Les Paul Samples

a mere 60 gig!

<!–QuoteBegin>

Prominy
LPC Electric Clean Guitar

Format: Kontakt2
Data size (after extracting): 60GB
Media: 6 DVD-ROM (dual-layer DVD-ROM x 5 + single-layer DVD-ROM x 1)
44kHz/16bit

Sensitive and powerful, the true sound of Gibson® Les PaulTM Custom includes
over 60 Giga-bytes, approx. 150,000 samples.

‘LPC Electric Clean Guitar’ is the clean only version of the full LPC Electric Distortion & Clean Guitar.
(Also ‘LPC Electric Distortion Guitar’ is the distortion only version of the full LPC Electric Distortion & Clean Guitar.)

I can’t wait till the 24 bit, 96K version comes out! :laugh:

A 60 Gig sample set? Are we getting a wee bit silly now? I suppose I could convert the samples to an SF2, buy another 179 Audigy’s and try running them in parallel. :)

Hey! Just had a thought. Why not learn to play guitar, and create your guitar track by just recording the audio!

Or am I being stoopid? :(

I don’t think I’ could be stuffed trying to browse through that many samples to find the one I like best for a particular situation…
Or is this like a really big soundfont and Kontakt automatically chooses the sample/s to use based on pitch/ velocity etc.?

Either way, seems like a lot of HD space just for a clean guitar sound…
Clean guitar sounds aren’t that hard to get nice (with a real guitar)…

What year LP did they use for the samples?
Anyone that is going to get a 60G sample set would probably want to know what year model LP it was, what strings were use, pick, leads. amp etc. :)

I feel sorry for the poor jerks who had to record and edit the mess…

Quote (RichLum @ Dec. 13 2005,20:28)
Or is this like a really big soundfont and Kontakt automatically chooses the sample/s to use based on pitch/ velocity etc.?

Probably. And nothing is looped, every note is sampled... probably You'd get several soundbanks with different pickup/control settings, too. Maybe even different amps/amp settings. Althought that's not necessarily a good idea: You'd get more natural sound by running DI'd guitar samples through a good amp modeler than using, say distorted single note samples as themselves. Amps react differently to chords than single notes, so several distorted single notes sound considerably different than a distorted chord.

Incroyable.

:)

Hey Tom, I’m dissapointed.

I was waiting for you to make a comment down the line of ‘why would anyone want an LP sound to start off with’ …

:p :D :p

<!–QuoteBegin>

Hey! Just had a thought. Why not learn to play guitar, and create your guitar track by just recording the audio!

That’s the way you do it… play the guitar on the MTV…

TG :p

<!–QuoteBegin>

That is sooooo old skool Ali…

It’s all computers these days man…

<!–QuoteBegin>

That’s the way you do it… play the guitar on the MTV…

Hoover movers…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Hey Tom, I’m dissapointed.

I was waiting for you to make a comment down the line of ‘why would anyone want an LP sound to start off with’ …

Ack! You are sooo right! How could I have missed such an opportunity! :)
Quote (Mwah @ Dec. 14 2005,02:15)
Quote (RichLum @ Dec. 13 2005,20:28)

Probably. And nothing is looped, every note is sampled... probably You'd get several soundbanks with different pickup/control settings, too. Maybe even different amps/amp settings. Althought that's not necessarily a good idea: You'd get more natural sound by running DI'd guitar samples through a good amp modeler than using, say distorted single note samples as themselves. Amps react differently to chords than single notes, so several distorted single notes sound considerably different than a distorted chord.

So much of playing the guitar is based on the touch and attack of the player. I guess if you never want to work with live musicians for your writing/arranging/scoring work, then these are the deal. Personally, I prefer to just play the part of find a good musician to play the part I need played.

Could this possibly be the end of bothering to learn to play an instrument? In the future, will we go to orchestra comcerts to see a person on stage with a midi version of the IPod and a nice PA? Maybe to make it feel more "real" there will be a second person (in a tux) holding a similar midi IPod synced up to the first to play any "solo" parts. :(

I know I should embrace midi and sampling more cause it is a great time/money saver, but I guess I'm a bit too old school for that. I prefer Itzak Perlman to his sampled counterpart.

Hmmm… get Band in a Box a massive sample library and a decent PC. BANG! You’re s star! Right…

<!–QuoteBegin>

I prefer Itzak Perlman to his sampled counterpart.

Mmmm… yep. I can agree!

I can see “Geeky kid” with MidiPod in hand meeting Steve Vai down at the Crossroads…

TG

the thing is, sampled instruments can be very useful when writing something, and they can be useful when the attempt is to use them for what they are - not real players but things to be mangled and used in ways that Perlman can’t play. :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

I can see “Geeky kid” with MidiPod in hand meeting Steve Vai down at the Crossroads…

TG

Didn’t Ry Cooder have something to do with that too Tim? Or am I thinking of The Sound of Music? ???

Yeah… I think Ry Cooder played the Ralph Macchio bits… Kid shoulda stuck to karate. Looked like a dweeb with that goofy hat on…

D