live concert recording

is n-track the way to go?

Hi guys, the other day I recorded a 2-hour high school band and chorus concert with n-Track. The tracks are a stereo pair (XY) and a solo microphone. What I want to know is, what do you all think is the easiest way to go about trimming down the songs to make a CD? My goal is to remove all the silence and intermissions, cut the applause to 8-10 seconds max, and apply EQ to all songs equally (well, maybe the band and choir will each have their own). I’ll also use compression on the solo mic and probably iZotope Ozone on the mix (or perhaps just a limiter). I’m thinking one of the following:

1) Make x copies of the .sng file, and trim the file offsets in each copy so that there is a sng file for each song of the concert. I’ll figure out my EQ and plugin parameters, save them as a preset, and then go thru each sng and apply the presets. Make a mixdown of each sng, and burn the mixdowns to CD.

2) Keep everything in one .sng file, but non-destructively delete the silence and drag the pieces closer to each other (within 2 seconds or so). Apply EQ and plugins to the entire thing at once, and mixdown to a single file. Note the start time of each track in mm:ss:fr (75 FPS) and use a cuesheet to set track markers on the CD.

Is n-Track even the best tool for the job? I’m very familiar with it, however I don’t know if this is a good application of it. Thanks for your input!

-Mike

Hi, If you were to use the mix it down all to one long Wav file method.You could probably divide it into tracks in your Cd burning software.
Specifically in Nero 6 you can get a graphical view of the whole file play parts of it and insert track markers where you want them, its very useable.

Nick

<!–QuoteBegin>

Make x copies of the .sng file, and trim the file offsets in each copy so that there is a sng file for each song of the concert. I’ll figure out my EQ and plugin parameters, save them as a preset, and then go thru each sng and apply the presets. Make a mixdown of each sng, and burn the mixdowns to CD.

You don’t need to make multiple copies of the .sng file. Do your EQing and processing. Mark the start and end times of each song. Then when you want to mixdown a song, click on ‘more options’ in the mixdown window, and type in the start and finish times in the black boxes. You can do this for each song without setting the EQ and such for each song individually.

I’d nondestructively edit the gaps out and then drag the cuts where you want them.

The CD burning program I use won’t find silence and mark between cuts, so I’d drag each cut to the beginning of a new audio track. I’d set “Output To” on the band songs to Goup 1 and all the choir songs to Group 2, and do all FX and EQ on the groups.

If I had a program like Nero, I’d probably first splice between choir and band, and drag the latter cut vertically down to a new audio track, for separate EQ, and then splice into individual songs.

In either case, next I’d use volume envelopes to fade in & out at the start & end of each cut.

To mixdown without Nero, for each cut, I’d do the following:
1) Solo the cut
2) drag on the timeline to select from the start to the end of the cut
3) Mixdown 10 16 bits, and remember to check “Selected Portion” or whatever it says
4) Name the mixdown file by song name or cut number.

To mixdown with Nero, just do one big mixdown and let the CD buring software find the gaps. (Nice feature.) If you want the wave files for converting to MP3 for posting on the web or something, just rip the CD and skip the manual steps above.