Live recording and gig report

:slight_smile:

In case anyone is interestedā€¦

I got a gig playing guitar for this lot: www.motelkings.co.uk.

They havenā€™t played for 6 years and their guitarist is out of town so I got the call. Four cds of songs, 1 rehearsal, and 2 hours on stage (2 sets). Great fun if not a little harrowing.

Anyway, I mentioned in another thread that I was looking for an outboard interface. Well some serious ebaying got me sufficient spondoolicks to pick up a Tascam 1641. First outing was to record the Motel Kings gig.

Weā€™d hired a biggish PA, so they handled the mic-ing up. We split the XLRs at the desk (using passive XLR splitters), into my Soundcraft mixer and then into the Tascam into 10 of the analogue inputs. Recording was done using my entry level Dell laptop (with all the unnecessary services etc stopped), and a little software programme that isnā€™t n-track. The tascam is USB2.

Recorded 10 tracks at 24bit 44.1 for the full 2 hours (and the sound check). The Tascam didnā€™t miss a beat.

Bass: DI
Keys: DI
Guitar: SM57
Snare: SM57
Overheads: AKG C1000s
Kick: AKG something
Harmonica amp: SM57
Vocals: SM58
Crowd mic: AT small condensor. Forget the model.

All the tracks sound great, although Iā€™m not really happy with the '57 on the guitar cab. Sounds kinda fizzy to me although it sounded fine out of the PA. Maybe I need to work the EQ a bit.

Anyway, Iā€™ll post some tracks if Iā€™m allowed (not my songs).

And a big vote for the Tascam.

Thatā€™s great Mark! :agree:

Please do post up some stuff if you are able. Mixing live stuff is all Iā€™m about these daysā€¦ itā€™s a challenge mateā€¦

D

Quote: (Diogesneez @ Aug. 31 2009, 11:12 AM)

Please do post up some stuff if you are able. Mixing live stuff is all I'm about these days... it's a challenge mate...

D

Ain't that the fact. It would have been much more helpful if we'd all made mistakes at the same places in the same song instead of all in different places....

And that flippin' guitar player kept getting louder; levels all over the place...., no... wait... that was me, doh!

I'm really looking forward to having a go at this. Everything sounds dry (obviously) and pretty flat at first listen. Got any tips or suggestions D on how you approach your mixing of live tracks?

Cheers

Advice? Yeahā€¦ QUIT NOW! :laugh:

Just jokinā€™ā€¦ Dry huh? Reverb and delay plugs are your friend used sparingly just to get a little ā€œairā€ in there. I have to really pay attention here as I have some sicko desire to over-do reverbā€¦ Maybe itā€™s because of the natural roar between my earsā€¦ :laugh:

Get used to automation. If you have a PC capable enough and a hardware controller, ride a fader or faders and record volume envelopes. In my case, my old PC is rather long in the tooth and I have to keep the latency up so hardware recording of fader moves would be tricky even if I had a hardware controller. Soā€¦ I spend a lot of time drawing envelopes or riding a fader with the mouse early on while I can keep the latency down.

Mic bleed? This one is a PITA and I have only hit on a few things that help. Automation, flipping the phase on one mic channel against the otherā€¦ (gotta be careful with that!) Highpass EQā€™s help cut the ā€˜mudā€™ on the offending bleeder etcā€¦ Just common sense stuff really.

Iā€™m still experimenting myself. The main thing is keep it fun. So far, I have been enjoying it. I work in short spurts so I donā€™t get sick of everything so quick. One of those songs I posted a link too? There are about TEN different project files saved for that one song. Iā€™ll go back and forth to revisit them and make notes. < MAKE NOTES!! MY feeble brain NEEDS a notepadā€¦

Dā€™s live mixinā€™ TO DO list:

Explore side-chaining a bit moreā€¦ (so easy to setup in ā€˜Rā€™ as to be laughable)
Play around more with ReaGateā€¦ (gate plug)
Play around a LOT more with ReaXcompā€¦ (multi-band compressor)

Next time, pre-recording TO DO list:

Work on drum mic placementsā€¦
Talk to performers. They can help out more than anything elseā€¦

D

Hi Mark A:

Good for youā€¦

That Tascam 1641 hardware looks so interestingā€¦
Question.
?
Is the drivers all O.K.
for the 1641ā€¦
in your opinion, that isā€¦
????

Billā€¦

[EDIT] Mistakes are something you canā€™t rehearseā€¦ In fact they are the best part of doing a live stageā€¦ Well, to me they areā€¦ Youā€™ll never hear mistakes done the same way againā€¦ :( :agree:

Marc - that is so cool. You must be from my future. Iā€™d love to be able to
do that some day. What letter does the other little software progran begin
with?

Hi D, Hi Bill,

D, thanks for the tips. I was already part way down the reverb route. Struggling to find the right one at the moment, but something right will come up. Levels are all over the place, so mucho envelope drawing Iā€™m sure. Iā€™ve got a mic I setup in the crowd which gives me a starting point for what the FOH sound was but itā€™s gonna be hard to capture ā€œbigā€. Also these guys albums sound pretty sweet so in a sense Iā€™ve got my work cut out for me.

Bill, I know what you mean. I guess having played for years in some very tight and well rehearsed bands that I find it frustrating to make silly mistakes. Also (not surprisingly) these guys donā€™t do the songs live as they do on the cds - and it was pretty much the cd arrangements that I learned, and without knowing the guys that well I wasnā€™t sure if some of the hand signals meant two bars, two solos, or something else!!

As for the Tascam the drivers seem just fine provided the Tascam is turned on when I startup the DAW software. Iā€™m getting a few crackles now that Iā€™ve started loading up effects etc, and even though the processor isnā€™t being hit I think I may need to up the buffers to cope.

:slight_smile:

Mark

Quote:

I wasn't sure if some of the hand signals meant two bars, two solos, or something else!!

YEAH! Pet peeve of mine. Whichever vocalist is leading the song on our team at church is responsible for cuing the band via hand signals. The main guy is good at it. We very seldom miss a cue when he is leading. Some of the others however... TRAIN WRECK!! ROFL... We're playing the verse section and she's still singin' the chorus! AAARRRGGGHHHH!

Hand signals: Know 'em, learn 'em, USE THEM! Except for the middle finger 'sign'. Let's forget that one shall we? :laugh:

D

PS What do you suppose shaking your hand as if trying to flick a booger off a finger means? Repeat? Speed up? Slow down? Stop NOW? Go fetch me a tissue? WHAT!?!?!?
Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Aug. 31 2009, 3:39 PM)

Marc - that is so cool. You must be from my future. I'd love to be able to
do that some day. What letter does the other little software progran begin
with?

R

Mark
Quote: (Diogesneez @ Aug. 31 2009, 4:06 PM)

Hand signals: Know 'em, learn 'em, USE THEM! Except for the middle finger 'sign'. Let's forget that one shall we? :laugh:

D

PS What do you suppose shaking your hand as if trying to flick a booger off a finger means? Repeat? Speed up? Slow down? Stop NOW? Go fetch me a tissue? WHAT!?!?!?

Well at least we could wander across the stage in that rock 'n' roll manner for what looks like a cool chat during the harmonica solo. In actual fact it's me and the bass player trying to figure out if we're supposed to go up to the 5th for a bar before the middle 8.

Well itā€™s begining to sound a bit bigger on headphones (yeah, I know, friends donā€™t let friends mix on headphones but itā€™s late here). I know itā€™ll sound worse on speakers but at least Iā€™m going in the right direction.

Thanks for the tip on the ā€œXā€ compressor D. Iā€™ve got the guitar starting to sound right and the bass is on the way there except itā€™s a bit farty.

Heyā€¦ I checked out that web site. Looks like a FUN band to play in. Good score Mark! :agree:

Do they have tunes online somewhere?

D

I dunno D. I have all the albums (obviously). Iā€™ll ask if I can put one or two songs up somewhere.

Iā€™m a bit too ā€œrockā€ and they are blues/R&B so my guitar vocabulary was stretched a little thin and did verge into ā€œinappropriateā€ places on some of the songsā€¦ well letā€™s face it, they are mostly 12-bar variations and come the 5th solo Iā€™ve run out of ideas! It would be good to have a bit more time to work on some of the guitar parts rather than just ā€œsurvivalā€.

Iā€™d love to play with them again. The bass player and singer already gig together; the keys player, I donā€™t know, but the drummer has got itchy stick-hands to do something again. Geographically weā€™re 200 miles apart but that doesnā€™t have to be a problem for the right gigs.

Itā€™s awful to sit-in on a stage when everyone knows your sittā€™inā€¦ Everyone thanks for the job you did, and then takes a deep breath and turns the other wayā€¦
:)
:p
:laugh:

I was a great fill-in bass playerā€¦
thatā€™s what filled in my calendar to seven days a weekā€¦
Eight days if there were matineesā€¦

Billā€¦

Well the guys are talking about doing a few ā€œchoiceā€ gigs later this year and next so weā€™ll see how that pans out.

Itā€™s funny - my son said my guitar sounded great out of FOH but on the recording itā€™s a fizzy, weedy mess. I recorded the exact same feed - an SM57 split into the desk and the recording rig. Anyway, lotā€™s of EQ, lots of multiband compression and a slice of Free Amp has done wonders. I should have made some notes on what the PA boys were doing with the soundā€¦

Ok, hereā€™s a couple of toonsā€¦

Tunes here

Enjoy

Oh yes!
:agree: Fresh air! Thank you!

Yepā€¦
Niceā€¦
Mark Aā€¦
I hear some Dutch Mason ā€¦
Hughy Lewis, Donald Dunn and the MGā€™sā€¦
Danny Gratton
Itā€™s BarRoom stuffā€¦
Youā€™d be busy if you wanted to work over hereā€¦

I am sure I can see some blue smoke coming off the voice coils of the speakers in you ampā€¦
The keyboard guy has a nice touchā€¦
The drummer and bass player work well togetherā€¦

Thank you for those linksā€¦
:agree:
:)
:laugh: Your mix works wellā€¦

Billā€¦

Thanks guys. I hope the band like them as much.

Compared to their albums my mixes sound a lot more ā€œrockā€ than ā€œR&Bā€, but thatā€™s what they get for asking me to play guitar and mix the recording :slight_smile: