Linux

Are you mad?

Eyup!

Is anyone here successfully using any flavour of Linux as a DAW?

and if so, which rocket scientist did you get to set it up for you :D

I’ve been fiddling about with Ubuntu for a week and just managed to get it to play a DVD

I’m not impressed ???

Maybe my little grey cells just aren’t up to it anymore.

Steve

Hi Steve:
Wouldn’t it be nice if we could somehow get Bill Gates out of our DAWs… In my opinion he has somehow managed to use an excessive amount of zero’s-and-one’s to slow the speed of the DAW down to a crawl… and make “Streaming” tracks from the hard drive next to impossible…

But he’s very efficient at making money…

I hear he’s thinking about retiring… is that true?

Bill…

I used to do system admin on Unix boxes early in my career. We also used Unix boxes for embedded software development Very powerful and feature rich. When I changed jobs and moved to programming on DOS boxes it felt as if one of my arms had been cut off.

Since then I’ve followed the PC-Unix development with interest from SCO Unix and Minix through to today’s Linux distros. I agree with you Steve. Linux has a lot to offer to but is still somewhat complex to configure, especially with the multitude of distros out there all doing things differently.

There is an easier route for anyone who wants to have a play with Linux (but I don’t think it would be a serious DAW route yet), and that is VMWare. Download the free Virtual Machine and then download one of the Linux VM images. Load it up in VMware and away you go. Nothing to install; no graphics cards to fiddle with; no network settings to stress over.

X

Eyup!

Yes Bill, I believe Mr Gates is concentrating on his “charidee” work and taking “less of a day-to-day role” in the running of Micro$oft.

Seriously though, if you are of the correct technical bent, Linux at least offers the chance to tweak almost everything, including how your hard drives work, so as to get the ultimate in efficiency for whatever task you use your computer for.

The downside is that it would probably take you longer to learn how to do it than the time you waste rebuilding Windows after all those crashes. :D

Definitely worth a look though if you are computer nerd and enjoy such things.

I have to say, I have just set up a dual boot WinXP / Ubuntu system and it was an absolute dream compared to Win98 / WinXP

Slightly cheaper too :;):

Steve

Hi Steve:
Thanks for your reply to this idea…

I’m always up for a challenge… but computers are something that always seems to get me in trouble if I play around with them…

I am one of those many, that came from the ATARI World… Way back in the late '80’s and early '90’s… I was told, back then, that I should lean toward the MAC world… However, I didn’t listen… If I had I think I would have never survived… Of course… Who Knows??

I’m one of those guys that has great respect for them (computers)… but I can never keep my fingers and mind away from them… I’ve found myself in some pretty naughty fixes over time…

I’m one of those guys that thinks they know-it-all till something happens and then I cry-the-blues for someone to get me back up and running… Then I promise myself and the guys who get me going that I’ll not do that again…

Mark A and phoo and the rest of you guys up here have all heard my story, many times…

So… Gentlemen…

Where is Mark… ??? I don’t see him up here… He hasn’t been around here for most of the summer… I sure hope he’s O.K. and All… He’s been a big poster of Facts-and-Support to this Board…

It’s guys like him, that I miss their input and comments-and-replies to this Board…

Maybe, he’ll re-appear… at least I hope he will…

Bill…