looking for a midi program

need to display chord names

This is off-topic, so please forgive me. I’m wondering if anyone out there knows of a midi program that would simply display the names of the chords I am playing. I don’t need a full blown sequencer or music tutorial program. I don’t know a lot of theory and I just want to see what I’m playing on the keyboard. Ideally it could pass the midi data on to n-track so I could run both at once.

Does something like this exist? I tried a search and couldn’t really come up with anything.

rod

I’m not sure, but I think those music notation programs (Sibelius, Finale etc.) can read midi data and then score it.
I don’t use them…just seen them

Not sure if they work in real time or not…

Rich

Go to gnmidi, the freeware section, and then check out midchord

While you’re there, check out some other neet things as well.
I think Marce posted this link once.

I have another (gui) freeware program, but it’s on an old (98) archive CD somewhere, so I’ll have to go and look (at work right now).

HtH.

W

Ok - just reread your post.

You’re looking for a real time thing ?

Hmmmm

I think the proggie I have at home could do something like that, but I’ll have to go and check.

W.

Sorry for all the replies.

This looks like it might be close…

Quote (rod @ May 24 2005,20:49)
This is off-topic, so please forgive me. I’m wondering if anyone out there knows of a midi program that would simply display the names of the chords I am playing. I don’t need a full blown sequencer or music tutorial program. I don’t know a lot of theory and I just want to see what I’m playing on the keyboard. Ideally it could pass the midi data on to n-track so I could run both at once.

Does something like this exist? I tried a search and couldn’t really come up with anything.

rod

If the link Wihan post is usefull to you, say us, there are some others with similar purposes for free, but i need spent some time googling them…
The “Realtime” chord display is a feature you found in many keyboards, my yamaha does. I remember a freebie proggie to play the “Styles” of yamaha that recognizes your chords and display the name, and also output to midi. But i must see at house how it was named.

Ok, i found it:

Realtime Style Performer (free), it is for “auto-accompainment” purposes, but can be usefull anyway.