Lockups, shutdowns and other frustrations

Anyone else have these problems or just me?

1) Move a slider or turn a knob on the MultiBand Compressor and n-Track shuts down (losing your work not yet saved)

2) Sound plays at beginning of song after rewind where it should be silent (audio buffers not clearing on rewind) - even occurs when mixing down

2a) selecting “Rendering” function on mixdown menu causes n-Track to shutdown with error message - does not replace tracks in song as indicated

3) MIDI notes placed at first beat of first measure don’t play

and, worst of all -

4) Sound file that I worked on for many hours yesterday won’t open today. This is the SECOND time I’ve had this happen. No system or program changes were made since file was last played,

All of this is in a REGISTERED version 1746 under WinXP SP2 with all latest drivers, BIOS, etc., etc. AMD Athlon 2000XP, 512M RAM, Darla Echo Sound Card, Sampletank VSTi.

These are some major bugs folks. Anyone else have these problems with n-Track or just me? I really like the interface and features of n-Track BUT if I can’t get this software to be reliable, it’s gone.

i dont encounter that kind of problem with my N-track (v3.0.0) try to download REG CLEAN, dont know if this helps but give it a try. it fixes registration problems in the CPU… i think???

peace…

Dean, I have used REG CLEAN and Registry Mechanic. If fact, after I run either of these programs, n-Track (and only n-Track) has to be re-installed. Why is that? Maybe it is not installing right in the first place?

Anyhow, I am using the lastest (version 4.0.3, 1746) and I am having a terrible time. I keep getting the “n-Track has encountered an error and needs to shutdown” message - usually when some graphic on the screen is being refreshed.

Can anyone confirm the problems I described in my original post? If not, then there is a problem with my PC.

I’d drop Flavio an email with COMPLETE system specs. There may some issue he could help you with directly. What video card are you using? Latest drivers for it? Also, you don’t have any mis-matched sticks of RAM in there do you?

Just a thought…

TG

Quote (gtr4him @ Jan. 31 2005,10:21)
I'd drop Flavio an email with COMPLETE system specs. There may some issue he could help you with directly. What video card are you using? Latest drivers for it? Also, you don't have any mis-matched sticks of RAM in there do you?

Just a thought......

TG

Only 1 RAM card. Video is built-in to motherboard. All lastest drivers installed. WinXP SP2.

Can you edit the MultiBand compressor settings by turning the knobs or moving the sliders? Do MIDI notes at the first beat of the first measure play back on your VSTi's (any)? Do you hear sound when you first hit play after "rewinding" when it should be silent?

I have emailed Flavio - twice - no reply.

Can anyone please check what I have described above and advise? I really want to know what's wrong - my machine or n-Track. Thank you.

Some questions to clarify to anyone that want helps you:

-Have you run ntrack in any moment without this problems? When the problems start, in the same time you install ntrack?

-Using other programs, have you any kind of problem?

luck!

Quote (marce @ Feb. 01 2005,09:34)
Some questions to clarify to anyone that want helps you:

-Have you run ntrack in any moment without this problems? When the problems start, in the same time you install ntrack?

-Using other programs, have you any kind of problem?

luck!

Let me clarify here - I am only having these problems with n-Track. Everything else on my system is working fine including Sound Forge, CD Architect, Nero Wave Editor/CD burner, Pristine Sound Audio restoration and Cakewalk (which I don't like).

So, my questions still remain from above - have you tried the situations I described in n-Track? Do they work on your PC? If they do then there is a problem with my PC. If they don't, then there are problems in n-Track. That's all I want to know.

Please advise, anyone. Thank you.

There are definitely some issues with NTrack, I’ve experienced the sound after rewind and random MIDI notes not playing back (I always leave a couple of empty measures at the beginning of a song). But the only time NTrack has crashed on me lately is with questionable plugins.

I haven’t had these problems w/ n unless my machine was set up wrong. It has been set up wrong a few times, and n is a sensitive enough (does anyone object to my using the descriptor “fragile?”) to point out these problems. People complain about n being buggy, but usually it is a buggy computer. N isn’t made by microsoft or digidesign or adobe, remember? Just Flavio, working away for us. He has created a great program, and it works really well in ideal situations, but he doesn’t have the time to forsee all of the problems your system might have and accomidate (sp?) for them, so if your computer isn’t set up right, then it won’t work right. It is good about pointing out flaws in our system. :) most of us have systems that aren’t set up quite right. I know my pc isn’t the model of perfection. I have two copies of windows installed on it! :D But maybe if you can tell us some more about your system, some of the smart pc guys on here (I don’t put myself in that category) can help.

fish

The tweaks on this page may help:

http://www.musicxp.net/

Hope it helps some.

I had the same sorts of problems as you are, but they went away when I upgraded to version 4.

-John
:cool:

YES!
I had all of that.
I e-mailed Flavio and he responded, but It didnt help.
Sorry…But…I gave up. N-track simply would not run, it crashed. It’s a P3 900mhz win98 machine, 128 RAM
…10 months later…(Jan 2004)
We bought a cheap Compaq at Sam’s club. $500.00 XP machine, built in soundcard, came with a 17 inch monitor, modem, NIC card.

I loaded N-track —And its been a full year -NOT ONE CRASH!!!

Probably doesnt help but…I comiserate!

Thanks folks. I am not purposely dissing n-Track - I really like it’s potential. I used Cubase for years prior to this and it too has it’s quirks and bugs. But nothing as bad as a file that n-Track refuses to open after it has played for hours previously. That one I just can’t get over.

I do use a lot of plugins including VSTi’s. Normally the scan runs with no problem so I don’t think that plugins are the problem. If anything it’s a video problem - the lockups and shutdowns almost always happen when I’m adjusting a setting or when the screen is refreshing after a function completes. I have an AMD 2000XP CPU with 256M RAM and a ProSavage integrated graphics driver on the motherboard. The sound card is a Echo Darla. I have all the latest drivers installed (as of a month ago).

I used this exact same hardware to run Cubase under Win98 with as many as 30 audio tracks and a dozen or more plugins including VSTi’s. When I upgraded to WinXP I was horrified to find that my version of Cubase was not XP compatible - it was too late at that point to undo everything so I decided to try n-Track.

I will try the XP tweak tips referenced above and see what happens. Thanks again.

Your not dissing it, just trying to get help.
Get this!
The trial version worked flawlessly for me…so I bought the full version (42.00) Same computer, ONLY the FULL version did not work! $42.00 for nothing, never did get it to work.
But once I replaced the computer, it works great I love n-track and boast about it on other forumes frequently.

Are your difficulties still there when only using n-track’s native plug-ins ? I don’t have the problems you are describing, using Ver. 4 and win 2k.

Potentially the issue with a song not reloading is to do with vst incompatibilities. According to developers the vst format is not very tightly defined leading to differences in interpretations and all sorts of bugs. I also use Orion Platinum which has had various problems with VSTs over the years, including not being able to load old songs. But the developer has recently added the option to disable vst and or DX plugs on loading up a song; this usually permits a corrupted song to load, minus plug-ins of course. Perhaps that is a feature which N-track should get.

Well folks, an update here I’m glad to report - I downloaded and installed the latest beta version 4.0.4 last night and guess what? It works PERFECTLY!!!

I don’t understand what changed but I’ll take it! Everything seems to work differently than 4.0.3 - smooth. Maybe there was a hickup in the original install that finally cleared or ????

Anyhow, all my plugins work (n-Track, VST, VSTi, DX) and I played around for an hour or more with NO CRASHES!!!

Yeah! Thanks for all your help and tips. Now I can get busy making music (an even bigger challenge).

yay!:)