Lexicon Alpha Trouble Shooting

Trouble Using Mic With N-Tracks

Trouble Shooting

For some reason when using the mic channel with N-Tracks The recording view meter gets only a partial signal and no sound gets recorded.

This happens with a pre amp thru line in also.

I don’t get this problem with Mixcraft so I am thinking it is software related.

Any ideas?

check the soundcard settings in Mixcraft, make sure they are the same in Ntrack.

that’s my only suggestion till I look up Alpha and see what it’s defaults are.

44.1 kHz or 48 kHz at 24bit, make sure that is what is set inside Ntrack.

dontcare
:cool:

Oh, I almost forgot

make sure have ASIO selected inside ntrack.

I think it is set to MME for default, so you have to manually switch it to the Alpha ASIO.

Open Rec VU meter on left.

Above the hammer there should be a bar with writing in it, If that doesn’t say Layla ASIO driver than click it, set it, and forget it.
:agree:

Make sure the red light is lit up next to the hammer, you can click the hammer to check your in/out channels as well.

dontcare

Quote: (dontcare @ Jan. 25 2012, 4:06 PM)

Oh, I almost forgot

make sure have ASIO selected inside ntrack.

I think it is set to MME for default, so you have to manually switch it to the Alpha ASIO.

Open Rec VU meter on left.

Above the hammer there should be a bar with writing in it, If that doesn't say Layla ASIO driver than click it, set it, and forget it.

Make sure the red light is lit up next to the hammer, you can click the hammer to check your in/out channels as well.

dontcare

Thanks, actually I decided to pack up the piece of junk and send it back to amazon.com

well that’s certainly one solution!

Lexicon is a pretty well respected name in the music industry (especially with their reverbs)

but I know how it can be with interfaces, I have given up on many a interface myself, did the same thing, return to sender.

I have a little M-audio Fasttrack I take on the road with me, that thing is pretty reliable/stable even on a portable PC (OQO) that has very little processor power

I have owned other larger M-audio intefaces as well, and they were all good with Ntrack and slow PC’s, I tend to lurk in all the companies forums…looking for all the problems and how quickly they are solved (if at all) before buying, problems with this PC chip and that driver etc etc, M-audio comes out pretty good in all that which is why I use their smaller devices when portability is desired, their A/D conversion get’s good reviews too.

dontcare

Quote: (dontcare @ Jan. 26 2012, 11:27 AM)

well that's certainly one solution!

Lexicon is a pretty well respected name in the music industry (especially with their reverbs)

but I know how it can be with interfaces, I have given up on many a interface myself, did the same thing, return to sender.

I have a little M-audio Fasttrack I take on the road with me, that thing is pretty reliable/stable even on a portable PC (OQO) that has very little processor power

I have owned other larger M-audio intefaces as well, and they were all good with Ntrack and slow PC's, I tend to lurk in all the companies forums...looking for all the problems and how quickly they are solved (if at all) before buying, problems with this PC chip and that driver etc etc, M-audio comes out pretty good in all that which is why I use their smaller devices when portability is desired, their A/D conversion get's good reviews too.

dontcare

I have always had trouble getting sound cards to work with N-Tracks. My main interface is an M-Audio Delta 66 installed in a Desktop.

The best way I have found to record on a laptop is to send a signal directly into the computers sound card by way of a pre-amp. For that I use a Golden Age Project Pre-73 Preamp MKII.

I may try a firewire interface. It is just convenient to record on a laptop sometimes.
Quote: (qdog @ Jan. 28 2012, 10:44 PM)

Quote: (dontcare @ Jan. 26 2012, 11:27 AM)

well that's certainly one solution!

I have owned other larger M-audio intefaces as well, and they were all good with Ntrack and slow PC's, I tend to lurk in all the companies forums...looking for all the problems and how quickly they are solved (if at all) before buying, problems with this PC chip and that driver etc etc, M-audio comes out pretty good in all that which is why I use their smaller devices when portability is desired, their A/D conversion get's good reviews too.

dontcare

I have always had trouble getting sound cards to work with N-Tracks. My main interface is an M-Audio Delta 66 installed in a Desktop.

The best way I have found to record on a laptop is to send a signal directly into the computers sound card by way of a pre-amp. For that I use a Golden Age Project Pre-73 Preamp MKII.

I may try a firewire interface. It is just convenient to record on a laptop sometimes.

Yeah I had trouble with the delta series too,

Mine was a 2948 or something like that, PCI socket type card.

I had thought it was Ntrack too, turned out it was the motherboard and a common problem with it.

So the research into motherboards eventually led me to asus and I've been in blissus ever since. :agree:

I am using Onyx firewire 16 track mixer now and things are good.

There are laptops with integrated firewire ports out there if you do the research, but they are few and far between, the older ones (IBM made some, and I think HP had one a year or two ago) but it is hard to find TI chip ones and those were best, most of the companies have moved to other chipsets.

I've even tried one of those 2 Port ExpressCard's firewire inserts for a Compact and it worked ok on softer sources (vocals in an isolation booth), but very unstable with pops and clicks/drop outs on anything louder or with bass vibration in the vicinity.

dontcare :cool: