Link for woxnerw

and a question

Hey, Bill, you wanted to hear the Carr amp - well, here’s a short file that wasn’t intended for public consumption, that I made when I got the amp in the house to hear what it would sound like. So forgive its lame-ness! :) It’s a PRS with soapbar pickups on the center position, through the Carr set pretty much flat but at 2 watts, so the volume was rather lowish, with a rode nt3 in front and an sm 57 on the back (it’s open back); the 57’s signal is flipped so the mics are not out of phase. Other than that, a touch of the amps reverb, and no processing.

You should hear the strat through the amp. I’ll try to get something up with that. Mmm.mmm…mmm…

http://www.soundclick.com/tomspademan

Dunno if the link works yet…gotta get some decent mp3 hosting…

Edit: it seems to work for streaming now. Not for download.

Anyway here’s the question - I posted it over on tapeop but no answers yet. I just acquired an old Shure se-30 gated compressor/mixer. By “gated” they mean that it will hold the compression level for a variable amount. The unit works fine as a set of three preamps (with one line out), but the compressor part distorts when the compression kicks in - a nasty solid state distortion. I suspect that’s why it was in the trash. :)

Anyway, here’s a link to the tapeop thread - any words of wisdom on fixing it?

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=41028

There are links there to the manual, which is a great manual, with full schematics and such. Shure does great legacy support.

Hi TomS:
I get a message saying that the post hasn’t been “Cleared” yet… Try tomorrow. or something… I’ll be interested in hearing that amp… I think you a got a “Gem” there… I haven’t got out to the Musicstop over here yet, to see if they have one of them on display… I’ll get there sometime, through the week… We’ll see…

Is there a link to the Amp’s home page… over in North-Side Carolina?

I think I know that Shure Gate… However I haven’t any hands on with it… It should work pretty nice if you can find out what’s holding it back… Maybe, Bubba has some ideas for you on it… He must be hiding… I don’t see him around…

Bill…

Well, like I said, the clip wasn’t intended for public consumption, and doesn’t really show off all the amp can do. As I make some good recordings with it I will post them. :)

The amp:

http://www.carramps.com

the model is the Mercury - the purple one shown on the front page of the Carr website.

Whata small world. I was in Chapel Hill, NC, for Christmas (just got back yesterday). While there we went to see some Friends and relatives. The trip took us right through Pittsboro (and right down Salisbury Street because of one extra little turn I took to see if something was still there after 25 years - it was).

That’s a great sounding little amp. Does it have much range outside that kind of tone?

The tone can be varied enormously, phoo. Like I said, that was just a clip to do a quick test - but even that tone is really good, isn’t it? :) That was at the 2 watt setting - which is misleading, since what the amp has is a power soak, so it still runs at the full 8 watts, but the speaker doesn’t get the full power. So that was the sort of middle saturation. Clean tones with the PRS are gorgeous, and full on distortion is exactly what you would expect, really throaty. With the strat on a clean to just slightly overdriven sound, it sounds EXACTLY like Big Star’s second LP, Radio City - as I said in a previous thread, perhaps my all-time favorite recording. With the Ric on the bridge pickup, it sounds like New Order, circa Low Life. I’ll post some clips in the next few days. :)

It’s really a small world - my wife spent a significant part of her childhood in Pittsboro - she doesn’t exactly have happy memories of it, either. But she still let me get the amp! :D

I hear the link is working now… When I was on early this morning it wan’t … I am gonne open it up and download it… Be right back…

Bill…

[EDIT] Remember, it takes me a while to get that file. Later.

Yes… I hear the flavor of that amp breaking through… I can only describe the tone as … The amp has a “Chang” to it…

You grab a hand-full of notes with your left hand and make them talk with your “Pick-Hand”. How you attack the strings with your pick-hand makes the strings “Chang”. That tone cuts through to the speaker…

This amp has the capability to express that… Turn the amp up a little and position yourself so the body and pickups, of your guitar, can “Hear” the amp’s speaker and the Amp/Guitar combination will make your amp “Sing” to what you play… It’s a delicate position/adjustment… But You’ll hear IT when it (Your amp) starts to sing…

B B King played Lucile through a Black Faced Fender Twin Amp with All the Knobs turned to 11… Then he made Lucile “Speak” to him through the Amp… by positioning himself in relation to the Amp… by how he muted/damped the body of Lucile… with his body… B B King is a Master of this technique…

You have a beautiful amp… TomS…

Bill…

“Chang” is right - I love that chang! Here’s a song I wrote and recorded yesterday afternoon - again, just experimenting with the guitar/amp sound in a context - only two guitar tracks, the original at the same mildly saturated setting, the distortion on the “solo” :) is the Fulltone OCD pedal. Same PRS guitar, just the rode nt3 in front of the amp this time. Actually a bit cleaner than using the front and back mics.

Click on "Everybody’s Home for the Holidays"
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=643221

Um. It might not be cleared until tomorrow (friday the 29th). :(

Quote (TomS @ Dec. 28 2006,16:52)
"Chang" is right - I love that chang! Here's a song I wrote and recorded yesterday afternoon - again, just experimenting with the guitar/amp sound in a context - only two guitar tracks, the original at the same mildly saturated setting, the distortion on the "solo" :) is the Fulltone OCD pedal. Same PRS guitar, just the rode nt3 in front of the amp this time. Actually a bit cleaner than using the front and back mics.

Click on "Everybody's Home for the Holidays"
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=643221

Um. It might not be cleared until tomorrow (friday the 29th). :(

Very nice, Tom. Very nice.

Hi TomS:
I wasn’t sure if “Chang” would describe the taste of the description… Maybe, another way to describe the term is… Each string when played has it’s own distinctive “Edge” … When the sound of the strings are all summed up there is separation from the “Edginess” of each string that doesn’t interact with the next string when the amp reproduces to guitar’s sound… Pedals have a way of homogenizing the sound of the strings… Sometimes you want that sound… Well… But “Chang” is a flavor/sound that stands out all by itself…

There ain’t many amps that have the ability to discern, that sound…

I’ll be looking for your file… I gotta get something better than a dial-up… ??? :(

Bill…

Ha - this is just a way to get you guys to listen to a song I wrote. I should have posted a better one. :)

Seriously, I have so little time, I sit down and write and record things as fast as I can, just to see what comes out. This one had nice sounding vocals, I thought.

Anyway, back to the Shure - I spoke with some folks and they suggested actually sending it to Shure, that they still do support for older products. What a great company.

Hi Tom:
I hear that amp… It glistens… shines through the recording.

I still hear Limey saying to get someone to “Walk” the mic around the amp… so as… to find the “Sweet Spot”… with the mic. It could be different with every guitar track/combination you do…

It sounds like the amp is capable of lifting your guitar tracks to Magic Track Status… on the projects you use it, on…

Bill…

[EDIT]
The Shure Plant can’t be too far down the road from where you live… Then, if they can get one of the senior guys to look at it and give it a classic rebuild… Hey… what more can you ask, for… ??

Yes, you are right, mic placement - that’s something I pay almost no attention to. Well, I never have time to do this anyway… :)

Wonder where Limey is, anyway? :(

Hey, Bill, I just got a reply to my email to Shure, and they recommended a specific person at this place:

http://www.deltaaudio.biz/index.html

Shure is sure a class company. :)