Live input question - EQ before track is recorded?

Hey all;

Is it possible to use the Live recording button to add EQ before the track hits the hard disk? I’m thinking along these lines: My snare almost always needs some boost at around 5K, so why not put that boost on (like having a hardware EQ between my mic pre and soundcard) before the track gets recorded? I’ve also heard things said like “you can’t boost something that’s not there already”, meaning if you need to boost some 10K for air, it won’t work as well (or at all?) after the track is already recorded. I don’t know if that’s actually true or not, or if it sounds better if the boost is done beforehand… Anyway, I’d like to try EQing beforehand if it’s possible but I haven’t been able to do that thus far. Oh BTW, I’m using build 1811 (v. 4.0.4)

Thanks

Ideally you should get your snare to sound the way you want it with
1.) the microphone you choose
2.) mic placement
3.) running it through an outboard unit/interface with eq before the recording input

I assume it’s a “real” snare though.

To answer you question - I have never tried to EQ a live track while recording. I always use outboard gear or interface software.

Thanks for the reply Poppa.

Yes it is a real snare, and I would put the EQ before the soundcard input, but I don’t have a decent hardware EQ (I’ve got a graphic, but I need parametric for the proper bandwidth and frequency). Is it possible to use the Live input from nTrack to EQ it before it gets to hard disc? I used the Live input to add delay to a vocal track to see if it would work, and I can hear the delay when tracking (i.e., I can hear it while I’m recording it), but it’s not actually on the recorded track.

Thanks

Ya you can do that.
Just record a little, then open ntrack eq on that track, make your adjustments, remove that part.
Then record onto that same track with the live input option on.
That happens to me at times when I’m not paying attention.
Later finding a track real hot and wondering how it got that way, that’s how.

The only trouble is that if you want to monitor it while you are playing the drum part (I mean with the sticks, not playback), you will be hearing the snare about half an hour after the hit - well, it will seem like that long! :p If you are playing live, you should not need to monitor it from your computer, so no problem, but if you need to overdub…

Good luck!
'til later;
Tony W

You will hear it in present time if your just eqing :agree: experiment a little, I’ll bet that you’ll be surprised.

Just tried your method Levi, but I couldnt get it to work. I cold hear the change in EQ as I was recording it, but it didn’t actually make it to the recorded track. Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks

I may be wrong but don’t think I am… the live input is for monitoring only. Good news is if you can hear your snare in LIVE and get it the way you want it sound wise with EQ - just save that preset as “snare” and add it to the playback.

I don’t think you’re going to be able to record “wet” internally, unless there’s some routing I’m not familiar with in n-Track.

Sorry man, to be honest I never use the live input recording selection activated. Ocasionally I find it on by mistake. I always set my levels on my out board amps. Then use nTracks equalizers to tweak the eq on any given track that I have recorded. Same with real drum kits. I usually record each drum flat then eq in the nTrack studio, pretty much relying on mic placement. Sorry buddy, I shouldn’t have said anything. I’ve had my head in the box so long now I forgot about all the great outboard gear still workin. If thats your situation, I don’t blame you for wanting that option to work for you. Someone here should have some experience with it.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Mar. 21 2009, 4:19 PM)

I may be wrong but don't think I am..... the live input is for monitoring only. Good news is if you can hear your snare in LIVE and get it the way you want it sound wise with EQ - just save that preset as "snare" and add it to the playback.

I don't think you're going to be able to record "wet" internally, unless there's some routing I'm not familiar with in n-Track.

:agree:
You might have to do a few test takes but that would work.
I like to eq in the box, so I can compare and adjust.
To each his own, good luck.
Quote: (tempus @ Mar. 20 2009, 3:50 PM)

Hey all;

Is it possible to use the Live recording button to add EQ before the track hits the hard disk? I'm thinking along these lines: My snare almost always needs some boost at around 5K, so why not put that boost on (like having a hardware EQ between my mic pre and soundcard) before the track gets recorded? I've also heard things said like "you can't boost something that's not there already", meaning if you need to boost some 10K for air, it won't work as well (or at all?) after the track is already recorded. I don't know if that's actually true or not, or if it sounds better if the boost is done beforehand... Anyway, I'd like to try EQing beforehand if it's possible but I haven't been able to do that thus far. Oh BTW, I'm using build 1811 (v. 4.0.4)

Thanks

You can boost all you want in the box really. Try both good man.
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Mar. 21 2009, 4:19 PM)

I may be wrong but don't think I am..... the live input is for monitoring only. Good news is if you can hear your snare in LIVE and get it the way you want it sound wise with EQ -

We already hear our input via the sound card, this is when I set my out board tones.
So what other purpose would the live input processing option be for?
Redundancy?
Oh I get it, it's for feel.
In case someone your recording needs to hear some processing on their instrument in order to get into it while recording.
A feel good button!

If you check out the N signal path: (2.5.12. n-Track Signal Path) in the manual,
LIVE is just an input monitor

I was a little confused (again). With LIVE selected the input is monitored thru the signal chain at the output meter. So the effects you hear should be recorded to the track. Is that correct?

:laugh: You guys sure do like to read!
I suppose if I didn't have to go cross'eyed to read I would read more!
Teasin but some truth there.
I think you where right the first time 7, if it's added at the out put stage then the signal has bypassed and any added effects from within nTrack aren't recorded.
And yes I'm BSing a little.
This is done to give the player feel while reducing cpu usage I suppose.
Don't bet on it though, pure logic here,
I didn't read anything.
??? I just know that my mackie board has that option so it seems par for the curse.

Well if I’m looking at this right…

The effected input does not get recorded. You’d need something like in this pic.

OR do it like ‘R’. Have an option to "Record track OUTPUT (latency compensated)"

I don’t use that very often in Reaper but a ton of guys do so I’d say it’s a pretty handy feature.

D

Look at that again D - the LIVE arrows down to the input of the effects signal chain at the mute/solo input and continues thru to the output. That should record the effects. Right?

Not unless that diagram is not telling the whole story. The arrow is pointing down meaning it’s taking the input signal and washing that through the signal path so you can hear it at the output. There is no return path FROM the chain that goes back to the recorded .WAV file. I don’t have n installed so I can’t test it. Should be easy enough to test though…

D

record’s signal path ends at new wav file. period.