Lennon the Musical

Lennon

Wonder if it’s any good?

I only hope it’s a celebration of his music, and not a trivialisation of his life.

Ali

The NY Times apparently said it was bad. I’d probably like it though.

Did any see the movie “Back Beat”? It’s about the Beatles before they were famous & it’s great!

Haven’t seen it Mike, but I have read (repeatedly) Phillip Norman’s Shout, a biography of the band.

Some critics have accused the book of being “slanted”, but all concede it’s accurate in its details, and I find it a fascinating story and would recommend it to anyone.

Ali

Back Beat is a must see for any Beatles fan.

I read Lennon which I thought was pretty good.

Yeah, Mike.

If it is the Lennon book by Ray Coleman, it was pretty good.

It it was the one by Albert Goldman, send it to me. I am out of toilet paper.

REcently recorded a show off one of the movie channels. I believe it was called “John and Yoko: A Year of Peace”

It is a good documentary with great footage of the Toronto bed-in and the festival that never happened. Check it out if you can.

dave

<!–QuoteBegin>

If it is the Lennon book by Ray Coleman, it was pretty good.

It was this one.

I was recently having a discussion with two work-mates who don’t like the Beatles & don’t believe that they will stand the test of time. I, of course, disagree but my question is: how would one measure it, today or in the future? Album sales, media, or what?

Or will the Beatles fade from popular thought when all the “hippies” are gone?

That Albert Goldman book was hogwash, or Lennon was really good at hiding his reality from any known part of the universe that other people were in.

Mike,

Rent the McCartney in Red Square video.

It has documentary footage of Paul meeting with Gorbachev, Putin, and tons of fans and historians. (plus great concert footage)

We thought the impact of the Beatles lives and music was strong in the Western world. The social impact in the USSR was far more significant.

I cannot prove their lasting value and popularity centuries from now…but I can say that I love their music as much now as I did in the 60s,70s, 80s,90s…

dave

Quote (Mr Soul @ Aug. 19 2005,19:02)
I was recently having a discussion with two work-mates who don't like the Beatles & don't believe that they will stand the test of time. I, of course, disagree but my question is: how would one measure it, today or in the future? Album sales, media, or what?

Or will the Beatles fade from popular thought when all the "hippies" are gone?

Hard to tell if they will stand the test of time. Wonder if anyone asked the same question when Beethoven and Bach were alive? I wonder who will be the "modern" equivalent of the Great composers. Will someone be listening to Pink Floyd in 200 years time? Who are the most likely people to have that long lasting influence?
I know one thing. Lennon was one of only 2 "celebrities" that I shed a tear for. The other was Stuart Adamson of Big Country. The next would be Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull, but the bugger is likely to hang on longer than me :)
Ian

Al Franken has mentioned the impact of the Beatles in the old USSR several times on his show (in a political context of course - the Beatles having more to do with breaking up the USSR than Reagan).

What happened to Stuart Adamson? Don’t tell me he ODed. I always liked his voice alot but that band only seemed to have that 1 song (as far as I can remember).

Quote (Mr Soul @ Aug. 22 2005,11:11)
What happened to Stuart Adamson? Don't tell me he ODed. I always liked his voice alot but that band only seemed to have that 1 song (as far as I can remember).

Stuart hung himself from a wardrobe rail in a motel in the U.S. He had a long time drink problem and couldn't handle it when Big Country's popularity waned. Shame because the live following they had was the most passionate and loyal I ever saw for a live Band. They had a string of hits in the UK and the Albums were superb, but they never made it in the USA. Try " Buffalo Skinners" or "Peace in our time" Stuart Adamson was one of my favourite songwriters of all time.
Strange coincidence as this is addressed to you Mike! The last song I ever saw Stuart perform live was an encore at a gig in the UK, the song was Neil Youngs' " Out of the blue"

Btw, Beefy Steve was with me at that gig!

Take care guys. such a shame when our heroes start to disappear.
Ian