Line-In Recording Problems

Won’t record L R stereo channels…

Here’s my problem,

I plug in my microphone to my mixer. I pan the channel on the mixer hard right. The sound moves to the right speaker only. I pan the channel on my mixer to the left. The sound moves to left only. Ok, looks good.

But

When I record using my line in, everything pans to the center. I may be recording a track that’s panned hard right but in the end it is recorded in the center.

I will do stereo overheads, one mic to the left and one to the right but when recorded everything is centered.

I’m running into my line-in and my mic input is broken.
So in a nutshell, I can pan left and right when not recording and just listening to the monitors. When i record a track and play it back through n-track the sound is centered and not panned. Its as if its recorded in mono.

Any help?

Sounds like you are recording to two seperate tracks at once with one being feed from the left in and the other the right. If this is so you will have to pan the files you wish to be left or right in the stereo image during play back.

Hope that helps,
Chopper

Yeah, if you are recording mono tracks … default playback is panned center.
Use the n-Track mixer or individual track mixer strips to pan the tracks to taste.

I think you guys are misunderstanding me…

Here’s my setup…

Mixer outputs (rca jacks) are into my line in. I use a Y cable adapter because there is only one line in jack(no left and right inputs or anything). From that the soundcard audio out monitors everything including whats being recorded and the playback.

When I pan the microphones left and right on the mixer which goes to the line in, the monitors pick up the panning. So that must mean that the line-in is stereo…correct?

But, when i record what the microphone picks up, regardless of where it is panned on the mixer, all of the microphones are centered. This means if I had one microphone plugged in to the mixer and had it panned hard left, that when I recorded it it would be centered and not panned hard left.

This is a problem because I want to do stereo overheads on drum kits. I cant pan the overheads left or right because they would just end up centered in the mix. I tried everything on the program. Mono recording does the same as well as stereo as well as stereo with 2 mono tracks. Also, the playback is in stereo as well. I just need to know if its my soundcard or possibly the connection between my mixer and the soundcard.

Thanks a lot!

I would also like to add that i do not have the ability to record seperate mics to separate tracks. If I have six drum mics on a drum set, it will all go to one track. So if I pan one over head to the left one to the right and every thing else centered it is recorded as everything centered including the overheads.

When I pan the microphones left and right on the mixer which goes to the line in, the monitors pick up the panning. So that must mean that the line-in is stereo....correct?

Yes, it sounds like your line-in is actually stereo

But, when i record what the microphone picks up, regardless of where it is panned on the mixer, all of the microphones are centered. This means if I had one microphone plugged in to the mixer and had it panned hard left, that when I recorded it it would be centered and not panned hard left.

So, let me get this straight. You are trying to record a stereo source (the line-in) to a single stereo track. If you pan the audio on your mixer hard left and hit the record button, the audio is recorded equally in both stereo channels, even though it is panned hard left in the monitors. If this is the case, there is definitely something wrong with your sondcard, the driver you are using, or the way N is communicating with it.

If this does not describe the situation, I would guess that you mean by "microphones are centered" that when you play back recorded mono tracks in N, they all of the tracks are centered. (I think that this is what the other two responders thougt you meant.) In this case, you need to pan the mono channels on the N-Track mixer so that one is panned left and the other is panned right.

This is a problem because I want to do stereo overheads on drum kits. I cant pan the overheads left or right because they would just end up centered in the mix. I tried everything on the program. Mono recording does the same as well as stereo as well as stereo with 2 mono tracks. Also, the playback is in stereo as well. I just need to know if its my soundcard or possibly the connection between my mixer and the soundcard.

You mentioned above that you did a test where you panned the signal left and right and heard the sound switch from the left monitor to the right monitor. Those monitors are plugged into your soundcard, correct? If they are, then I don't think that there is a problem with your wiring.

One thing you might want to try is to make sure which input you are connected to on your soundcard (mic in, line in, or aux). Some soundcards have a fairly limited internal mixer and you may be running into problems with that. Try the mic in and/or the aux in and see if that changes anything.

Cheers,
Ben

Ya…my mic in is broken. And that leaves me with a line in and an audio out. So no matter what I have to plug into the line in.

Set your input in ntrack to “stereo -> two mono tracks” and then you’ll be able to pan the left and right of the stereo line in independantly of each other.

Ben was right when he said…

So, let me get this straight. You are trying to record a stereo source (the line-in) to a single stereo track. If you pan the audio on your mixer hard left and hit the record button, the audio is recorded equally in both stereo channels, even though it is panned hard left in the monitors. If this is the case, there is definitely something wrong with your sondcard, the driver you are using, or the way N is communicating with it.

Sorry…i missed that!

Quote (jeaston @ Dec. 05 2004,22:04)
Ben was right when he said....

Sorry...i missed that!

If in that situation (recording a stereo track, with your source panned all the way to one side at your mixer) does the resulting waveform drawn by n-Track show audio for both left and right channel? Meaning is it drawing two waveforms or is one of them flat-lined?
If one of the stereo waveforms is flat-lined, then there pry isn't anything wrong other than you may have n-Track's mixer set to mono playback. You set this via the little oval shapes to the right of the Master volume knob. Click it and see if makes any difference.

If you are getting the two separate waveforms ..... ???
I guess more than just the Mic In is broken.
Maybe you could look for any updated drivers for your soundcard.
What soundcard are you using?

Make sure your Y adaptor is a stereo one, not a mono one - ie 2 RCA jacks to one stereo (1/8" I assume) plug (TRS). If the plug that plugs into the sound card is mono (TS) you will always get a mono signal to the DAW.

I’m using a ensoniq audiopci… its just a basic one that came with my comp 10 years ago.

Yes, both left and right channels suggest audio. No matter where I pan my mics, they still end up equal in both channels when recorded.

The panning on the desk doesn’t have any effect on the recorded tracks - left will go to left, right will go to right, but when you first play them back, it’ll be panned to the center.

Here’s a question - are the two channels IDENTICAL? If so, then your Y cable is summing (probably not the right word) the left and right to both sides. Try recording both channels, but only having one input connected.

Willy

The panning on the desk doesn't have any effect on the recorded tracks - left will go to left, right will go to right, but when you first play them back, it'll be panned to the center

Here's a question - are the two channels IDENTICAL? If so, then your Y cable is summing (probably not the right word) the left and right to both sides. Try recording both channels, but only having one input connected.

You are still missing my point. Instead of left going left.....left goes center. Instead of right going right......right goes center. Everything is centered. It seems like my soundcard is bypassing the panning. Lets say I were to use two microphones. I panned one left and one right. The recorded track will show up as them both panned centered. I will try to record in the left channel only but when I record the track, it shows up recorded in the left and right channels.

Also, what are you looking for if i have only one input connected? I'm not sure I see the point in doing that.

Jeff

If you’ve got the right cable into a stereo input, not having one side connected will result in only one side having a recorded signal - the other channel of the stereo pair should be silence. If you have the same signal in both sides of a single stereo track in this instance then you’re either going into a (mono) mic input, or the cable is summing to both sides, or it’s summing to a mono jack.

I think you should have a crack at making your own cable in this instance, or buy an 2x rca to stereo jack Y cable. Wire one rca to tip, one to the ring, and wire the ground to the sleeve.

Willy.

Let me see if I get you right. You have an ancient sound card that you are trying to use recording. Alright… You need to make sure that the input on your sound card is stereo, not just your external mixer. In N-Track, Stereo should appear as 2 channels… Or thats what I get when I do stereo. If you mix your sound with one channel, its always going to be one channel. You have to split it into two independent channels and pan one to the left and the other to the right. The left side should be left and the other right. When you listen to the playback, does the source to the monitors come from your sound board or your computer? If it comes from your sound board you are completely bypassing N-track and the whole computer. If the speakers are powered by your computer and the playback is sourced from your comp. You should just look into getting a new sound card. You can get a great deal on some from http://www.musiciansfriend.com or Ebay. A midi interface works great too…
Jeff Parker ???

If you are using a cable like this one, but are having the issue that you are … I’d say … yeah, get a new soundcard. An Audiophile 2496 would be a decent one.

Your Y-cable is a stereo one, I hope? The little one (1/8", 3.5 mm). You’ve plugged it all the way into the soundcards line in?

I have an Ensoniq card. Your LINE IN on this card is a stereo mini plug 1/8". If you are using a Mono miniplug, then the audio will appear on both channels regardless of what you send it.

You need an RCA Stereo to Mini Plug Stereo adapter. This should give you a stereo signal.

By the way, you should be using your Line In, the MIC in on this card is very poor quality.

Dave T2