Let me try this a different way...

Perhaps my last post was too wordy.

I’m confused as to which setting to use in the audio devices area of preferences in n-track 4.1 to use with this newly purchased laptop card - MME (and its many virtual outputs), MME: Wave Mapper, WDM (and its many virtual outputs) or ASIO Echo WDM?

If more information is needed, please tell me as I would like to get this card properely configured.

Thanks in advance,

PEACE

Eyup!

First of all, I would recommend NOT to use Wave Mapper. The other soundcard drivers all have their plusses and minuses.

MME: Greatest latency but best stability. Useful if you have an old, slow machine.

WDM: Less latency than MME, a good one to use if your PC is stable and not too old.

ASIO: It is possible to get almost “real time” processing with the ASIO driver, provided your PC can cope. This driver is the least stable.

Most people seem to use the WDM driver (as do I) it works pretty well with most PC’s, particularly under Windows XP.

I restrict the inputs & outputs to 2.

Steve

<!–QuoteBegin>

First of all, I would recommend NOT to use Wave Mapper.

Exactly. Wave Mapper is nothing but a generic way of using one of the other named devices. The Wave Mapper will be whatever wave device is selected in Windows Audio Control Panel. It’s best to just choose the one you want in n-Tracks, then it won’t switch on you if you happen to choose a different one for Windows itself.

There is the same issue with the MIDI Mapper, except there is a bad side effect. Only one instance of a MIDI device can be opened at once. If the MIDI Mapper is opened, then the same device can’t also be opened at the same time as whatever underlying named device it is. This can lead to that “Error Opening MIDI Device” pop-up.

Some wave devices will allow only one instance as well, even today, but I haven’t seen it in a long time myself. That was the design a long time ago for all wave devices.

Thanks for helping to clear this up. I think I’ll try the WDM setting on both my desktop and laptop until I become more comfortable with the different settings. To interact with the ASIO settins from the “hammer” in rec. and playback is too confusing right now.

As a side-note, Isn’t “ASIO Echo WDM” contradictory in terms?

Thanks again,

PEACE

Quote (harphunt @ Oct. 19 2005,14:53)
As a side-note, Isn't "ASIO Echo WDM" contradictory in terms?

Sounds like it doesn't it. It may be that to provide ASIO compatibilty, they have a "wrapper" similar to ASIO4ALL that simply "wraps" the WDM driver in an ASIO "shell". I duuno for sure though.

The ASIO4ALL thing is just that, a wrapper for an existing WDM driver. It works great on my laptop though. Even with the lousy, built-in Sigma-Tel sound chipset.

TG

I had major issues with the ASIO drivers. I switched to the WDM drivers and have had good luck ever since.

Ted

No, the Indigo has a regular ASIO driver, I’m pretty sure.