Lend me your ears

As studio construction seems to be a far great time involvement than I ever imagined, I have a make shift setup in my family room. This is working more or less except that I can’t hear things as the room isn’t treated etc and I am paranoid my mixes are junk. Here is one of the latest Punch the Monkey tracks. Take a listen and let me know how it is sitting.

http://warsaw.innova-partners.com/~cburke…est.mp3

The bass is huge, but it doesn’t interfere with the other elements. It all has a very “live” feel to it. If there’s a problem with the mix, it’s beyond my meager abilities to hear it. Exceptional musicianship from everyone. I especially loved the “fiddle” playing.
:agree:

Bass is what I am most concerned about as in my current setup I am certain I am not judging it well.

Bass sounds nice to be - both on speakers and headphones. Can’t hear enough resin dust falling on the fiddle though.

Here’s another one:

http://warsaw.innova-partners.com/~cburke…row.mp3

Plenty of resin fallin’ there - perfect!
Kick is right on for my taste.
Did the bass player miss a 5 on that break?

Hmmm, I don’t know Bubba, bass maybe a little too powerful on my JBL’s. 1st tune more than 2nd.

Good tunes and playin’ tho! :agree:

Playin the second version, mix sounds great bubba

Second version? They are two different songs.

I’m with Zay… bass is a touch to “up” on the first tune. BOth sound pretty doggone awesome though! :agree:

D

Yeah, the mix on the second song is probably closer to what you’re looking for. The kick and the bass are working good together. On the first one, the whole drum kit sounds back in the mix compared to the bass.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Jan. 25 2009, 6:11 PM)

Second version? They are two different songs.

Ok then, use the mix from the second song. :laugh: Sorry buddy I'm in the mists of a jungle.
But will give you further opinions in a few mins.

Sorry bubba I got shanghaied. I’d like to have a better listen and will if the links are still good tomorrow.

Awesome!

lyrics are awesome

the fiddle is awesome
the vocals are awesome
the bass is awesome
the drums are awesome
the feel is awesome
the mood is awesome
the energy is awesome
the production is awesome
the ending is awesome

This is right up me street…(you might’ve guessed… :p) that I think…

the song is AWESOME!
:agree:

Ange x

Hey Bubba,
Where did you find the Cajuns up there in Ohiee?
Remember when reading Ange’s review that she’s probably listening though her motorcycle’s seekers! That girl never sits still!
No seriously, Ange pretty much told you exactly what I heard! Except you know that she means alley. :laugh:

No Cajuns… A Scot and a bunch of regular old mid western white folks. Otherwise, glad you guys like it… we have another dozen or so tunes in the same vein coming off the presses in the next months. HOPEFULLY, by then my idiot scheme to do 80% of the studio construction myself will be done and I can get good mixes in the big room.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Jan. 26 2009, 11:51 AM)

No Cajuns... A Scot and a bunch of regular old mid western white folks. Otherwise, glad you guys like it... we have another dozen or so tunes in the same vein coming off the presses in the next months. HOPEFULLY, by then my idiot scheme to do 80% of the studio construction myself will be done and I can get good mixes in the big room.

Those guys are great! You should do all the weiring and design. But can't you find a couple musician/builders who need a little studio time?
Quote:

You should do all the weiring and design.

Dam Bubba... I thought you were building a studio... not a dam? :laugh:

D

Dubie u r trouble. Bubba’s totally used to my typing, spelling, foggy glass’e etc. :laugh: