’m looking for, anyway.) I can’t say I’ve gotten good at it, but I am improving. I haven’t posted anything here in a couple of weeks, so I thought I’d put this up for comment. It’s not a finished work, just a little acoustic thing with bass and drums. Maybe I’ll develop it further when I get the time, or maybe it’s just a learning experience. Comments, suggestions, critiques on my approach definitely welcome.

Swiper’s Waltz

nice little theme development there Kevin. I hear it going into a nice slow 6/8 feel for a bit then back to the waltz. Nice stuff. Cymbal crash needs a level tweak down on my sys or eq thinning.

Quote:

Cymbal crash needs a level tweak down on my sys or eq thinning.

Yeah, I thought that might be a little louder than necessary.

Yep, cymbal kinda sucks!

But I love the tempo, the off beat, and the tune, you need to take this to another level bud. Good Stuff! :agree:

6th listen on this and Kevin you gotta finish this one dude!

Quote:

6th listen on this and Kevin you gotta finish this one dude!

Guess that settles it, but it won't be this weekend. Maybe over the course of my workweek inspiration will hit.

If you wanna learn to think like a drummer. Just think about yourself and women. All the time :laugh:

Dear Phoo and Bubb’maker. Just kiddin! lol

I thought like a drummer once. It’s the only time I have EVER locked my keys in the car! :p

JOKING, JOKING… glad they can’t throw sticks across the webber-net! :laugh:

D

Based on the last two posts, I’m assuming drummers are known to lack a sense of humor. (That, or you guys are just scared of people who spend their time looking for something to beat on.) :laugh:

Quote: (kevinmyers @ Feb. 28 2009, 9:44 PM)

Based on the last two posts, I'm assuming drummers are known to lack a sense of humor. (That, or you guys are just scared of people who spend their time looking for something to beat on.) :laugh:

You bet!

The other day we were rearranging the stage at church. When we got to the drum booth, it looked like a saw-mill in there!

D