live input buffering

does it do anything?

Does anyone know of situations where the settings for live input/vu-meter buffering have any effect?
I looks like the settings for recording are also used for live input processing even if you’re not recording at all.
Also, I can’t find a way to (live-) monitor an input without assigning it to (recording to) a track. Is that possible at all?

I’m pretty sure you have to assign an input channel to a track to live monitor it. This makes sense, because that’s the only way you could apply FX to it, or even get the output summed to n-Track’s main outputs – which is what you would be monitoring. And if you’re not using FX, then there’s no point at all to using live mode, you should just monitor directly from your soundcard’s input. (AFAIK, just about all soundcards support this, including cheapo built-ins, soundblasters, and high-end cards.)

I’m using N V3.3, and what I see is that changing the live/metering buffering does indeed change the delay between making a sound and seeing it on the meters as well as hearing it in live mode. Changing the record buffering didn’t seem to make any observable difference. In other words, things worked pretty much as I’d expect, and not as you’ve observed.

I should have been clearer. Sorry.
What I cannot do is monitor one input (with effects but without recording from it) and record from another input at the same time.
It’s not a big problem: I could just delete the resulting wav of course.

Re: the Live-input buffering: I’m using v4.1.
I like the difference: low latency for the monitoring and glitch-free recording at the same time.
Anyone knows how things are organized in v4.1?

Did you try disabling recording on the track where you want monitor only? (click on the red dot below record meters)

I believe that, while you have to have an audio track assigned, you should be able to monitor live but with recording disabled for that track.

BTW, note that when using live mode and recording, the unaffected signal gets recorded, not the signal with effect. For example, if you were using something like Guitar Rig as a plugin but want to record the dry track so you can adjust the GitRig parameters later, that happens by default – you don’t have to record a second track “clean”. Just in case this is what you’re thinking.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Did you try disabling recording on the track where you want monitor only? (click on the red dot below record meters)

I believe that, while you have to have an audio track assigned, you should be able to monitor live but with recording disabled for that track.

This is exactly what I’m trying to do. But it won’t work. The moment I disable recording, Live input processing stops working too.
I can’t figure it out. Hate that. Makes me feel like the idiot I am! :p
Just out of curiosity: could you please try to do this with v3.3? Does it work?

<!–QuoteBegin>
BTW, note that when using live mode and recording, the unaffected signal gets recorded, not the signal with effect. For example, if you were using something like Guitar Rig as a plugin but want to record the dry track so you can adjust the GitRig parameters later, that happens by default – you don’t have to record a second track “clean”. Just in case this is what you’re thinking.

Yes, I know all that, and no, that wasn’t what I was thinking.
Thank you for thinking with me anyway! :)